BP token

17 posts

» Quick access to the last post

What is the value of BP token Henry IV 1/2 franc 1607 ?
got a photo???
james
I agree with James, you will need to post photos of both sides of the piece along with all relevant data, i.e. weight, diameter, metal.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
I didn't realise British Petroleum dated back that far!
Yes BP stands for British Petroleum, but from the lettering looks like they were issued in France. Not sure when these were issued, or how - maybe one per visit to the filling station, or one for so many litres. On this site there are four series, and 26 tokens entered (so far) ...

Series: ROIS [LE TRESOR DES ROIS DE FRANCE]
  • # 01   [STATERE DES PARISII]
  • # 02   [STATERE DE VERCINGETORIX]
  • # 03   [SESTERCE D'AUGUSTE]
  • # 12   [Charles V Franc a pied 1365]
  • # 15   [Francois I Teston 1529]

Series: PIRATES [LE TRESOR DES PIRATES]
  • # 01   [France 1617]
  • # 05   [Espagne 1495]
  • # 11   [Jean Le Bon]

Series: ANTIQUES [LE TRESOR DES MONNAIES ANTIQUES]

Series: ANCIENNES [LE TRESOR DES MONNAIES ANCIENNES]

Looks like the Rois series goes up to 20 tokens - not sure, or about other series either.
As for value - not much I guess as they were given away at petrol stations! Incidentally, the one mentioned at the start of this Topic is No.17 in the Rois series, as I call it ...
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces22565.html
Quote: bam777I didn't realise British Petroleum dated back that far!
That's what I thought at first!

Ahem, carry on.
There is a fifth series, which nobody on here has entered any from yet I think ...

Series: ANTIEKE [ANTIEKE GRIEKS ROMEINSE MUNTEN]
  • # 01 [I]   [Stater van Croesus]
  • # 02 [II]   [Stater uit Neapolis]
  • # 03 [III]   [Tetradrachme uit Athene]
  • # 04 [IV]   [Demareteion uit Syracuse]
  • # 05 [V]   [Dekadrachme uit Syracuse]
  • # 06 [VI]   [Stater van Philippus II]
  • # 07 [VII]   [Tetradrachme van Ptolemaeus Söter]
  • # 08 [VIII]   [Dekadrachme uit Karthago]
  • # 09 [IX]   [Tetradrachme van de Barciden]
  • # 10 [X]   [Romeinse As]

EDIT: Since then I have found an image of a complete set of 10 with names under each token ...

Update for this Topic - here are three pictures of adverts/folder for the 'Pirates' series ...

Which also proves the BP stands for British Petroleum, as I was not sure in case it was a coincidence that another company had same initials! But that shows their green and yellow shield logo.
  Here are two images for the 'Rois' series as well ...

hi guys!
I found this coin in an old table. I have no idea what it is, or how this is valued.
In the picture you can see the coin. The back of the coin says:
  Le tresor des pirates - collection BP 5 petites Antilles franc 12 sols 1731
Can someone help me out?  I'm very curious to find out!

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces23269.html

Welcome to the site.  :)
You entered this in the right section, as it is a BP token, and is shown among the long list I made earlier.
Still not worth much I guess, as they were given away free - well, once a purchase had been made at BP filling station. But could be worth something to anyone still collecting them, and it was one they do not have, I guess. And it was bad stamping, as BP 5 is actually BP 3 on there, as luckily the date below it is 1731, like it is more clearly (in your picture) on the other side.
- - - - -
  I found this one that sold for $14 and admittedly not the same one as yours, but is a BP token.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4ab8645ebb&item=320921165499&nma=true&pt=US_World_Coins&rt=nc&si=Eu%252Bg3mEby8TVqkNMiZSWihaVZms%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It is number 20 in the first list, and hope the buyer knew it was a petrol station token!
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces23204.html
- - - - -
  Similarly, number 18 sold for $19.50  eBay Item number: 370624189830
The same seller (as the other two) sold another for $7.50  eBay Item number: 370630674259
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces22566.html

I see only the token front side was in the listings. Anyway, hope all that helps!  8)
Quote: bluegeo52What is the value of BP token Henry IV 1/2 franc 1607 ?
I have one too with the reverse    HENRI III
                                                 FRANC
                                               D'ARGENT

I dont think it has much value.
Quote: ZacUKThere is a fifth series, which nobody on here has entered any from yet I think ...

EDIT: Since then I have found an image of a complete set of 10 with names under each token ...

What a surprise to see this set of tokens in a Numista post: I have exactly the same one.

Actually, it's not a fifth series, but the Dutch edition of [LE TRESOR DES MONNAIES ANTIQUES]. I assume that it is about 40 years old.

I checked the French eBay for some prices. There is little traffic in them. The prices for single tokens (completed listings) vary between €0.60 and €15.- (sic), while complete series changed owner for €1.- to €16.50. I estimate  that €1.- for a single token and €12.50 for a whole set would be a fair price.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in a swap (card with compete set only).
In France I used to see them quite often at antique fair and markets. Usually single coins were sold for around 0.50€ and a full sets for 10-40€, thats just the average prices that I had seen in France.
I have to say though for me these coins count as copys and for me there's nothing worse than fake or copy coins. Also I really don´t like them for that they are sometimes sold on Ebay in a misleading way where you'd think you got the real deal. At the beginning of my coin collecting I bought a coin at a market that was sold to me as a real valuable coin, found out the next day that it was a token given from the Readers Digest magazine in the 80s or so, then again you learn from mistakes - I'm more careful nowadays.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
I have the (incomplete) holder for these tokens, as well as the booklet that came with it, with some stories on the coins (never read it...)
If anybody is interested, make an offer !

World coins by date and mint place, 1850-2000
Hi  found  at my grandmoms home le tresor des pirates 5 Espagne 1493 collection BP
 I added more Numista links to my original lists. Also found this image of a complete collection in a Rois de France series, of which tony.c showed an image of a part collection.

Also an advert for the Monnaies Antiques series ...

Not seen anything for the Monnaies Anciennes series, or how many tokens are in it (surely more than three).
Watch out there are some people trying to sell them as real coins, they only show one side that looks pretty real.
Topic locked (Numista Robot, 23-Jan-2019, 23:01)
Topic moved to "Exonumia identifications and valuations" (ZacUK, 8-Sep-2022, 15:37)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:18.