Bi metallic coins fantasy issues

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

What are fantasy issues of these coins and why are they so called.
Coins of non existant countries. E.g. Sealand,  Conch republic, ....
Main Referee for Hutt-River
Ah so... So who makes them and who buys them
Private people and companies produce them and sell them to the stupid and uneducated.
Main Referee for Hutt-River
Quote: MuenzenhamsterE.g. Sealand
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?r=&c=&cc=y&cn=y&cj=y&ce=y&cu=y&cat=y&mode=avance&p=1&e=sealand&d=&km=&i=&v=&m=&a=&t=&dg=&w=&g=
Like that comment... It takes enough time (and money) collecting from legitimate countries let alone non existent ones.?
http://www.sealandgov.org/

I will let you judge for yourselvs.
Quote: Walder Coinshttp://www.sealandgov.org/

I will let you judge for yourselvs.
Principality? Where is the castle :)
Cents are money too!
Quote: iknw07554Ah so... So who makes them and who buys them
Who makes them?
Nowadays almost everybody can design  and let mae their own coins. There are lots of coins makers in Europe and Asia too.
Who buy them? Well I can only answer for myself but I would't. :D
Cents are money too!
The biggest disappointment I had in the fantasy coins was the Harry potter coins, given the huge fan base I would have thought someone would come up with useable coins that fans could use at conventions and certain online sites. They could have been bigger than bitcoins if done right, an underground currency that could cross borders but instead we got cheap umimagitive souvenir tokens.
Quote: HoniviThe biggest disappointment I had in the fantasy coins was the Harry potter coins, given the huge fan base I would have thought someone would come up with useable coins that fans could use at conventions and certain online sites. They could have been bigger than bitcoins if done right, an underground currency that could cross borders but instead we got cheap umimagitive souvenir tokens.
The problem with that would be how to enforce an anti-counterfeit system. If they gone higher than BitCoins, then of course anyone with access to a Mint company would ask them to mint them by the thousands, as they don't belong to any country and the Mint wouldn't need authorization to replicate them. Making them of gold or silver (or Dragon heart scales  :wiz:  ) would be a good valuation for them, but again a lot of people would use Gold-platted (or pure) Pyrite, Silver-platted Nickel (or mere Wyvern scales  (;0  ) to profit with them.
Numista referee for the "Viceroyalty of the New Spain" (most of it).
History through coins.
Eli V
I won't agree on the comparison of an physically existent fantasy coin (or medal) in circulation and the cryptocurrencies.

Bitcoin became that big because 1.) Back in the day, you could produce them by mining by yourself a lot easier than today. Indirectly, those Bitcoin mining guys paid for their created Bitcoins in the form of larger electricity bills. Bitcoin mining isn't profitable anymore for usual hardware. If you use your laptop which is, lets say 3 years old, to mine Bitcoins 24h/7 day a week for an whole year. You might be able to create a few dollars maybe, but less than 5 in a year. You'll pay a whole lot more for your electricity. 2.) It is focused on security and furthermore traceability. Without any banks or traditional traders in between.

Furthermore. You can harvest them, you can stack them. If you don't feel the urge to turn your Bitcoins into real money, you don't need a bank at all. Thus, it will either cost you fees to keep them in a bank account, nor will they produce any interest if they sit in your Bitcoin wallet, unlike a savings account.

Last but not least. They have no physical counterpart which is minted or printed. Each country has the capability to increase the amount of money available in the market. And does so each year. At least to compensate for the coins / banknote destroyed in circulation. In contrast to that, Bitcoins can't be damaged - and they couldn't be generated unlimited. Their generation is by default limited. There won't be more than 21 million Bitcoins in existence, ever. The whole system takes Moore's law into account per definition. The potential reward in the system will be divided by two each year. And, briefly spokeny, each new Bitcoin generated will increase the required computing time for the next one.

Nevertheless, sorry for that lengthly excursion.
Quote: MuenzenhamsterCoins of non existant countries. E.g. Sealand,  Conch republic, ....
If you would be just a little smarter you would immerse yourself in the history of these micronations and you would find out that some of them are legally recognized. But unfortunately you are a stupid hamster, poor you.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 14:53.