1 Dollar - Elizabeth II 4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Blackburn Kangaroo
1.00 AUD = 0.68 USD
|Orientation||Medal alignment ↑↑|
Centenary of The Great Air Race
4th portrait of Queen Elizabeth II facing right wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara
A depiction of a Blackburn Kangaroo Aircraft superimposed over a compass.
THE GREAT AIR RACE 1919 ENGLAND TO AUSTRALIA
LT. V RENDLE CAPT. GH WILKINS LT. DR WILLIAMS LT GH POTTS
7 shorter smooth segments between 7 reeded segments (11 grooves each)
© Mike Bentley
This NCLT Aluminium-bronze $1 coin was released by the RAM as part of a set of eight coins. It was issued in a coincard inside a metal tin that resembles part of an aircraft engine. Only 10,000 sets will be issued at AU$130.00 per set.
The eight coin set is commemorating the Centenary of the "Great Air Race" that took place in 1919 when seven different aircrews and their aircraft attempted to be the first to fly between England and Australia in less than 30 Days. A prize of £10,000 was announced by Australian Prime Minister Billy Hughes for the first Australian crew to make it home in a British-built plane. This is a map of the route taken.
This particular coin depicts the aircraft flown by four man crew of Lt. V Pendle, Capt. GH Wilkins, Lt. DR Williams & Lt. GH Pots. Pilot Rendle must have felt cursed when oil began spurting from the port engine of his Blackburn Kangaroo bomber soon after taking off from Crete. It was another frustration in a flight, so plagued with delays and mysterious equipment failures, that the crew began to suspect sabotage. The forced landing at Crete brought their race to an end, with the aircraft coming to rest beside a lunatic asylum. This is the front & back of the coincard it was issued in.
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Airco DH9)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Alliance P.2 Endeavour )
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Caudron G4)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Globe)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Martinsyde A1)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Sopwith Wallaby)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Vickers Vimy)
Manage my collection
To manage your collection, please log in.
|2019||10,000||UNC in Coincard|
Get this coin
No member from this site currently wants to exchange this coin.
Contribute to the catalogModify or add information about this coin
Match coins from past online sales