Please help me grade my Franklin Half Dollars

7 posts
I bought these as UNC coins.  I'm very new to this, but using photograde I was guessing MS61-63.

Thanks,
Ryan
Quote: SlackerATXI bought these as UNC coins.  I'm very new to this, but using photograde I was guessing MS61-63.

Thanks,
Ryan
I would say more like XF than uncirculated
I am agree with Tony, those coins are just XF.
Thanks for the reply!

Do you mind taking a look at the pcgs here?
http://www.pcgs.com/Photograde/#/Franklin/Grades

The XF coins linked there lack the luster and are quite worn.

The UNC MS-60-62 have quite a few dings and scratches on the PCGS website.

In general, are high content silver coins graded differently than others because silver is such a soft metal?  Is the main difference between AU and UNC the luster?  I ask because I've seen NGC graded UNC silver coins with more blemishes than AU coins.  The AU are quite a bit less shiny though.

Thanks again for your comments.

Ryan
Hi Ryan, in my personal opinion of pcgs and other US grading companies they have too many grades between vf+ and unc (60+) especially in today's modern manufacturing process and the output of the presses which is much more advanced and way faster than 100 years ago. I just got a sealed bagged of 2014 £1 coins today which are literally spewed into a bin causing all sorts of damage to the coin before it has even been handled or bagged by the the mint, but they are truly un-circulated. I also have many coins from the late seventies which are much better condition than modern coins. Another thing you must take into consideration is there are 3 types of production from most mints in modern coins.
1, Circulation coins produced for circulation (high speed process)
2, Brilliant Un-circulated coins produced for the middle collector (less expensive)
3. Proof coins produced only for collectors/investors (expensive)

Don't get me wrong this has been going on for years but the main difference being that the mints and grading companies are now taking advantage of all us numismatics, 20+ years ago, probably more if you asked for an un-circulated coin that is what you would have got and even today you will still get an un-circulated coin but it will look like it's been in circulation (bag marks) due to production.

So what I'm really saying is although the coins you have bought have been assigned as un-circulated this is simply taking advantage of modern times.

If I get some spare time over the weekend I will take pictures of the bag of £1 coins I received earlier today and this should give you a good idea of todays terminology of unc coins
I have to agree with Tony. Today there is bag unc. I think the gradeing system here in the US is a joke. A way to get more money out of people. Here is a 2008 unc-60

Look at the damage from other coins hitting them.

You can even find errors the flat T, cloged die. And some double die

Here is a XF coin from 1955. And the field is way cleaner,no marks

The sad thing is this one was circulated. And looks better then the new unc-60
But grading is only what your eyes see.
           yours daryl
It is, what it is, or is it.
Thanks Tony, I really appreciate you taking the time. I managed to figure out how to embed images directly from pcgs website, with links to higher res photos.

Circulated Extra Fine, wear in the hair, and lines on the bell; lack luster.

XF

BU, MS60-62  These coins are dinged up, ill-toned, bag-marked and even ugly, but they are UNC Mint State. Most importantly they do not have any wear.

MS60

MS61

MS62

"Choice BU" MS63-64 UNC Mint State, but with fewer contact marks and hairlines

MS63

"Gem BU" MS65+ UNC Mint State, not much of anything to complain about

MS65

Given the luster on my coins and the absence of any wear, I think I could make the case that my coins are of the UNC varity, but of the MS60-62 range.  The ugly mass produced stuff meant to take advantage of us all.  :D

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:42.