Price and value of coins

7 posts
Hello,

I was wondering how people here check the value of the coins they have. I check the NGC website and also look at eBay,  but I've heard that NGC under-prices them and eBay users over-price them. Is there any site I can check how much a coin is selling on average, and what it's actually worth?
Depends on the country and period. Some are very undervalued by Krause (NGC) but other series can be found cheaper on eBay than the NGC guide would lead you to believe.

There is also the precious metal content to take into account.  For some reason junk silver lots attract homo numisnoobus in large numbers. These folks (also known as bidiots) will bid up to the price levels you would expect in the good old days of $40 per ounce. Often they pay more for junk than I would pay for a similar coin with real numismatic value. In short, eBay is like the wild west.

There are sites such as Numismedia (US coins only) which are aggregators for auction house prices. These should be more reflective of market values but I find some strange inaccuracies in some of the listings.

Lastly, there is location. I have the misfortune to be a UK collector living in the USA and the prices are far in excess of what my English friends can pick them up for on the .co.uk version of eBay. I could make an account and outbid them but it's not uncommon to see jokers wanting $20 to ship a single coin.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
expensive!
Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance.
www.wowgold2u.com
Normal Finnish coins are overvalued in NGC but all the rare varieties and gold coins are completely undervalued. Like when I had the 10 markka gold coin before I swapped it people were offering ridiculously low offers, and didn't even bother to look if they could even find one for sale online, because most Finnish collectors don't swap or sell outside Finland.
Quote: kolikko99... because most Finnish collectors don't swap or sell outside Finland.
Why's that? Don't the Finns thrust the internet?  (8
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
Most Finnish collectors are so old that they don't know how to use the internet. Coin and stamp collecting is a dying hobby here.
Quote: Lotus07Why's that? Don't the Finns thrust the internet?  (8
I know it's only a typo, but "thrusting" the internet sounds ever so rude!
http://www.facebook.com/NumismaticsUK
I'm not an expert in any kind of coins, but I reckon I'm good at research and will do my best to help. Feel free to tell me my identifications/valuations/gradings are wrong. It's the only way I'll learn.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:21.