1 Dollar - Elizabeth II 4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Martinsyde A1
1.00 AUD = 0.68 USD
|Orientation||Medal alignment ↑↑|
Centenary of The Great Air Race
4th portrait of Queen Elizabeth II facing right wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara
A depiction of a Martinsyde A1 Aircraft superimposed over a compass.
THE GREAT AIR RACE 1919 ENGLAND TO AUSTRALIA
CAPT. CEDRIC E HOWEL LT. GEORGE H FRASER
Engraver: S. Stojanovic
7 shorter smooth segments between 7 reeded segments (11 grooves each)
© Mike Bentley
This NCLT Aluminium-bronze $1 coin was released by the RAM as part of a set of eight coins. It was issued in a coincard inside a metal tin that resembles part of an aircraft engine. Only 10,000 sets will be issued at AU$130.00 per set.
The eight coin set is commemorating the Centenary of the "Great Air Race" that took place in 1919 when seven different aircrews and their aircraft attempted to be the first to fly between England and Australia in less than 30 Days. A prize of £10,000 was announced by Australian Prime Minister Billy Hughes for the first Australian crew to make it home in a British-built plane. This is a map of the route taken.
This particular coin depicts the aircraft flown by Capt. Cedric Howell and navigated by Lt. George Fraser. It is a mystery why decorated fighter pilot Cedric Howell and navigator George Fraser ditched into the dark stormy seas off the Greek island of Corfu. Perhaps they had lost their way or the fuel tanks of the Martinsyde A1 had run dry. Locals heard their cries for help , but the waves were too rough to send out a search party. Howell's body was later washed ashore, but Fraser's was never recovered. This is the front & back of the coincard it was issued in.
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Airco DH9)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Alliance P.2 Endeavour )
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Blackburn Kangaroo)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Caudron G4)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Globe)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Sopwith Wallaby)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Vickers Vimy)
Manage my collection
To manage your collection, please log in.
|2019||10,000||UNC in Coincard|
Get this coin
No member from this site currently wants to exchange this coin.
Contribute to the catalogModify or add information about this coin
Match coins from past online sales