|Dates of operation||1467-1473|
|See also||Wikidata (Q733486)|
The first mint of Madrid was established on 2 December 1467, by Henry IV, King of Castile and León, through a royal decree that established 150 mints throughout his realm, including one located in Madrid, with Fernando de Pareja as its Chief Treasurer. The mintmark used was a crowned gothic "M" and the workshop was likely located within the small walled area of the town. Shortly after, in 1473, most of the mints, including the one in Madrid, were closed when the king revoked the decree.
A new mint was established in Madrid more than a century later, in 1591, by king Philip II of Spain. The history of the current Royal Mint of Spain can be traced back to this second mint of Madrid from 1591.
⤷The Royal Mint of Madrid
Mario Sánchez Cachero; 2016. Las Casas de la Moneda de Madrid in La Gatera de la Villa, No. 22, pp. 15-19. ISSN: 1989-9181