Coin cleaning

8 posts
whats your opinoin on the act of cleaning coins? do you think its ok, should mever be done, or are there exceptions?
The super short answer is no. For more elaborate answers please search the forum. ;)
the only exeption is brushing off dirt from buried coins but otherwise it's a strict no.
same, never clean them unless you have nothing to lose by doing so.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
It depends what you mean by cleaning. Anything abrasive or acidic that will affect the surface of the coin is a no-no. But personally I clean my coins (the circulated ones anyway). My standard MO is to rub the coins gently in soapy water, rinse in clean water, the rub the surface gently with a soft makeup remover pad soaked in isopropyl alcohol (also called rubbing alcohol) This method doesn't affect the patina of the coin or damage the surface, but it removes all the grease that builds up on the coins from people's fingers and it makes the details stand out more.
ive cleaned only a few of my coins, because they were dirty to the point of the details being obstructed. I used jewelry cleaner
Is that a sonic cleaner? The general rule of thumb I live by is: anything that doesn't affect the coins surface or patina is fine.
they became shinier

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:46.