1 Dollar - Elizabeth II 6th Portrait - QANTAS 06 - Global Airline - Super Constellation
|Queen||Elizabeth II (1952-date)|
1.00 AUD = 0.72 USD
|Composition||Aluminium-bronze (Pad Printed)|
|Orientation||Medal alignment ↑↑|
100 Years of QANTAS 1920-2020
Sixth crowned portrait of HM Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the George IV State Diadem and the Victorian Coronation Necklace
Within an inner ring of Grey, White and Red a depiction of a Super Constellation aircraft with a map of the Kangaroo Route behind. Outside the inner ring depictions of 4 aircraft flying around the ring. To the lower right in a small circle a revised Kangaroo Logo of Qantas. The name of the Air Service at the top of the ring and the word QANTAS below.
1920 - 2020
7 shorter smooth segments between 7 reeded segments (11 grooves each)
© Mike Bentley
MintRoyal Australian Mint, Canberra, Australia (1965-date)
Released jointly by the RAM and QANTAS in a Box Set of eleven coins is this NCLT Aluminium-bronze coloured $1 coin that commemorates 100 Years of the Australian Airline QANTAS. Nine other coins in the set are also the usual Aluminium-bronze however one of the coins is larger than normal and is made from Copper. The coin was issued in a coincard inside a folding red box.
Qantas ordered six US-built Lockheed L749 Constellations in 1947 and soon after, the Commonwealth
Government bought Qantas as the new national overseas airline. These Constellations pioneered the Kangaroo
Route to London  and Wallaby Route to Johannesburg . The improved L1049 Super Constellation
appeared in 1954 inaugurating Qantas services across the Pacific to San Francisco  and then around—the
world via both hemispheres in 1958, taking five days to travel 25,000 miles.
The Super Constellation introduced Tourist Class travel as a more affordable alternative to First Class. After 1959, Qantas Super Constellations were increasingly used for cargo and charter work. Qantas made over 50 migrant charter flights from Europe to Australia with Super Constellations before their final retirement in 1963.
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 01 - The Flying Kangaroo)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 02 - Fysh and McGinness)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 03 - Outback Pioneer - Avro 504)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 04 - Singapore Service - Empire Flying Boat)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 05 - Indian Ocean Epic - Catalina Flying boat)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 07 - The Jet Age - Boeing 707)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 08 - The Seven Four Seventies - Boeing 747)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 09 - I Still Call Australia Home)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 10 - Meeting the Challenge - Airbus A380)
- 1 Dollar - Elizabeth II (6th Portrait - QANTAS 11 - Flying to the Future - Boeing 787)
Manage my collection
To manage your collection, please log in.
|2020||40,000||UNC in Coincard|
Get this coin
No member from this site currently wants to exchange it.
Contribute to the catalogModify or add data on this page
Match past online sales