1 Dollar - Elizabeth II 6th Portrait - QANTAS 05 - Indian Ocean Epic - Catalina Flying boat
|Queen||Elizabeth II (1952-date)|
1.00 AUD = 0.72 USD
|Composition||Aluminium-bronze (Pad Printed)|
|Orientation||Medal alignment ↑↑|
100 Years of QANTAS 1920-2020
Sixth crowned portrait of HM Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the George IV State Diadem and the Victorian Coronation Necklace
Within an inner ring of Blue, White and Red a depiction of an Catalina Flying Boat flying above a double sunrise. Outside the inner ring depictions of 4 aircraft flying around the ring. To the lower right in a small circle the early Kangaroo Logo of Qantas. The name of the Air Service at the top of the ring and the word QANTAS below.
DOUBLE SUNRISE SERVICE
1920 - 2020
G - AG10
QANTAS EMPIRE AIRWAYS
7 shorter smooth segments between 7 reeded segments (11 grooves each)
© Mike Bentley
MintRoyal Australian Mint, Canberra, Australia (1965-date)
Released jointly by the RAM and QANTAS in a Box Set of eleven coins is this NCLT Aluminium-bronze coloured $1 coin that commemorates 100 Years of the Australian Airline QANTAS. Nine other coins in the set are also the usual Aluminium-bronze however one of the coins is larger than normal and is made from Copper. The coin was issued in a coincard inside a folding red box.
The fall of Singapore in February 1942 isolated Australia from the pre-war air route to Europe. Qantas Managing
Director Hudson Fysh proposed a new non-stop service between Perth and Ceylon across the lndian Ocean.
Five long-range US-built Catalina ﬂying boats were loaned to Qantas by BOAC. The Qantas lndian Ocean Service
operated between 1943 and 1945, taking an average of 27 hours per flight. They carried priority mail with three
passengers who received a certificate of membership to "The Rare and Secret Order of the Double Sunrise".
ln 1944, Qantas added Liberator aircraft on a "Kangaroo Service" over the Indian Ocean, with passengers receiving an "Elevated Order of the Longest Hop" certificate. The Liberator was the first Qantas aircraft to feature the kangaroo emblem, based on the Australian penny coin design.
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 01 - The Flying Kangaroo)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 02 - Fysh and McGinness)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 03 - Outback Pioneer - Avro 504)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 04 - Singapore Service - Empire Flying Boat)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 06 - Global Airline - Super Constellation)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 07 - The Jet Age - Boeing 707)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 08 - The Seven Four Seventies - Boeing 747)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 09 - I Still Call Australia Home)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 10 - Meeting the Challenge - Airbus A380)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 11 - Flying to the Future - Boeing 787)
Manage my collection
To manage your collection, please log in.
|2020||40,000||UNC in Coincard|
Get this coin
No member from this site currently wants to exchange it.
Contribute to the catalogModify or add data on this page
Match past online sales