Coins from the Archbishopric of Riga
The Bishopric of Riga existed from 1186, was upgraded to the Archbishopric of Riga in 1255, and throughout its time, it was a member of the Livonian Confederation. Due to conflicts with both the Livonian Order and the City of Riga, Thomas Schöning (1528-1539) moved his seat out of Riga and to Koknese. The seat was only moved back to Riga in 1547. As a result of the Livonian War (1558-1583), the Archbishopric of Riga fell to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in 1561, officially ceasing to exist in 1563.