Canada 1972 1 Dollar - silver

9 posts
Check out this coin;

I ended up buying this off my boss at bullion value a few years back,as he was going to have it scrapped for melting down.

Talk about getting a bargain.

Please let me know what you think.

Aidan.

Moved by ZacUK from Numismatic questions to Free discussion
Hi, I've added that coin in the catalog last week. I don't know why they made that one in silver though, as all Voyageur Dollars since 1968 were made of nickel, I guess it was not supposed to be issued anyway. According to World Coins, it was struck as a proof and worth about 8,50 US. Yours seems to be an impaired proof, since it is a bit rusted, but the frosted designs are still noticable.

Regards,

Ginger
Si tu cognes ta tête contre une cruche et que ça sonne creux, ce n'est pas forcément la cruche... lollll mon proverbe préféré !
Ginger,
  This particular type can be found listed in the Collector's Issues sections of 'Coins of Canada' by J.A. Haxby & R.C. Willey,& probably in a similarly titled section in Charlton.

As to Krause,they have a Mickey Mouse way of doing things with Canadian coins.

Aidan.
I have the book written by Haxby and Willey, and I don't think I saw it there. And I'm sorry, but I'm not sure to understand what you mean by a "Mickey Mouse Way", I've never heard that before (my native language being French). I found the coin in my WC when I was looking for something else, and I could'nt recalled it. In my Canadian Coins book, they don't list proofs, so I guess that's why I didn't see it, or maybe I need new glasses lolll.

Regards,

Ginger
Si tu cognes ta tête contre une cruche et que ça sonne creux, ce n'est pas forcément la cruche... lollll mon proverbe préféré !
Ginger,
  This series of collector's Dollars are actually in a section classed as Proof-like - better than Unc.,but not good enough to be a Proof.

Have a look in Charlton.

The term 'Mickey Mouse' actually refers to the confusing way that the catalogues have been compiled.

My native (& only) language is English anyway.I have a poor command of foreign languages.

Aidan.
Ok, thanks for your explanations. I'm fluent enough in English to understand most of your posts, so it's no problem if you don't speak French.

Regards,

Ginger
neilithic, reviving again...

I believe the 1972 50% silver Voyageur dollar is referred to as a SPECIMEN finish. It came in a box where the coin was not encapsulated and was touching a porous sponge. These conditions, combined with fingerprints, have left many of these dollars with a rusty speckled patina.

"Mickey Mouse Way" can mean unprofessional, similar to the way Euro Disney got started.
I love that colouring/patina.
Numista referee for Canada and Estonia.
Quote: torontokubaneilithic, reviving again...

It came in a box where the coin was not encapsulated and was touching a porous sponge. These conditions, combined with fingerprints, have left many of these dollars with a rusty speckled patina.

"Mickey Mouse Way" can mean unprofessional, similar to the way Euro Disney got started.
Here's a couple of mine that developed beautiful patinas. The first coins pics don't do it full justice. The purple and blues really shine in the right light.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:20.