How would you grade this?

8 posts
Hey - I have a French Somaliland KM# 8 . I would say it is XF, but there is an ugly scratch on back. I want to drop it to F, what would you grade it as?

Or should I put VF with issues, scratch on back. How do you guys deal with this? Thank you
yours daryl
It is, what it is, or is it.
XF/AU Details
Easy - it is just XF (AUNC?) with an ugly scrath.

Or (if that is for your own information) just name it "XF to replace (rev. scratch)"
Catalogue administrator
Thank you guys I want to see how everyone handles these.
I would grade this coin as XF.
Quote: "oggy"​XF/AU Details
​Agreed, the correct way to grade a coin like this is to state the grade without the defect, and then list it with the term "details" following the grade. ANACS used to do "net" grading, but I haven't seen anyone do that for many years now.
Also agreed.

Net grading is an abomination in the eyes of the coin gods. If used as originally intended, i.e. a grade assigned to a coin with one side better preserved than the other it wouldn't be a problem. There are after all two sides to a coin. When it is misused to take into account holed, badly scratched or otherwise mutilated coins then it's an issue. An EF coin with a hole in it doesn't become a perfect F coin!

I believe the net grading confusion has it's roots in early attempts to work out a value for impaired coins, something along the lines of dropping it down two grades for the pupose of valuation only. This has since come to mean that a problem coin can actually become a lower grade rather than just a lower value.

Just grade the coin as normal and note the issues seperately. I have a real phobia about holed coins, to me they are pretty much scrap metal. I would not be very happy if expecting a nice solid F coin and what I got was a VF with a hole in it.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Thank you guys, so sorry it took so long to get back to you.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:37.