1 Dollar - Elizabeth II 4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Caudron G4
|Queen||Elizabeth II (1952-date)|
1.00 AUD = 0.72 USD
|Orientation||Medal alignment ↑↑|
The Great Air Race
4th portrait of Queen Elizabeth II facing right wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara
A depiction of a Caudron G4 Aircraft superimposed over a compass.
THE GREAT AIR RACE 1919 ENGLAND TO AUSTRALIA
ETIENNE POULET JEAN BENOIST
7 shorter smooth segments between 7 reeded segments (11 grooves each)
© Mike Bentley
MintRoyal Australian Mint, Canberra, Australia (1965-date)
This NCLT Aluminium-bronze $1 coin was released by the RAM as part of a set of eight coins. It was issued in a coincard inside a metal tin that resembles part of an aircraft engine. Only 10,000 sets will be issued at AU$130.00 per set.
The eight coin set is commemorating the Centenary of the "Great Air Race" that took place in 1919 when seven different aircrews and their aircraft attempted to be the first to fly between England and Australia in less than 30 Days. A prize of £10,000 was announced by Australian Prime Minister Billy Hughes for the first Australian crew to make it home in a British-built plane. This is a map of the route taken.
This particular coin depicts the aircraft flown by charismatic Frenchman Etienne Poulet. He was not eligible to win the £10,000 prize, but he was very capable of stealing the glory. In a very tiny Caudron G.4 biplane with twin 80hp engines, Poulet and his mechanic Jean Benoist made it all the way to Burma before Ross Smith's Vickers Vimy finally overtook them. Smith and Poulet made a pact to fly on together over uncharted territory to Bangkok, but a series of engine woes ended the Caudron's race in Burma. This is the front & back of the coincard it was issued in.
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Airco DH9)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Alliance P.2 Endeavour )
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Blackburn Kangaroo)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Globe)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Martinsyde A1)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Sopwith Wallaby)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - The Great Air Race - Vickers Vimy)
Manage my collection
To manage your collection, please log in.
|2019||10,000||UNc in Coincard|
Get this coin
No member from this site currently wants to exchange it.
Contribute to the catalogModify or add data on this page
Match past online sales