Can UK "New Pence" coins still be spent/exchanged there?

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I know that the UK "new pence" coinage was long ago demonetized (1991?), but can the new pence still be spent and/or exchanged in Great Britain ..... or is it just trash?  Thanx!
-Just a taxpaying serf in Amerika
Hello Steve and welcome to the world of Numista. In answer to your question, it is both yes and no. There are some "New Pence" coins that have been demonetized and, as such, can't be used as legal tender any more. However, the 1p and 2p coins have been in continuous circulation with the same size, although now in a different metal, since 1971. In fact, it is still quite common to find 1971 issues in the change in your pocket, complete with the bust of a very young Queen Elizabeth II. To see exactly what has or has not been demonetized you can view the catalogue listings here on Numista.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
So, as far as the large 10 P go, the answer is they're worthless, right?
Pretty much a yes, but they have a collectable value!
Same goes for the large 5 and 50 pences.
They can be banked in the UK along with shilling/s and 25p crowns.
Quote: tony_k_1965They can be banked in the UK along with shilling/s and 25p crowns.
Mmmm...I did not know this...but then there is a lot I don't know.
Same with the large sized coin in NZ, you can't use them to buy anything anymore but you can still cash them in at the bank.
It's the same with old bank notes especially as it says I promise to pay the bearer on the demand the sum of (to with ever the amount). This stands for very old notes too, but that would be wrong.
I have some of the old 5, 10 & 50's lol'ing have that D-day anniversary one that I kept as a kid; I can't believe the size and weight of them - it's ridiculous !
james
Will them bliddy keep calm signs ever go away ? Ha
james
Thanks for all your good replies!!! All the best!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 21:28.