I'm really struggling to grade this 1/4 Anna..

14 posts

» Quick access to the last post

For me it looks to be UNC but I'm unsure for the higher grades between G and XF Im fine but I hasten to put an official grade on it :)
Ordinary VF, I would say.
No where near VF in afraid the details on it are fantastic. I'll add more pics but it's Definately a minimum XF
Id give it an XF 40 theres just a tad too much detail missing on the reverse for an AU in my opinion
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
I'm gunna try to up the dpi on my scanner later, thanks for the reply mate, I had guessed it to be a good XF :)
A better pic, it shows some marks but it's not that bad in hand.

I'd go for a VF+

Nice coin !

Tony
World coins by date and mint place, 1850-2000
Actually i do also have similar doubt on grading this sailana quarter anna of mine.

The grade for this on looks to be VF with some details worn out and scratches. But it seems to have some mint luster still present.

Maybe they were struck from worn out die? But how can that be possible with so low mintage?
“A man without a hobby is only half alive.”
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
I've just found this better picture I took when I got it..

Can you understand why I thought aUNC ?
VF+
The brim of the crown is worn down to the middle jewel and some of the decoration on Georgie boys robe is flat.  VF+ to XF
Sorry mate, it's a VF+ or an eBay EF.

Sujit, I asked a similar question about lifecycles of dies many years ago and was told that all presses in the industrial age use a type of composite die, i.e. where the date and other smaller features can be changed leaving the rest of the design intact.

Master dies are used to create the actual production models but I strongly suspect that they were kept at the Royal Mint and colonial mint masters would be forced to retool old dies with new dates while waiting for new copies to be cut. Hence the large number of weak strikes when compared to those struck for domestic use.

That's my theory anyway.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Thanks for the analysis Phil. Somewhat makes sense.
“A man without a hobby is only half alive.”
Franklin Delano Roosevelt

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 19:35.