8 posts
Hello I have one ask:
How to clean Zinc coin
I tray several metods but
want to k'now opinion of members
Best regards to everyone
General rule:
The best cleaning is not to clean.
If you do, try with a low valuable coin. Soak the coin in WD40 and use only your fingers do gently rub them.   Then clean with warm water and a neutral shampoo, dry with hot hair and seal with wax.
Referee to Old Portuguese colonies
Do NOT expose zinc coins to great heat ... all that it does is speeding up the oxidation process again.
Quote: IdolenzDo NOT expose zinc coins to great heat ... all that it does is speeding up the oxidation process again.
^^^^This, Zinc has a low melting point so if it gets too hot it will droop.

Bicarbonate of soda is what I would use, even though it will put microscopic abrasions on the coin.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
I didn't mean temperatures that high  :D  even hair dryers are hot enough to transform your zinc coins to a nice white encrusted disc after a while ... also they will fly to the next state if you don't pay attention  (8 .

P.S. Cleaning of zinc coins is quite difficult and sadly the best tip would be to not get oxidized coins in the first place  8.
Quote: IdolenzI didn't mean temperatures that high  :D  even hair dryers are hot enough to transform your zinc coins to a nice white encrusted disc after a while ... also they will fly to the next state if you don't pay attention  (8 .

P.S. Cleaning of zinc coins is quite difficult and sadly the best tip would be to not get oxidized coins in the first place  8.
:O  :O
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
moisture and heat is what will oxidise zinc coins,  I'm not sure about cleaning zinc, but to preserve mine I rubbed with some rubbing alcohol and let it evaporate, that will remove all moisture, then coat it with a thin layer of wax.  That will stop any air and moisture from turning it white.  putting in an air-tight flip or capsule will work too.
Thanks to everyone for
advises

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:24.