No, New Zealand! How could you?

60 posts

» Quick access to the last post

We've already been going down the slippery slope of non circulating commemoratives, now they've started putting out coins shaped like All Blacks jerseys??? <sniff> I'm ashamed of my country now :(

https://coins.nzpost.co.nz/2015/all-blacks-silver-proof-coin
That's when you know the game is up.. Ha
They've even included the bloody advertising logos. I'm sure AIG and ADIDAS will be loving the free advertising. But in my mind advertising has no place on an "official" coin. Whether it's meant to circulate or not.
Quote: "neilithic"​We've already been going down the slippery slope of non circulating commemoratives, now they've started putting out coins shaped like All Blacks jerseys??? <sniff> I'm ashamed of my country now :(

https://coins.nzpost.co.nz/2015/all-blacks-silver-proof-coin
:D:D looks like the Somalia guitar coins...

The curved cricket coin was cool though....
It looks terrible.
I know you guys are passionate about the All Blacks but that is just plain ridiculous!
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
 ?
Main Referee for Hutt-River
that is fugly. It's the type of thing you might see on April 1st. :x
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
I guess they're relying of patriotic fervor. People who usually don't watch rugby suddenly become loyal All Black fans come world cup time and buy up every bit of merchandise available. It's the same as the America's cup. Most of the time, the vast majority of the country couldn't care less about yachting, but when the America's cup rolls around, all of a sudden everyone is a fan.
it is not a circulating coin-only a tourist token, so it does not really matter-
They also issued a matching stamp!!

I'm not impressed, New Zealand. If you are going to issue garbage, at least do it in the name of one of your territories!! :D
however still not as bad as some the USA has issued for there handful of colonies--Palau .Nthern Marianneas (real mickey mouse rubbish) etc---it does not really matter they are only tourist tokens and not circulating coins-------------unlike the USA ,NZ has only one Circulating commerative decimal ever,and possibly the nicest coin out there for 2015 (anzac 2015)-- I think the USA and Canada must be having a contest to see who can produce the most each year:love:
They are listed as legal tender for 1 dollar. But the fact we produced them at all is bad enough, whether they're meant to circulate or not. It's shamelessly trying to make money out of people that would otherwise never invest in coins, simply because it's All Black stuff and it's world cup time. $135 for something that has a face value of $1 and contains only $22 worth of silver is ridiculous.
My condolences.
HoH
Thats where you are wrong- these are not circulating coins,but tourist soveneir tokens--NEW ZEALAND has only produced 1 (one) uno circulating coin in the last 50 years---------------------This one coin was sold at face value(50cents) in 2015 and has become very popular
However the modern USA $1.00 commeratives for example have a purchase price of well over face value-(can someone give me that figure- i believe $1.38 and there is 100,s of them

So nothing wrong with NZ issuing policy- if you do not like these tokens,do not buy them

BREAKING NEWS___JUST CHECKED - THE USA HAS ISSUED ------------ 238 ---------------CIRCULATING COMMERATIVES SINCE 1976---
Quote: "muzz0000"​Thats where you are wrong- these are not circulating coins,but tourist soveneir tokens--NEW ZEALAND has only produced 1 (one) uno circulating coin in the last 50 years---------------------This one coin was sold at face value(50cents) in 2015 and has become very popular
​ However the modern USA $1.00 commeratives for example have a purchase price of well over face value-(can someone give me that figure- i believe $1.38 and there is 100,s of them

​So nothing wrong with NZ issuing policy- if you do not like these tokens,do not buy them

​BREAKING NEWS___JUST CHECKED - THE USA HAS ISSUED ------------ 238 ---------------CIRCULATING COMMERATIVES SINCE 1976---
Modern US (0.900) silver commemorative $1s are $50+ if you buy them direct from the mint. About the same for a graded MS-69 and significantly more for MS-70. Raw coins can usually be found for a bit less on the aftermarket a few years after release.
HoH
You didn't read my comment. I never said they were circulating, I said they were legal tender, which they are. Someone could take it down to the local dairy and buy a $1 mixture with one of these if they so desired. Of course they would be a moron to do so.

My qualm is with the production of these coins in the first place. I don't want to see us go down the road of Niue, Cook Islands, etc. and pump out these godawful coins for any old occasion. My hatred for non circulating commemoratives is well documented on these forums, just look at the potshots I was taking at Canada for their copious amounts of commemoratives.
Dont't know much about NZ coins. Is it true that circulating coins are only minted once every few years?
Yes, they make year sets every year, but the circulation coins are only done once every few years. The new materials they used when we changed to the smaller coins in 2006 are a lot more hard-wearing than the cu-ni that the coins used to be made of and with a population of only 4 million where physical currency is being used less and less there's really no point in doing a production every year. In fact one of the banks has just introduced a virtual piggy bank app because they said children of this generation weren't as good at saving money because they hardly ever see physical currency. It's quite a cool idea

https://cleverkash.asb.co.nz/?gclid=COn29r3H_McCFdgnvQodv6EKag
Looks like they are taking lessons from the Perth Mint in WA. They produce some weird NCLT coins in all kinds of shapes.

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia, Papua New Guinea & Cocos & Keeling Islands Coins & Australian Banknotes. I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, NZ Sets, USA & Euros plus Misc Exonumia.
Quote: "neilithic"​Yes, they make year sets every year, but the circulation coins are only done once every few years. The new materials they used when we changed to the smaller coins in 2006 are a lot more hard-wearing than the cu-ni that the coins used to be made of and with a population of only 4 million where physical currency is being used less and less there's really no point in doing a production every year. In fact one of the banks has just introduced a virtual piggy bank app because they said children of this generation weren't as good at saving money because they hardly ever see physical currency. It's quite a cool idea

https://cleverkash.asb.co.nz/?gclid=COn29r3H_McCFdgnvQodv6EKag
​Thanks Neil!
Quote: "neilithic"​You didn't read my comment. I never said they were circulating, I said they were legal tender, which they are. Someone could take it down to the local dairy and buy a $1 mixture with one of these if they so desired. Of course they would be a moron to do so.

​My qualm is with the production of these coins in the first place. I don't want to see us go down the road of Niue, Cook Islands, etc. and pump out these godawful coins for any old occasion. My hatred for non circulating commemoratives is well documented on these forums, just look at the potshots I was taking at Canada for their copious amounts of commemoratives.

That's not true and you know it - not only would any one be crazy enough to buy $1.00 lollies with a $135 COLLECTORS TOKEN, but no Indian dairy keeper would take it-You are losing the plot Neil--You even growled when we produced NZ's first circulating commemorative in 50 years-concentrate your efforts where they are needed - like 238 circulating coins from the USA in same period and having to pay more than face value for $1.00 coins.

Murray
Are you really suggesting that if an Indian dairy owner was offered an ounce of pure silver in exchange for $1 of lollies they would turn it down? You must be the crazy one.

My beef with the circulating commemorative 50c was not the fact that it was a circulating commemorative, but that it was a gimmicky colourised coin. It may be personal preference but I can't stand weird shaped, colourised or useless commemorative coins.

New Zealand is by no means the worst (Cook Islands have pumped out around 2,000 different coins in the last 25 years) But we're certainly starting along the slippery slope by producing these monstrosities. I just hope that hardly anyone buys them and they get the message that they're not the way to go.
Quote: "neilithic"​Are you really suggesting that if an Indian dairy owner was offered an ounce of pure silver in exchange for $1 of lollies they would turn it down? You must be the crazy one.

​My beef with the circulating commemorative 50c was not the fact that it was a circulating commemorative, but that it was a gimmicky colourised coin. It may be personal preference but I can't stand weird shaped, colourised or useless commemorative coins.

​New Zealand is by no means the worst (Cook Islands have pumped out around 2,000 different coins in the last 25 years) But we're certainly starting along the slippery slope by producing these monstrosities. I just hope that hardly anyone buys them and they get the message that they're not the way to go.

Neil- you are being a drama queen- it is not a circulating coin,but a gimicky tourist token--i work on the tills at the warehouse- if i accepted this rubbish in exchange for $1.00 worth of goods, I would lose my job---Get over it-it is not a circulating coin, and if you do not like it simply do not buy it

The Anzac 50c coin has won praise from all over the world-the fact that it sold out so fast is a testament to that------------The fact that you do not like it is not important--NZ HAS ONLY EVER PRODUCED ONE CIRCULATING COMMERATIVE in the last 50 years and it is beautiful--- get over it

ps do not see you commenting on the 238 circulating coins that have been produced by USA in this same period--this is just about 3rd world status -I can understand Cooks-Palau etc producing tourist tokens as the rely on them for revenue--but the USA- Canada- Aust and all the Euro nations, (several 2 euro coins per year each)there is no reason for onslaught of rubbish . Be thankful you are living in paradise with no doubt the most reasonable regime for producing circulating coins in the world, and rejoice the fact that we have the best rugby team in the world, and will celebrate the fact with a UGLY TOKEN that you have no obligation to buy.
Quote: "muzz0000"​Neil- you are being a drama queen- it is not a circulating coin,but a gimicky tourist token--i work on the tills at the warehouse- if i accepted this rubbish in exchange for $1.00 worth of goods, I would lose my job

​You would lose your job accepting a legal tender coin? And I thought that U.S. laws were silly.

Anyway, the the most gimmicky a coin has gotten so far in the U.S. is the domed baseball coins, so that is something New Zealand can't say. Gotta agree with Neil on this one.
will you can be wrong as well--not a coin -just a gimicky token like the US produces often-- the baseball series comes to mind------------and I bet you they sold millions of them - and yes i would lose my job
Quote: "muzz0000"​will you can be wrong as well--not a coin -just a gimicky token like the US produces often-- the baseball series comes to mind------------and I bet you they sold millions of them - and yes i would lose my job
​Gold and silver ones did sell out very fast. They had a capped mintage, though. 50,000 gold $5s within 1 hour they became available for ordering online and 400,000 silver $1 within a day. Clad halves sold a lot slower and were available for quite some time but still over 400,000 sold out of 750,000 authorized.
HoH
From the NZ post website https://www.nzpost.co.nz/about-us/media-centre/media-release/all-blacks-celebrated-with-new-stamps-coins

"The official legal tender coin takes the shape of an adidas All Blacks jersey - a world first."

Legal tender coin....i.e. a COIN you can spend for $1 worth of goods anywhere in New Zealand. If your boss fired you for accepting one of these then I would take up a claim for wrongful dismissal. Are you going to be man enough to admit you're wrong now are you still going to insist it's a token?
What apology ----you can say what you like it is not a COIN. as i said before if you do not like it do not buy this TOKEN-- in the mean time I will keep an eye out for it in my change , or maybe go up to local Indian dairy and buy his one (might even give him $1.10 for it because you said so) yeah right- that is never going to happen
and once again you are wrong - just like you were with the ANZAC coin(Remember NZ first circulating commerative)--
For God sake. I never said it WOULD circulate. I said it COULD circulate because it is a legal tender coin, as listed in its specifications. Much like the Mount cook dollar coin, the commonwealth games dollars, the captain cook dollar etc. It seems you're just being deliberately obtuse.

And how exactly was I wrong about the 50c commemorative? I said I didn't like it because it was a colourised coin. Or am I wrong about my own opinion? I'm sorry, obviously you know my mind better than I do because you work the tills at the Warehouse so you must be an absolute genius.
i give up ---- you win--these tokens will circulate and pigs will fly yeah right- you take a mount cook coin to your local dairy and see if you can buy anything,or better still take it to the bank, and exchange for real coin
Oh God, Carlin was right "never argue with a fool, they will only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" I never said they would circulate, but you obviously want to sit with your head in the sand and pretend that I did so I'll leave it alone
Interesting thread guys, ... I'll say this ... I think you both need to chill out. I also think it is a crap coin/token whatever. Any coin that is not circular or some kind of regular shape is crap. It might be legal tender but it is still crap.

Also New Zealand does not have the best Rugby Team either. The Queensland State of Origin team would wipe the floor with them .. haha (Just joking muzz)

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia, Papua New Guinea & Cocos & Keeling Islands Coins & Australian Banknotes. I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, NZ Sets, USA & Euros plus Misc Exonumia.
Hi Mike--its ok- i am over it haha---And i agree that this is a yuk token and definately non - circular--However his Banner heading running down NZ policy wound me up--NZ has possibly the most conservative policy in the world------------------all that other stuff/crap they produce for collectors/tourist is of no importance

As for the rugby issue--Queensland did no good in the super 15 (just joking back) they cannot even give NSW a hiding these days------how about a 15 coin bet on the winner -of our own choice off each others list(no silvers) only Aust /NZ

Anyway hopefully Niel can get over it- at least we all agree that it is a awful token - and not worthy of the headline banner it was given---Actually they have recently announced a worse one- with a bi-metal coin in which the center rotates--thankfully not circulating

the fact is NZ has only produced one circulating commerative coin in the last 50 years- and if they keep that figure low- maybe 1-2 a year i will be happy--I actually sent 1 free to all my trading partners in the last few months-and everyone was impressed with it

Murray
Quote: "muzz0000"​Hi Mike--its ok- i am over it haha---And i agree that this is a yuk token and definately non - circular--However his Banner heading running down NZ policy wound me up--NZ has possibly the most conservative policy in the world------------------all that other stuff/crap they produce for collectors/tourist is of no importance

​I have to laugh on this thread. I would say you were missing something in translation, but New Zealand speaks English so I am not sure what you are going on about.
OMG - Thats the reason why I don't collect modern coins. Commercial scrap or ugly or both. ;(
Tallarian
Quote: "Tallarian"​OMG - Thats the reason why I don't collect modern coins. Commercial scrap or ugly or both. ;(
​Hi you better change your profile collecting interests-,that include 2 euros--appears to be about 35-40 (can some check 2014 figures)produced a yearly purely for collectors interest-(for any reason what so ever) modern commercial scrap and often ugly

ACTUALLY just checked-----50 x 2 euro coins for 2014 alone- commercial scrap
Quote: "muzz0000"

​ACTUALLY just checked-----50 x 2 euro coins for 2014 alone- commercial scrap
​Hi there Muzz,

Let's not go overboard on this one. Most of these 2 euro's are just normal circulating commemoratives with production in the millions. I tend to pick them out of my wallet and swap them, never bought a single one (and now have some 130). There are very pretty ones too.
Neil, do you remember a discussion we had some years ago about advertising on coins being inevitable at some future point?

I think we have just arrived.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
But 50 of 1 denomination for 1 year (2014) and some are pretty ugly-- if you can pick up out of change or UNC from bank, why are they so precious on NUMISTA $6----$8 each--and more on ebay and D
so for the collector $300-$400 a year just for the 2 EURO

I was actually replying to Tallarian who says he does not collect modern commercial junk, but states he collects the hoards of 2 Euros on his profile

by the way------------------ 2 EUR = 3.44 NZD face value

Muzz0000
But it's all a rather pointless discussion. Nothing wrong with that, it's interesting, but nobody is going to have a Damascene conversion and change their collecting habits.

I'm what I describe as an Omnicollector. coins, stamps, guns, banknotes, scripophily, money boxes..... the list keeps growing. Across all of these varied interests there is a single unifying theme - I only collect "real" items, not made-to-rip-off-collectors junk. So whether it's a gold plated replica Colt 44 signed by Wild Bill Hickok or a fantasy coin or junk commemorative...... I'll pass. I don't collect stamps beyond 1952 to avoid all the junk, each of my guns while very beautiful miracles of precision engineering and in pristine condition with awesome blued steel barrels, can still put a very large hole in you. They are fired at regular intervals. They work. No money boxes after the closure of the Chicago manufacturers, ink signed documents only.... you get the idea.

I despise modern commemoratives, I put them right up there on my list of things to hate with the Sheldon Scale and TPG's. I believe they are detrimental to our hobby and a business model rooted firmly in dishonesty. However I have come to realize that I can't stop it, people will still line up to buy the Liberian gold plated commemorative of the 7th Anniversary of the MacRib.

Some make the argument that by attracting new collectors this junk brings in new blood. This is true but in my experience these new collectors are still collecting the same basic trash 10 years later. It's like arguing that the people paying to see Miley Cyrus or following the Kardashians will move on to listening to Mozart or subscribing to National Geographic. It just isn't happening.

So while I loathe these cheap gimcracks, that loathing doesn't extend to my misguided fellow collectors. It's just modern culture, I've opted out.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
We were in same pool with All Blacks. They are Gods of rugby.
And I should agree to see a legal tender Georgian coin of "Lelos" , even in DNA molecule shape , but at least once have a world cup in Georgia ...
 :)

Wish them success. For us it was a great lesson, playing with them
Quote: "pnightingale"​Neil, do you remember a discussion we had some years ago about advertising on coins being inevitable at some future point?

​I think we have just arrived.
​Yes, and unfortunately it's New Zealand that have led the way x.

Oh, and for the record, I picked up some banged up commemorative dollars for less than face value (Mount Cook dollar and Commonwealth games dollar) I took your advice Muzz, and the guy at the local dairy did indeed sell me a dollar mixture for one and the bank exchanged the other for a dollar coin. If they say legal tender....they are spendable.
Hi Neil-----Firstly these coins do not ever appear banged up condition as they do not circ--and i think you are telling porkies- i tried the same thing- Indian dairy owner laughed at me and ASB bank said only the reserve bank might take them ,but they doubted it - and just for your info i have several european traders admire the Anzac coin--so i guess you need to be a real kiwi to appreciate our first circ commerative in 50 years
Not at all, you often find coins that have been taken out of the cases in bulk lots and they get knocks and scratches from being in the bags, much like the big Churchill crowns, royal visit medals, Tonga coronation dollars, etc. I don't know where you live, but they certainly accept them here at the local dairy and kiwibank.
On a positive note though your bruisers and Tongans didn't half make a mess of my clubs pitch yesterday !
Quote: "Mark240590"​On a positive note though your bruisers and Tongans didn't half make a mess of my clubs pitch yesterday !
​That's because the girlie footballers like to have a soft carpeted landing when they trip over their bootlaces so when the pitch is subjected to a tough, manly game like rugby that green rug doesn't stand a chance! :P
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
You're just lucky we live in the era of plastic kicking tees. Back in the day the kickers used to just dig up a mound of earth with the back of their boot.
Quote: "radrick007"
Quote: "Mark240590"​On a positive note though your bruisers and Tongans didn't half make a mess of my clubs pitch yesterday !
​​
​​That's because the girlie footballers like to have a soft carpeted landing when they trip over their bootlaces so when the pitch is subjected to a tough, manly game like rugby that green rug doesn't stand a chance! :P
​if rugby ended up as popular as football they'd be exactly the same. That's why I say the footballers from 30-40 years ago were much better than today's. They played a much more physical game on potatoe fields.
Suddenly this coin is looking very attractive :D
YES NEW ZEALAND_ YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU LIKE  !!!!

any ugly token will be fine,and any real kiwi would be proud of them
The token and the team

go the mighty all blacks
Quote: "brismike"​Interesting thread guys, ... I'll say this ... I think you both need to chill out. I also think it is a crap coin/token whatever. Any coin that is not circular or some kind of regular shape is crap. It might be legal tender but it is still crap.

​Also New Zealand does not have the best Rugby Team either. The Queensland State of Origin team would wipe the floor with them .. haha (Just joking muzz)

​Cheers Mike

​HELLO MIKE_ ANYONE HOME____NANA
Quote: "@josephjk"​Suddenly this coin is looking very attractive :D
​YOU CAN BUY NEILS ONE FOR $1 hehe
Quote: "muzz0000"​YES NEW ZEALAND_ YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU LIKE  !!!!

​any ugly token will be fine,and any real kiwi would be proud of them
​The token and the team

​go the mighty all blacks
​<sigh> too stupid for words
Quote: "neilithic"
Quote: "muzz0000"​YES NEW ZEALAND_ YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU LIKE  !!!!
​​
​​
​​any ugly token will be fine,and any real kiwi would be proud of them
​​The token and the team
​​
​​
​​go the mighty all blacks
​​<sigh> too stupid for words
​Well maybe you should not say anything then
My friend was at the semi's and then the final as part of his honeymoon. He's always been into rugby more than football and his wife is from NZ. So say no more. The son is dual nationality ha
Quote: "Mark240590"​My friend was at the semi's and then the final as part of his honeymoon. He's always been into rugby more than football and his wife is from NZ. So say no more. The son is dual nationality ha
​Your friend was very lucky- I wish i could have been there-- what a honeymoon
Murray
I don't care for colorized coins either. But I must say that all of the different circulating quarters and dollars issued here sure make looking thru change fun. Very historic topics are featured as well. Also...they come with mint marks...great fun.
Library Media Specialist, columnist, collector, and gardener...
It is New Zealand Post who are responsible for this.

Ever since the Reserve Bank allowed New Zealand Post to get involved,things have got worse.

We have only ever had ONE circulating commemorative decimal coin - the 2015 A.N.Z.A.C. commemorative 50 Cents.

Aidan.
The ANZAC coin is fine, but not to my taste because I don't like the gimmicky colourised coins, but it's all the made-for-collectors tacky crap that I hate with a passion.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:56.