Banknotes from Entre Rios
Banknotes › Entre Rios
The province is located east of the Central region of the country, bounded on the north by the Province of Corrientes, on the east by Uruguay, on the south and east by the Provinces of Buenos Aires and Santa Fe, respectively. It has an area of 78,781 km² and a population of 1,235,994 (last census 2010). Its capital is the city of Paraná, formed at the time of the Spanish colonization. Not originally a city, its settlement was gradual and started around a modest chapel at the beginning of the 18th century. Between 1853 and 1861 it was the capital of the Argentine Confederation. Between 1860/61 (last Rioja emissions, and of Buenos Aires) and 1881 there was no minting of metallic currency in the country. The shortage of cash was alleviated with foreign currency from the neighboring countries, especially Bolivia. But private emissions worthy of mention also appear. One of them was carried out in Colonia San José, an establishment founded by José de Urquiza in 1857, part of their land, with settlers from Switzerland and Italy. Urquiza conceived the idea of carving pieces of silver from the value of real means. For this he asked for the assistance of the Italian engraver Pablo Cataldi, who coined small coins with the coat of arms of Entre Rios on the obverse, and on the reverse side, in six lines: MONEDA CIRCULANTE DE SAN JOSE, UN MEDIO, 1867; the pieces had ribbed edges and a weight of 1.7 grams.
A banknote doesn't exist in the catalog yet? Add it yourself!