Goodbye, Numista!

85 posts

» Quick access to the last post

After a couple of bad swaps (two which I am still sorting out) and this crazy numista-falling-apart situation, I've decided to leave. I'll continue MPCC, but I'm not doing anything else here.

Sorry guys!
Very sorry to hear that, i had no swaps with you (although i always thought we would in future), but it was great to read your replies to various threads here and i always valued your opinion.
I really hope you return some day, but if not, good luck in everything!
As the sublime Miss Kart has already said it all, let me add only this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Very sorry to hear that I hope youll manage to sort out your bad swaps, but I am glad that you will continue with the MPCC. For the MPCC do you mean you will continue to finish this one or also future MPCC's?
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Daniel,

I know that we haven't always seen eye to eye. I would like it very much if you can PM me to discuss your difficulties.

Thank you for running MPCC I and II.

I would ask you to stay but it seems like you have made your decision. Please stay...I know that you make Numista better: I also know that Numista will get back on track.
All of the old guard are hanging on with that hope!
I know it seems like not a lot gets done around here. However, I'm here for everyone else to still be here. If it is like rats leaving a sinking ship...well...this ship can be salvaged. This site is a treasure. The site's members are the special bit about the site.

I know many of you have become disheartened.

I'm looking to change that but I'll need all the help I can get. I can see some of you are out...but hang in there. These things require patience.
people their patience is running out, quite frankly I understand why.
Nordfljot Groningen-Friesland.

Referee for Dutch Republic, Netherlands and Frisia

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008299353139&sk=photos
Yes, I know. It has been too long for some issues. Just hang on in there.
So Xavier is gone, you have contact with him, but before he left for a while, he even started to ignore messages from me (referee) about things, I can see he read them, but he never responded. in my opinion he is doing this all himself and people who still say everything is gonna be alright, com'on guys you been screaming that for months now, and what happened? more tutor go, referees gone, more and more problems, so I don't think we have to hang on...

Then don't, if you don't want to. I will though and when you return I'll be here. I am in contact with Xavier and it will come to fruition a path forwards.

I have no idea on time scale but there will be changes.
Never give up and keep on fighting! :wiz:
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Bam you are in contact with him, all other guys aren't, and as you might have read in any other my other posts concerning numista her downfall (so to speak, mostly those titles), I don't ask for much. I myself have many things to do, however I take the time to write something. I think Xavier can also write something, maybe once a month, I'm not asking him for 10 pages, just something. But indeed I have had some bad experiences with Xavier in the past, so yeah I'm one of the negative guys.

It's ok to be negative. You do it positively. Xavier will not give this...as he has no time.
Sorry Bam,

But it's hard to believe the guy doesn't have sparetime to write a message of a few sentences, I'm giving him a month to write it!?!

Yes, I understand.
To answer all of you:

First of all, I am not deleting my account, so I can occasionally do things here.

Second, I don't want MPCC to be lost, along with Numista, if Numista possibly stops functioning. As a result, I am planning on "reincarnating" MPCC (after MPCC III is over) as something else on its own website (which I will manage).

And third of all, I wold like to remain in contact with all of you (unlike someone else we all know...  :D ), even if not on this website.
I am sorry to hear that you leave, and thank you for the work you have done for Numista.
Though I would like to ask to you and  everyone else to please stop saying that "Numista is dead" "Numista is dying" "Numista possibly stops functioning". There is no reason at all to think that Numista will be offline or abandoned anywhere soon.
Mr. Euromunt,

Face it, this site dying a slow and painfull death. How many more proofs do you want?

Admin gone for good, Referees leaving on weekly basis and scammers get protected.
Main Referee for Hutt-River
Quote: MuenzenhamsterMr. Euromunt,

Face it, this site dying a slow and painfull death. How many more proofs do you want?

Admin gone for good, Referees leaving on weekly basis and scammers get protected.
- Admin not gone for good, there is contact with him and when there are technical issues he is here to fix them.

-Referees say that they go but most of them still working.

- Scammers aren't getting protected, go back to October 2013, when registering at Numista, did you need to give your full name or address ? don't think so.
I think he means that you cannot write the name/address of a scammer on the forum. Due to rights of France.

@Muenzenhamster

But sh** this page has still one datailed catalog that is accessible and free for everyone (or you have a better example ;) ). People come and go that has not to do with the death!

And numista is still democratic, and can be taken on each his opinion (even yours), or is there a more important criterion for you?  B.

Kind Regards Erdnussbier

PS: Sorry I'm not a fan of defeatism 0:)
Quote: HippaforalkusI think he means that you cannot write the name/address of a scammer on the forum. Due to rights of France.
100% correct. I want to see a "indian" guy taking me to courts after scamming me for my coins because his adress is written here so others are warned.

If you ask me, i think not allowing to write a adress here is a big lie and there are no such laws in france and even if there is one, who cares?
Quote: Erdnussbier@Muenzenhamster

But sh** this page has still one datailed catalog that is accessible and free for everyone (or you have a better example ;) ). People come and go that has not to do with the death!

And numista is still democratic, and can be taken on each his opinion (even yours), or is there a more important criterion for you?  B.

Kind Regards Erdnussbier

PS: Sorry I'm not a fan of defeatism 0:)
I am not putting any coins here anymore because of securitie issues. It has no https: or other security mechanism and when i read thiefs can hack the accounts and know which coins to get from whom i am not updating my databases anymore. good little my valueables are anyway not at home but you never know.
Quote: Euromunt

- Admin not gone for good, there is contact with him and when there are technical issues he is here to fix them.

- Scammers aren't getting protected, go back to October 2013, when registering at Numista, did you need to give your full name or address ? don't think so.
- the last 3 referees quited because the admin ignored them for months

- that i cant proof

- they are protected by some peculiar law, which is written nowhere
It is forbidden to write someones name/address in forum here by forum rules.
Thats why it applies to us.
French law does dictate the rules on scammers. I even created a blacklist that I was going to publish. I still have the list.
QuoteI am not putting any coins here anymore because of securitie issues. It has no https: or other security mechanism and when i read thiefs can hack the accounts and know which coins to get from whom i am not updating my databases anymore. good little my valueables are anyway not at home but you never know.
Thieves hacking Numista accounts ? I haven't ever heard about that and believe it to be nonsense, again..
Quote: EuromuntThieves hacking Numista accounts ? I haven't ever heard about that and believe it to be nonsense, again..
"Durandal's collection got stolen by someone with a letter 'merci numista'. "
Quote: Muenzenhamster
Quote: EuromuntThieves hacking Numista accounts ? I haven't ever heard about that and believe it to be nonsense, again..
"Durandal's collection got stolen by someone with a letter 'merci numista'. "
not by hacking, he probably swapped with someone and gave his address for it. If I recall correctly Durandal had his collection open, so you could see what he had. Worth stealing? well looks like it was. The one that did it, probably lived in close range.

Quote: KartWayIt is forbidden to write someones name/address in forum here by forum rules.
Thats why it applies to us.
Thatswhy i assert that numista protects scammer, fraudsters and other criminals.
It's stated in the Numista Terms of Service, you agreed with them when you registered, if you don't agree with them anymore you know what you need to do..  
The rule is there for a very good reason. We live in a society where anyone is innocent until proven guilty. If a swap you make goes wrong, you can submit the evidence to those in charge (Like BAM777). They will investigate the issue and attempt to resolve it. If it does turn out that the person is a scammer, a warning will be put on their profile for all to see. (Never trade with anyone unless you have checked their profile, reviews received and reviews given)

What does not work is when a swap goes wrong for any reason, and the first thing someone does is cry "Scammer" and place the person's details on the forum. How would you like it if you mailed coins in a swap then they get lost in the mail and the next thing you know your details are splurged all over the forum accusing you of being a scammer or a thief? We do not lynch people here.

Those who do scam or thieve will be marked or removed. The rule is there to protect those who are innocent from being tagged scammers by lynch mobs.
Quotenot by hacking, he probably swapped with someone and gave his address for it. If I recall correctly Durandal had his collection open, so you could see what he had. Worth stealing? well looks like it was. The one that did it, probably lived in close range.
Big difference if you ask me, and these things can easily convince other people to stop using Numista because it's an unsafe website which it isn't. These are the things (there are much more things being told) that are killing Numista and not the limited presence of Xavier!!
Please don't use this thread as an opportunity to argue about the fate of Numista. I am just saying that I am leaving, not that everyone else should too.
Quote: SpookieThe rule is there for a very good reason. We live in a society where anyone is innocent until proven guilty. If a swap you make goes wrong, you can submit the evidence to those in charge (Like BAM777). They will investigate the issue and attempt to resolve it. If it does turn out that the person is a scammer, a warning will be put on their profile for all to see. (Never trade with anyone unless you have checked their profile, reviews received and reviews given)

What does not work is when a swap goes wrong for any reason, and the first thing someone does is cry "Scammer" and place the person's details on the forum. How would you like it if you mailed coins in a swap then they get lost in the mail and the next thing you know your details are splurged all over the forum accusing you of being a scammer or a thief? We do not lynch people here.

Those who do scam or thieve will be marked or removed. The rule is there to protect those who are innocent from being tagged scammers by lynch mobs.
No why not let bam777 or other referees make a thread where after their investigation the adress (only the streetname without any numbers) of the scammers is written down?
Changing nicks to scam users is easy, moving houses is not so easy. There are ways toprotect us from scammers,  but its not wanted because of the peculiar policy from a admin who does not even care about this site.
Quote: Euromunt

-Admin is here just to fix technical issues. I agree. But is it enough for You?

-Referees say that they don't want to be referees any more but they are because Xavier is not on Numista and he is the only one who can make someone not to be a referee any more.

-Scammers really do get protected on some weird way.
Check my doubles. ;)
Will I be the only one to say that having referees was a bad idea?

Unless someone is active to hire and retire the referees, you simply have referees who leave but are still technically "hired", so the requests are never filed and members complain. That and referees tend to do things their way instead of what the guidelines highlight. I think that all referees have good intentions and do good work, contributing to the site, etc, but when people want to leave and people want to join the team, without the man in charge people become disappointed.

On a side note: do not send in requests for United States. Since dptashny is in charge of US, no one will file these requests
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
I think the referee idea was terrible. Would have been better to have a correction squad on the catalogue. It would take a lot of the flack referee's currently get away from them because their coins would be getting added. Everyone would have their own specific work areas. For instance either go by continent or by what you're comfortable with !
I think the referee idea was worth it to try, though I have to agree that it didn't work out really..
In my opinion, there should be more team members and the team should only consist of the hardcore Numista members and not like the referees, everyone could become one and nobody ever asked if you had any knowledge of the coinage of the countries you were the referee for  B.
The sad thing is I've been here a fair while and I've offered to be the uk & colonies referee but had no reply. Something I find extremely ignorant. So disappointed that I wouldn't even do one country or territory now !
Boys, and my lovely finno-ugorian Sister,

1) I have to admit I did not read all posts carefully, as I am just back from lovely Poland without internet.

2) Daniel, do not leave! - I know you, you know me, we are not the kind of people who just say: "you know I am off. No, you are not! - you have good ideas, you have even proven some traits of some of the "organizational design" perspective of redesigning Numista. You are, Daniel, a valueable resource here, so if you leave it is a more major loss than some of the mentioned referees or teammembers.

3) The referee idea is GREAT. unfortunately The application sucks greatly. Noone there to monitor, reinforce, encourage and reward, ... so what the heck you expect? - personally I feel great and competent as a referee, and I acknowledge that some others have been recruited pre-maturely.

4) RE: Ben contacting Xavi :8D  ... good luck... the problem, Ben, is not that He has no time, but that He has no idea...
well in my opinion Xavier was also a bad 'leader' or admin before his temporary leave, I sent his messages for help etc in December 2013, He never read them. So sorry guys, if Xavier wants to keep his referees he also has to respond to them.

He was great two years ago, he always responded, he participated in discussions like a normal member. And he did the job right: currencies need to be deleted? Currencies deleted. Members want to become team members? They do a good job, now they're on the team.

Miss the good ol' days.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Attention, attention... I'd like some attention, PLEASE!

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic11700.html

I find this place is always good for a quick laugh. Every time I pop in, I get a chuckle. Same old tricks, same old characters, same old story and now, same old catalogue, without updates, without new entries, without referees, etc. Thank you for the free laughs.
Quote: torontokubaAttention, attention... I'd like some attention, PLEASE!
Good, I'm not the only one who thinks announcing your "brave hate" and leave on Numista is annoying. Unless you made some serious contributions like Laurent, nobody cares.
Kenny

Quote: SmartOneKg
Quote: torontokubaAttention, attention... I'd like some attention, PLEASE!
Good, I'm not the only one who thinks announcing your "brave hate" and leave on Numista is annoying. Unless you made some serious contributions like Laurent, nobody cares.
Kenny, that doesn't sound like you appreciate the work he did.

I like MPCC, Dan did a good job with that. But not much else, you don't need to put up more than several announcements to say you're leaving.
Kenny

Quote: SmartOneKgI like MPCC, Dan did a good job with that. But not much else, you don't need to put up more than several announcements to say you're leaving.
it was a post from two bloody years ago. I stopped myself collecting twice too in two years, so it's possible.

There's that post and several others. My point being, we should be concerned about Xavier's inactivity, but there's simply more than enough drama about how Numista is "dying".
Kenny

Quote: Kuna-Scammers really do get protected on some weird way.
Thank you. Its a fact that scammers and thiefs get protected here and the people in charge are hiding behind peculiar laws.
Quote: torontokubawithout new entries,
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/latestcoins.html click!
Some countries might still get lucky. The overall experience I encountered, was an annoying, pointless interaction with a referee who had to check with Xavier, first. For two weeks, we had to discuss the Polish lettering I used in the catalogue entry. It had never been a problem with any other entries, previously. I offered to write everything without the Polish letters, just English. Still no entry, "Xavier must be consulted", was the answer I received. What's the point? I just cancelled the requests and reduced my participation here by 99%.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic24363.html

I'm briefly catching up on a few tidbits here. Just read Kuna's recent experience with the one who keeps departing, saying goodbye, but never leaves. I sincerely sympathize with Kuna and understand his frustration. :(
Quote: bam777... If it is like rats leaving a sinking ship...well...this ship can be salvaged. This site is a treasure. The site's members are the special bit about the site.

I know many of you have become disheartened.

I'm looking to change that but I'll need all the help I can get. I can see some of you are out...but hang in there.
From where I'm sitting, you already need all the help you can get to remedy your delusions. Rats are usually the first to leave a sinking ship and this one is sinking. What are you implying about those that stay with you? To me, they must be the mentally challenged rats that can't find their way out, or the rats that are brainwashed by your pathetic attempt at staying positive. This ship can be salvaged? This site is a treasure? ...hang in there? Who are you kidding? You're making a laughingstock out of yourself.

I cannot use 80% of the features on Numista since late 2013. Nothing has been done to remedy this. Reading your BS is an insult to anyone with problems since late last year. Give it a rest with the clown act.

Reality check.

It took me over 30 minutes to remove my 100+ coins and the comments next to them, from my now empty exchange list. The page closed on me four times in the process. It used to take seconds. You are truly delusional and out of touch with the reality of the situation here. The worst part is, you're in charge and justifying this mess, while looking for control.

Disheartened was last year, you're so out of touch with reality here, you don't even notice the level of indifference among members and that the evacuation mode is in full effect.

40 000 members and I don't think you can find 50 of them participating on the forum. Wake up.
Quote: torontokubaI cannot use 80% of the features on Numista since late 2013. Nothing has been done to remedy this. Reading your BS is an insult to anyone with problems since late last year. Give it a rest with the clown act.

Reality check.

It took me over 30 minutes to remove my 100+ coins and the comments next to them, from my now empty exchange list. The page closed on me four times in the process. It used to take seconds. You are truly delusional and out of touch with the reality of the situation here. The worst part is, you're in charge and justifying this mess, while looking for control.

Disheartened was last year, you're so out of touch with reality here, you don't even notice the level of indifference among members and that the evacuation mode is in full effect.

40 000 members and I don't think you can find 50 of them participating on the forum. Wake up.
It needs to be something with your computer as other members have no problems at all.
I must be a mentally challenged rat, then.
Quote: EuromuntIt needs to be something with your computer as other members have no problems at all.
There is nothing wrong with his computer, the problem is server side and dates from December of 2013 when Numista was migrated to "improved" (sic) servers and the images transferred to a third party host.

I have the same problems, as do others. Don't tell me it's my computer or my ISP or my router or my firewall. I don't insult your intelligence, so please don't insult mine. I have had the same issue with my old computer, my new computer, my wife's computer and my laptop and from locations hundreds of miles apart. If I sign out, which as what I do most of the time to use the catalog, everything works perfectly. The moment I sign back in again the site becomes useless.

You don't have to be Einstein to work out that user profiles were corrupted during the transfer. Equally, as the landlord is gone, nobody remains with the technical savvy to fix the problem. Would you be so complacent if you were one of those affected?

Please fanbois, don't aggravate your Carpal Tunnel Syndrome to use your magnificent debating skills to let me know that the site works just fine for YOU, hence there is no problem. I don't give a rat's arse.
Quote: imrehI must be a mentally challenged rat, then.
Yeah, me too, I feel like one of the special members bam777 refers to.

Quote: bam777The site's members are the special bit about the site.
:snif:
I love it! The usual out of context element.
Quote: EuromuntIt needs to be something with your computer as other members have no problems at all.
Euromunt, I promise you, it's not any one of my computers. Since 2013, there are many months of built up frustration with every brief use of the site. It doesn't help to see a disempowered moderator sugarcoat all the problems that are still piling up.
Quote: torontokuba
Quote: imrehI must be a mentally challenged rat, then.
Yeah, me too, I feel like one of the special members bam777 refers to.
I guess you have misunderstood my statement. I wish to align with you in no ways, although I have to say if you experience the hick-ups and so does Phil, then these are obvious issues, which I am not experiencing.

I am no fanbois of the "Numista leadership" (this term is nonexistent by definition) but I do value the site and the members.

As an experienced librarian, Kuba, you could copy my earlier posts blaming "The-Team" or Ben personally for various undue actions, irresponsibility and unfairness, and you will be right.
However, over the months and years, I have learnt that the root problem is Xavier and Xavier only!

Ben, Kenny and some others, who have given up, hanged themselves, and dissappeared, are just victims like you and me.

They did not have the management tools to play the promised "teammember" status at all, others like Kuna who was named as referee, but never received the tools was put into a foolish situation. (I have VERY high respect for Kuna, btw.)

I had the chance to talk to Xavier twice, he is hopeless in decision making, so as a management consultant, I have no high hopes for Ben to take over, but I still have a small one.

Despite your cynical posts recently, I trust that Ben has developed into a competent person to take over this site. He has proven availibility and respect for members. If he gets the support he needs from other members, he will just do this job, much better, than you have ever seen before...

p.s.
You cannot ridicule Daniel either, for hesitating to stay or leave just because he was too emotionally involved in doing something for this site. He has developed a love&hate relationship for this site, just like You did with Agatka or Agnieszka when you were young...

So, if you think, YOU are the always-right-consistent value guard on this site, then think twice or 23 times!
Phil, Kuba, I'm just wondering if your issues (that I am not experiencing myself) may be related to the 7-day Situation most of frequent visitors are aware of. If everything works fine for you when not logged in it means the servers, latency and whatever else environmental is in fine order. If the only change that makes things break is you logging into your account I'm quite confident it must be something in your profile or in the logic that was coded (I assume again) to accommodate the Situation.

If you haven't tried it yet, I'd suggest creating another account (just for testing purposes) and seeing if the same issues occur when you login using that.
It would be no fun and rather boring to have your full agreement or support on an issue. We'd have little to type about.

Quote: imrehDespite your cynical posts recently, I trust that Ben has developed into a competent person to take over this site. He has proven availibility and respect for members. If he gets the support he needs from other members, he will just do this job, much better, than you have ever seen before...
Your track record on trusting and backing authority figures on Numista is somewhat shaky and reads like many contradictions.

Quote: imrehp.s.
You cannot ridicule Daniel either, for hesitating to stay or leave just because he was too emotionally involved in doing something for this site. He has developed a love&hate relationship for this site, just like You did with Agatka or Agnieszka when you were young...
The one departing and you imreh, have a lot of "Goodbye" threads between the two of you, yet, you're both still here. Drama Queen anyone? It's comical, I don't expect either one of you to actually leave for good.

Goodbye!
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic15083.html

I'm just fed up with guys pretending there is quality and value here, sugarcoating crap and calling it caviar. Speaks volumes, when members show more interest and care in solving Numista's profile issues, documented here on the forum by Phil and myself since 2013. Neither quality moderator expressed an interest in these issues. I won't even mention Xavier.

Who's Agatka or Agnieszka? Got any pictures worth posting? ;)
Quote: smoked_caramelPhil, Kuba, I'm just wondering if your issues (that I am not experiencing myself) may be related to the 7-day Situation most of frequent visitors are aware of. If everything works fine for you when not logged in it means the servers, latency and whatever else environmental is in fine order. If the only change that makes things break is you logging into your account I'm quite confident it must be something in your profile or in the logic that was coded (I assume again) to accommodate the Situation.

If you haven't tried it yet, I'd suggest creating another account (just for testing purposes) and seeing if the same issues occur when you login using that.
Good thinking my friend, I've considered the possibility but that rather tasteless affair was a few weeks before the problems started.

A second account is an inspired idea though, thank you! I'd probably be banned for creating a duplicate account however :)  

Maybe I could ask a certain member if ICANN use one of his if he's not busy using them to steal coins?
Quote: smoked_caramelPhil, Kuba, I'm just wondering if your issues (that I am not experiencing myself) may be related to the 7-day Situation most of frequent visitors are aware of.
No, but thanks for taking the time to consider the issue. It's more than any moderator has done. They're too busy being positive, I guess. My issues are directly linked to these improvements...

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic25241.html
Quote: torontokubaNo, but thanks for taking the time to consider the issue. It's more than any moderator has done. They're too busy being positive, I guess. My issues are directly linked to these improvements...

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic25241.html
Yes, that may be the case. But knowing a little bit about IT ...  :° ... I don't see how server re-configuration would only be problematic when you are logged in.
Quote: smoked_caramelYes, that may be the case. But knowing a little bit about IT ...  :° ... I don't see how server re-configuration would only be problematic when you are logged in.
Yeah, I'm in charge of smart-ass comments, so, can't really help in your field. ;)

I can only shed light on the timeline. My last ability to swap and communicate effectively via Numista, was in Nov. 2013, as my ratings indicate. I did a couple of Numista swaps after that, but, they were done privately and outside of the numista rating system, because of these issues.
Well, I'll be damned!

It would seem that after following the advice of our friend above, the reason the website is dysfunctional is as a result of some petty tinkering with some accounts. Either by ineptitude or malice I've been prevented from accessing the site for over eight months.

Numista is getting more and more like a circus every day.
Quote: pnightingaleWell, I'll be damned!

It would seem that after following the advice of our friend above, the reason the website is dysfunctional is as a result of some petty tinkering with some accounts. Either by ineptitude or malice I've been prevented from accessing the site for over eight months.

I hope it's just a bug and will get fixed, hopefully soon.
Quote: pnightingaleWell, I'll be damned!

This might be the case with both of you guys (Phil, Kuba) Numista is full of hackers, a recent breakdown generated me bogus junk e-mails on my corporate account, as described here: https://en.numista.com/forum/topic31620.html

So, my IT guys did the action and this is the summary message I have sent to Ben, after the resolution of the problem:

Since then everything works fine.
I do not argue that it shall be Numista's job to clear that, but since any mediocre IT guy can hack Numista, I suggest you find one and clear your neighbourhood. Of course, ethically!
Quote: bam777I love it! The usual out of context element.
You've been here long enough for this...

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic25830.html

Why hasn't this been looked into by a moderator or addressed by Xavier, for so many months?

Let me guess, I should hang in there, support you and be patient? 8)
Quote: Muenzenhamster"Durandal's collection got stolen by someone with a letter 'merci numista'.
Quote: Hippaforalkusnot by hacking, he probably swapped with someone and gave his address for it. If I recall correctly Durandal had his collection open, so you could see what he had. Worth stealing? well looks like it was. The one that did it, probably lived in close range.
Just an FYI...

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic16709.html

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic28385.html
I still didn't get to find out the die number of his florin...
Bye, tash.
Don's World Coin Gallery is somewhat a copy of Numista. It's run primarily by one person, Don Norris, who is a genius website creator. I use Numista for fine details, and WCG for quick identification of common coins.

The primary difference between Numista and WCG is that Numista's reward for the contributors are all "Attaboys" or "Words of praise substituting for something more substantial". Don initially began WCG as an online catalog, arranged differently, and in a fairly easy to use manner. Having people to list their collections and facilitating a means of easy exchange got many followers. After getting hundreds of people using his website, he did what Mnumista has not done . Don began selling coins to the hundreds of members and other thousands of users. My guess is that his sales amount to hundreds, to possibly thousands, of USD weekly.

Don's sales of coins has helped him to ease into a life of being a fairly well paid retired US Government Retiree. If Xavier, or whoever that may take his position, did something similar, one thing is certain ... being paid well for doing something that you enjoy, makes for a more positive attitude and has it's own rewards, too. [It's Capitalism ... something that the current idiot leaders of the USA no longer believe is good or needed. Socialists and Communists always see Capitailsm as a great evil, but no other system hasor will feed as many as the Capitalist system does!]

I suggest that someone takes Numista and "Makes a "Buck" with it!!
((Buck is North American slang for a Dollar.))

Sincerely, Bob Butler
sorry buts thats bollocks. i personally wouldnt have any motivation to add coins to the catalog so that other guys can generate even more cash from their website.   <:D
in numistas case i have stopped because the development of the site has also stopped.

the thing with the referee scammer protection is a other serious issue..............
Quote: Muenzenhamstersorry buts thats bollocks. i personally wouldnt have any motivation to add coins to the catalog so that other guys can generate even more cash from their website.   <:D
 That is very short sighted, if the owner was making some money then all things would run smoothly and it would be VERY nice.

Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
If the site hadn't been over run by self interested individuals out to make a quick buck by exploiting the kindness and naivety of others, then it would run smoothly.

A swapping site like Numista is based upon good Christian/Socialist values of trust, respect, and mutual support. Introduce the Capitalist ideals of exploitation, theft, deceipt, lies and making a quick buck at the other person's expense and the whole system implodes into a pile of rubble.

If members had been honest in their dealings, and not sought to exchange low grade, common coins of little value for high grade, rare coins which are much sought after, then the site would have continued to thrive. Alas, too many leeches, confidence tricksters, liars and thieves jumped on the train, and robbed many of the honest swappers nice passengers and abused many of those who were prepared to altruistically give up their time, resulting in many of them becoming disenchanted and leaving.

There is a lot of truth in the old saying 'fair exchange is no robbery'.

Matt
Quote: Matt_ProbertIf the site hadn't been over run by self interested individuals out to make a quick buck by exploiting the kindness and naivety of others, then it would run smoothly.

A swapping site like Numista is based upon good Christian/Socialist values of trust, respect, and mutual support. Introduce the Capitalist ideals of exploitation, theft, deceipt, lies and making a quick buck at the other person's expense and the whole system implodes into a pile of rubble.

If members had been honest in their dealings, and not sought to exchange low grade, common coins of little value for high grade, rare coins which are much sought after, then the site would have continued to thrive. Alas, too many leeches, confidence tricksters, liars and thieves jumped on the train, and robbed many of the honest swappers nice passengers and abused many of those who were prepared to altruistically give up their time, resulting in many of them becoming disenchanted and leaving.

Matt
Idem dito! ``-
Cents are money too!
Quote: Matt_ProbertIf the site hadn't been over run by self interested individuals out to make a quick buck by exploiting the kindness and naivety of others, then it would run smoothly.

Matt
I disagree with Matt. If this site had been run for profit and given a lot of money to the owner, the site would run better. There are many examples in and out Internet of successful business ruled by the very capitalist idea of 'fair exchange is no robbery'.

If Xavier was making money here, he would be watching that there was no theft here.
Referee for Spain, Iberia (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
Even if Xavier was making money from the site, how would that stop dishonest swappers?

I read this forum quite often and there are numerous posts saying the this site looks after and protects these thieves, I don't think this is the case. Is Numista legally allowed to post names and addresses?

I'm relatively new to this site and haven't done any swaps. But I've made a couple of purchases. I obviously checked out their ratings and forum posts before I made any offer as I don't necessarily trust anyone I don't know. I have no swap history, so offered to pay first.

As Matt says, any swapping site is based on the honesty of individuals, and the site shouldn't be blamed for the dishonest ones.
http://www.facebook.com/NumismaticsUK
I'm not an expert in any kind of coins, but I reckon I'm good at research and will do my best to help. Feel free to tell me my identifications/valuations/gradings are wrong. It's the only way I'll learn.
Quote: BizzoDoesEven if Xavier was making money from the site, how would that stop dishonest swappers?

I read this forum quite often and there are numerous posts saying the this site looks after and protects these thieves, I don't think this is the case. Is Numista legally allowed to post names and addresses?

I'm relatively new to this site and haven't done any swaps. But I've made a couple of purchases. I obviously checked out their ratings and forum posts before I made any offer as I don't necessarily trust anyone I don't know. I have no swap history, so offered to pay first.

As Matt says, any swapping site is based on the honesty of individuals, and the site shouldn't be blamed for the dishonest ones.
Numista  actively protects scammers. They conjur up excuses saying its against the law to warn other collectors. In reallity I call it b£&@ and its just a made up bald lie. There was never a proof of that peculiar french law given. Thats a fact.

Detractors could think the people in charge set up socket puppet accounts to scam us of our valueables. 8~
Quote: MuenzenhamsterNumista  actively protects scammers. They conjur up excuses saying its against the law to warn other collectors. In reallity I call it b£&@ and its just a made up bald lie. There was never a proof of that peculiar french law given. Thats a fact.

Detractors could think the people in charge set up socket puppet accounts to scam us of our valueables. 8~
Sorry, but I disagree. This is nothing to do with French law. The site is accessible globally. If you think that Numista is protecting scammers, then why not set up a blog or a facebook/google+ page that you can publish these names and addresses? I'm sure that whoever hosts those sites will be of the same opinion.

QuoteWhen you publish information about someone without permission, you potentially expose yourself to legal liability even if your portrayal is factually accurate
From here: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/publishing-personal-and-private-information

So basically, everything that anyone posts on this site becomes the legal responsibility of the site owner, that's why there are moderators.
http://www.facebook.com/NumismaticsUK
I'm not an expert in any kind of coins, but I reckon I'm good at research and will do my best to help. Feel free to tell me my identifications/valuations/gradings are wrong. It's the only way I'll learn.
I have wanted to create a blacklist however there is French law. We do not protect but we can only work within the parameters that we are given.

I am not happy that people are getting scammed but sometimes members don't go through the proper procedures for mentioning this. So, they get negative feedback from the scammer and then look just as bad. If they flagged it up straight away...I could set up a warning and ban the member from the forum and/or discontinue their account.
Sorry, but I disagree. This is nothing to do with French law. The site is accessible globally. If you think that Numista is protecting scammers, then why not set up a blog or a facebook/google+ page that you can publish these names and addresses? I'm sure that whoever hosts those sites will be of the same opinion.

(8  (8  (8  (8  (8  (8   (8  (8  (8  (8  (8

You must be joking.  Try to post just a list with the citynames of known scammers and fraudsters.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:56.