Arquata, modern-day Arquata Scrivia, in the Province of Alessandria, Piedmont, is located about 100 kilometres southeast of Turin and about 35 kilometres (22 mi) southeast of Alessandria, on the left bank of the Scrivia river. The name derives from the Latin arcuata (arched), due to the presence of an aqueduct supplying the nearby Roman town of Libarna, on the Via Postumia. Arquata is first mentioned as a castrum in the 11th century. In 1278, it became a fiefdom of captain William VII of Monferrato from Tortona. In 1310 it was bought by the Spinola family of Genova and in 1313, it was confirmed as an imperial fiefdom by emperor Henry VII. Philip Spinola became the first marquess of the town in 1641. In 1644, Arquata obtained also the right to mint coins of its own. Napoleon annexed Arquata to the Ligurian Republic and later it became part of the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont.
A coin doesn't exist in the catalog yet? Add it yourself!