1 Dollar - Elizabeth II 6th Portrait - QANTAS 01 - The Flying Kangaroo
1.00 AUD = 0.68 USD
|Composition||Copper (Pad Printed)|
|Orientation||Medal alignment ↑↑|
100 Years of QANTAS 1920-2020
Sixth crowned portrait of HM Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the George IV State Diadem and the Victorian Coronation Necklace
Within an inner ring of White and Red the QANTAS Flying Kangaroo Logo superimposed over the fan blades of a jet engine. Outside the inner ring depictions of 9 different aircraft in groups of 3 used by QANTAS flying outwards. To the top left a Kangaroo, to the right dates 1920 2020, under all is the word QANTAS .
© Mike Bentley
Released jointly by the RAM and QANTAS in a Box Set of eleven coins is this NCLT Copper coloured $1 Coin that commemorates 100 Years of the Australian Airline QANTAS. This coin is larger than a normal $1 coin and is made from Copper. It is the first Australian $1 coin made from that metal. The other coins in the set are the usual Aluminium-bronze. The coin was issued in a coincard inside a folding red box.
The ﬁrst kangaroo symbol appeared on a Qantas Liberator in 1944 with a design based on the Australian penny
coin. Passengers received a certﬁcate titled "The Elevated Order of the Longest Hop". Qantas was forging a
distinctly Autstralian identity and in 1947 the kangaroo grew wings thanks to artist Gert Sellheim who revised the design for the new Lockheed Constellation ‘Kangaroo Route’ to London. This version remained until 1984 when the wings disappeared with a modern design by Tony Lunn.
To coincide with the introduction of the Airbus A380 in 2008, Qantas unveiled a fresh interpretation of the flying
kangaroo designed by Hons Hulsbosch. It was updated again in 2016 by Marc Newson for the Qantas Boeing
787-9 and features a tribute to the past with a smaller winged kangaroo beneath the cockpit.
The flying kangaroo is a powerful symbol of speed, freedom and homecoming. lt provides a tangible connection
between Qantas’ wartime history when it ﬂew the longest hop in the world, with an ambition to continue pushing the limits of ultra-long haul flying with a modern fleet.
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 02 - Fysh and McGinness)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 03 - Outback Pioneer - Avro 504)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 04 - Singapore Service - Empire Flying Boat)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 05 - Indian Ocean Epic - Catalina Flying boat)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 06 - Global Airline - Super Constellation)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 07 - The Jet Age - Boeing 707)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 08 - The Seven Four Seventies - Boeing 747)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 09 - I Still Call Australia Home)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 10 - Meeting the Challenge - Airbus A380)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 11 - Flying to the Future - Boeing 787)
Manage my collection
To manage your collection, please log in.
|2020||40,000||UNC in Coincard|
Get this coin
No member from this site currently wants to exchange this coin.
Contribute to the catalogModify or add information about this coin
Match coins from past online sales