|Name in the local language||Puerta de Alcalá|
|Dates of operation||1661-1664|
|See also||Wikidata (Q733486)|
In 1661, during the reign of Philip IV of Spain, a new minting facility was established in Madrid, near Puerta de Alcalá, where twelve water mills were in operation. This new facility was created with the purpose of combating the high number of counterfeit coins in circulation at the time. The mint in Puerta de Alcalá functioned in parallel with the existing mint in Calle de la Puente Segoviana, each having its own distinct mint mark.
⤷The Royal Mint of Madrid
The mint in Puerta de Alcalá minted copper and, from May 1662, silver alloy pieces, but only for a short while, before it was closed on 15 October 1664. After its demolition, the Real Pósito de la Villa was built on its location, and later the Linares Palace in the 19th century.
Mario Sánchez Cachero; 2016. Las Casas de la Moneda de Madrid in La Gatera de la Villa, No. 22, pp. 15-19. ISSN: 1989-9181