Your oldest coin?

176 posts

» Quick access to the last post

There here is mine. It's an Imperial Roman AE3 from the reign of Valentian II AD375 - 392.

Moved by ZacUK from Numismatic questions to Free discussion
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Just bought at a coin show today a denarius from 222 AD.  I'm not usually into ancients, but this one looked pretty cool.  It's a coin of Julia Maesa who was the grandmother of two Roman emperors, Elagabalus and Alexander Severus. (She was the sister of Julia Domna, who was an Empress and wife of Roman Emperor Lucius Septimius Severus and mother of Emperors Geta and Caracalla).
what about the tyrian shekel
I strictly don't collect ancients, so unfortunately, my oldest coin is a 1793 George III 1 Pfennig (German States- Brunswik-Luneburg-Calenburg-Hannover).
My oldest coin is a Denarius Carisius from -46.
 :)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces27369.html
I don't collect ancients, so my oldest coin is Queen Anne 1711 sixpence...I think.
I got this, but I forgot how old it is.
james
here's mine..............................alexander the great hemiobol.

Oh, I love this type of topics. :`  My oldest coin is a 1 öre KM from Ulrika Eleonora from 1720...minted on a Jupiter Daler from 1718.
I usually do not collect ancient coins, I have just this one.
Antoninion - Max. Herculius (286-310)

My 2nd oldest:
Denarius 1618 - Mathias II.

So it's either Roman empire or modern "ancients?"

How about medieval Chinese coins? This one from 1070's:
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
I do not collect ancient coins...but my oldest coin is a 1 Lepton, Ionian Islands 1834.
Check my coins for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/lidianb
https://www.facebook.com/lidianbcoins/  
I have 127BC~ and 104BC~, Maccabian Kings of ancient Judea (Israel) coins, and Ceasar Constantin the Cristian from 310AC~.
In modern period I have queen Anne 1694, and 2 more coins from Britain and China from the 1750's.
all the others are form 1800 and further...
N.E. Yogev
Hmm,

My oldest coin would be from Scotland - James I '20 Pence' 1637-42 (No Date) (minted in Edinburgh)

Oldest coin with an actual date on it would be my Commonwealth of England Shilling of 1653.
My oldest coin from my own country is an 1891 five-cent.

My oldest dated modern age coin is an 1808 coin from the British East India Company.  I also have a French sou from circa 1785.  The date is worn away, but i'm certain on its type.

I also have some ancient coins from the 3rd century.
I have a Roman coin from the 300's. Prior to getting that, my oldest coin was this one: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15808.html

The 1774 Silver Maltese Scudo - Francisco Ximenes de Texada
Maybe this:

http://www.arminius-numismatics.com/coppermine1414/cpg1414/albums/userpics/10001/8313n.jpg

Sardis in Lydia, 550-546 BC., Kroisos (561-546 v.C.), 1/12 Stater, BMC 53.
visit arminius-numismatics - my galery and database
Quote: SmartOneKgSo it's either Roman empire or modern "ancients?"

How about medieval Chinese coins? This one from 1070's:
Oh yeah, I have some cash coins that are earlier than my Queen Anne sixpence!
This is mine... 400-350 BC, a hemidrachm from Cherronesos, Thrace... now part of European Turkey, I think...
--
Jackie L.
St. Paul, MN USA
5/10 Real, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina <3

1827  ;)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces26204.html
This is my oldest coin. Netherlands East Indies 1 Duit from 1744
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7593.html
I have to say that I am both surprised and impressed by the quality of coins on display and more importantly the obvious pride collectors take in their cherished coins. We should do this more often!

I think the award for the ugliest coin goes to the "Barney Frank commemorative quarter" posted by James Wolfe.

The handsomest thus far... well that's more difficult. Personally I'm inclined toweards the Thracian Hemidrachm of Jjava narrowly beating Moneyer121's Hemilobol. however the latter features Alexander so it's a hard call.

Please do keep these coming, this has been most interesting and the coins are excellent.

I don't really collect ancients myself but I have a few... well just because! I know we have several members who are ardent admirers of ancients coins and trust me, I really do see the attraction, but that learning curve.... eeeek!
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Here is mine.

India ancient coins - Kushana period, 2nd Centenary AD
Col Suresh Bagga
baggasuresh@yahoo.com
India
I've got one of the leptons (widow's mite) coins.  I think they were minted around 70-50 BC
I've got some Roman unidentified (as yet) spare change, but the oldest coin I posess of whose age I'm sure  (well, sort of) is the 1/2-grosz of HRH Alexander Olbracht. The little (1.03 g and 18 mm diameter, 0.375 silver) coin was struck between 1501 and 1506.
It depends. The oldest dated coins I own is a ½ grosz 1548 from Lithuania. But the oldest coin in my collection is an Roman coin (Tiberius) from early 22 AD.
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
the oldest coin i have is a 1760 1/4 stuber from germany, dortmunds, could not find it in the catalog, also have many coins from roman empire, but have hrs and hrs of researching to do before i know what they are  B.
This is one of my denarii
Anverso: Roman Republic, ceca de Roma, Lucius Flaminius Cilo, 109-108 p.C., Denarius (18-19 mm / 3.89 g), Anv.: ROMA , cabeza de Roma a der., X (= 10 As). Rev.: L. FLAMINI / CILO , Victoria con biga a der. Crawf. 302/1 ; Syd. 540 ; Bab. Flaminia 1 . Notas Esta Familia tuvo un ilustre antecesor que murio luchando contra Anibal. El Circo Flaminius y la Via Flaminia mantuvieron su recuerdo vivo
My friends are good numismatic.  I like to make friends and share my hobby.
I collect for years, and mints. careful with these data in my swapping
35bc-10ad silver dachrm from bactria  :°  :°
"We all have Hitler in us, but we also have love and peace. So why not give peace a chance for once?"- John Lennon
Quote: rvineham@yahoo.camy oldest is a 1888 1 tanka from tibet  /!

rvineham@yahoo.ca to Numista and nice coin, thank you.
james
Mine is a Great Britain 1924 Halfpenny Georgivs V  
Quote: james wolfe I got this, but I forgot how old it is.
I think I found your coin. It's Greek and from 350-300 BC.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mysia-Parion-Silver-AR-Hemidrachm-Facing-Gorgon-Bull-VF-Authentic-/170844526640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c7209830
It's not quite my oldest but it is my favourite ancient coin. It's a Khosru II Drachm from the Sassanid Empire which is modern day Iran.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces33699.html
my oldest coin is a sesterce of 159 B.C. is of Antoninus Pius
Quote: vaticano445my oldest coin is a sesterce of 159 B.C. is of Antoninus Pius
We'd love to see it, so before my friend JW beats me to it ... WE WANT PICS !!!  :O
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
:D
james
i think this is mine but not sure what year exactly
My oldest is definately not as old as any of the others here unfortunately.  
1822 3 Centesimi from The Italian States.
now i have oldest ancient coin

Ancient Coin of: Theodosius I - Roman Emperor: 379-395 A.D

and for newest time
15 Krajczar - Leopold I KM# 191 1676
30 Kreuzer - Maria Theresia KM# 1835
1/2 Cedid Mahmudiye - Mahmud II KM# 644

this 3 coins is my favorite oldest:)
rock n roll stop the traffic
http://stores.ebay.com/uemkartcollectibles
My oldest one it's a little Ionian - Leukai from 300-350 BC (AE15).

Bought it 16 years ago at Rodos island, Greece
Cents are money too!
Quote: james wolfe i got this ,but i forgot how old it is
awesome coin
No ancients, but i have a UK William 3rd 1690's Chester mint mark half crown. The date is unreadable but there is enough left to identify it.
Earliest non-UK is a Netherlands East Indies 1790 2 Duits in great condition, that is if we don't count the '1780' Maria Theresa Thalers  0:)
My Ban-Liang from the Qin Dynasty, 200BC. Hard to beat innit?

Pity it ain't worth too much.
Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras
Just got a l'an 5 five centimes coin. Not my oldest and not valuable but anyway impressive.
I think we should make a top  :)
My oldest is the Carthage/Zeugitana (currently Tunisia) Tetradrachm circa 325-300 BC
I collect coins and tokens which circulated in Africa from 18th century to 2000. I sell about 7000 illustrated world coins from http://www.avscoins.com.
I only collect coins starting from 1900 and have only a few before this date.

My oldest is the italian "2 Centesimi - Vittorio Emanuele II - KM#2 - 1867"
This is my oldest coin.
This is a Bishopric of Paderborn 1/12 Thaler from 1717.
Here is my oldest coin.  I think it is Ancient Greek, but that is about it.  It is so old I can't find any info on it, although I keep searching!!
transition mom
Mine's Greek I think it's 359 to 336 BC, one side we have Apollo on the other there's a horse with a horseman.
John
Here are my Byzantine coins. I believe they are from the 500's A.D.

Quote: theemptytrunkHere are my Byzantine coins. I believe they are from the 500's A.D.

That 1st coin is interesting; a nice collection! I have a few myself and love the historic aspect.  It's amazing to think about where the coins have been and how they arrived safely in a collector's cache!
transition mom
Quote: garaisjanisThis is my oldest coin.
This is a Bishopric of Paderborn 1/12 Thaler from 1717.
Wonderful! Thanks for the share!!  Nice photos!
transition mom
I have a Ming Dao Knife Coin from the Zhou Dynasty (475-221 BC)

wow!!! that is great !!!  :8D
james
I had 15 ancient Roman coins but I had to sell them last year to help pay some medical bills. Now 1858 is the oldest.
Magnificent ? how do do keep the coins in perfect condition and were do you get them?
I have a few Ancient coins in my store, as for keeping them in good condition its not a difficult thing to do. I keep all my coins in individual paper envelopes which were especially made for coins to be stored in. Avoid using any old paper as it could contain chemicals which will degrade your coins. What sort of coins are you interested in?
I get my grandfather coins album a few years ago and ask friends which travel to bring me coins. I saw my album in my son's kindergarten and they like it
Lieyuva 1665   &   Russia 1731
I  am 67  years  old.
To compare the value of coins prefer with   ebay  prices .
I always do my shipments through registered mail with tracking number and I hope you will do the same for me.
Now these are old.

They're my first B.C. coins, from the Chou dynasty. The one on the top (Scimitar money) was made around 580 B.C. and the bottom (Knife money) was made from 680 B.C. to 280 B.C. I also have Chinese coins from 700 B.C. but they aren't as nice looking as these.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Quote: SmartOneKgNow these are old.

They're my first B.C. coins, from the Chou dynasty. The one on the top (Scimitar money) was made around 580 B.C. and the bottom (Knife money) was made from 680 B.C. to 280 B.C. I also have Chinese coins from 700 B.C. but they aren't as nice looking as these.
Yes. Those are cool! I have seen some of those on Ebay from time to time but I'm scared of buying fakes. How can a person tell if knife money are fakes or not?
Quote: theemptytrunkYes. Those are cool! I have seen some of those on Ebay from time to time but I'm scared of buying fakes. How can a person tell if knife money are fakes or not?
You ask me.

Aha just kidding. Well I'm usually the go-to-guy when it comes to telling if an Asian coin is fake or not. Usually the coin is milled rather than cast if it's fake. From there on you just got to take chances.
Kenny

Wow how much did you get them for? I've always wanted one but could never afford one I trust. :(
Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras
A friend gave them to me.

Along with them came mirror and fan coins but I'm not sure they're really "coins" since I can't really find them online.

Do you guys know the exact years of the coins?
Kenny

Chinese knife and scimitar cash are most likely to be fake - send to local museum or overseas one to appraise it; a good one is the Nanjing state museum (not sure translation is right)

** My oldest coin is a Greek tetradrachm (4 dramaes, silver) minted in Athens from 500-38 BC
Very nice coin   :8D  B)  (8
University is time consuming, cherish your free time!

Honi soit qui mal y pense.
My oldest coin is I think is a Russian 5 Kopeks - Nicholas I coin from 1839 (HA).

I don't collect ancient coins. I am just starting to collect coins from the 1800's era.

Here's my oldest. It's not that old, but the alignment's pretty off.
that alignment is pretty screwed up!

My oldest coin is from 1782 https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces5528.html?mobile=0
I have no ancient coins and would like to know what the cheapest Roman coins are?
Trying to get a coin from each UN country with circulating coins. 20 to go!
It depends what you're after, you can pick up old bronze Roman coins for as little as £5 but these are in a poor state of decay. If you are willing to spend around £30 you can get some quite nice coins in Bronze, Billon and even Silver. (Billon being an alloy of mostly copper and some silver)
I just received my oldest coin. It's from the Bactrian Kingdom and dated 160-150 BC!  :)
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
I just got a Malta 1 Grano from 1776!
Thanks Walder Coins. Where are the best places to purchase these online?
Trying to get a coin from each UN country with circulating coins. 20 to go!
My oldest is a 1693 William and Mary half pence Hibernian, but I do have a Japanese 1668 Hole coin.
My oldest that I actually collect is.. My Bermuda penny 1793 then probably my united colonies of essequebo and demerary.

Dptashny, sell me your Brunswick pfennig ! I really need some of those lol.
As I only collect German coins.  :8D  The oldest coin I have would probably be a little Silver Pfennig from Landshut Bavaria. Dates From 1475 - 1500 Geog I.
My oldest coin is 10 copeck of Russia (1906)  :`
10 kopek*

My dictionary shows that " copeck" is correct ( not kopek!) :)
lol rlly?

my book says *Kopek*

if the dictionary says Copeck, it should be right as well but i was taught to use kopek... idk

177X George III Great Britain Half Penny, Its so worn I really can't make out the last 2 numbers. But still one of my highly treasured coins.
So many coins... So little time...
I only just started collecting coins this year after being inspired by a recent world trip, so for now my oldest coin is a 1821 British farthing.  I actually have no idea how it even came to be in my possession
UPDATE:

I got this coin:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces36369.html
My oldest coin is a 1863 10 centesimi.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces726.html
Hello people...I'm new in forum and my english is bad .... sorry

My old coin is ....Theodosius I AE 2. Struck 392-395 AD. DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / GLORIA ROMANORVM, emperor standing facing holding labarum & globe, cross in left field, cross in right field, CONSB in ex.

I don't found the place to put my coin in my colection in this site.
My oldest dates from around 40-60 BC. It's a Celtic coin from France and its name is potin selisv au genie ailee (French). It comes from the tribe of the (Häduer/Aedui/Eduens) of the type Secisv/Selisv. Only a few of those have been found so far. Unfortunately it's not in the best state.

If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
My oldest is 1 kurush of Mahmud 2  of 1832 , but I got some Romans and Byzantine coins which I cannot identify ! I think 400-500 a.d.
Eendragt maakt magt
Sweden 1718 1 Daler (KM# 359)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces32875.html
My oldest one would have to be a Soloman 1 AR Denar from 1063-1074.  I don't know very much about it as I don't collect ancient coins.
One persons change is another persons hobby :)
1858 one cent coin
Quote: Dr. Math

Here's my oldest. It's not that old, but the alignment's pretty off.
Scratch that. I've got this:

Update:

My oldest:

1 knife
1858 one cent coin
My oldest coin is a Joseph II, 1788 half Kronenthaler, minted in Vienna. Not very old, but rather well preserved. Kronenthalers were used and minted throughout the Habsburg Austrian empire of the 18th century. The city where an Austrian coin was minted is identified through a mintmark. E.g. "A" means Vienna (and usually is rather common).

The 1780X Maria Theresia thaler is a restrike, originally for trade purpose. It always carries the mintmark SF and has been minted in several countries, with the same grade and weight.
Gwyde
Silver coin depicting Demetrius I of Bactria, wearing an elephant scalp, symbol of his conquests in India.This is coin of Demetrius I, founder of the Indo-Greek kingdom (c. 205–171 BC). The Greek inscription reads: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΥ – "(of) King Demetrius".

PLEASE add this coin to Database because is not there.
It's my oldest coin but it's very very very very damaged... :°
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces36825.html
http://fr.numista.com/echanges/membre.php?id=23098
My oldest coin is India Bengal Presidency coin, KM#27, 1817.  :`
Love Coin = Love History
Mine is now a 1694 William and Mary 1/2 d
Congratulations Phil, on 100 posts to this forum thread!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 23:55.