25 Cents - Elizabeth II 4th Portrait - Kokoda
0.25 AUD = 0.17 USD
|Orientation||Medal alignment ↑↑|
ANZAC to Afghanistan Series - Kokoda
4th portrait of Queen Elizabeth II facing right wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara
Wounded Australian soldier being assisted by a "Fuzzy Wuzzy Angel" on the Kokoda track
© Mike Bentley
The Royal Australian Mint in conjunction with some Australian Newspapers released this coin in a coincard as part of a 14 coin set. The first coin came with a large folding album. The series is called "ANZACs to Afghanistan".
To get a coin you had to obtain a token from the newspaper and redeem it at a cost of $3.00. Different tokens were published each day for 2 weeks (hence 14 coins). The coins are commemorating 14 significant military moments that have shaped Australia over the past 100 years from World War 1 to the modern day. Ten of the 14 coins released in the series are 20 cent coins and four of them are Australia's first 25 cent coins.
This NCLT 25 Cent coin Is one of the first "Quarters" ever issued by the RAM. Although not meant for circulation it is legal tender. This particular coin refers to the famous "Kokoda Track" in Papua New Guinea during WW2. The Japanese assault on Port Moresby was initially successful. Despite winning battles in the early stages of the campaign, Australian troops were forced to retreat. Virtually all ammunition, equipment an supplies were carried over the mountainous jungle path by hand. Native carriers, known to the troops as "Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels", helped carry and care for the wounded. The Japanese got to within 50km of Port Moresby but by then the Australians started to push the Japanese back to their coastal bases at Buna and Gona and the Japanese were eventually defeated in Papua new Guinea. While this was a victory for the Allies, the Kokoda campaign resulted in more than 600 Australian dead, 1600 wounded and more than 4000 other casualties.
- 20 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Afghanistan)
- 20 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Bomber Command)
- 20 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Darwin Bombing)
- 20 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Dogs at War)
- 20 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Fromelles)
- 20 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Korean War)
- 20 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Peacekeeping)
- 20 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Rats of Tobruk)
- 20 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Special Forces)
- 20 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Thai-Burma Railway)
- 25 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Long Tan)
- 25 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Our Legends)
- 25 Cents - Elizabeth II (4th Portrait - Peace)
Manage my collection
To manage your collection, please log in.
|2016||268,200||3.69||UNC in Coincard|
Values in the table above are expressed in USD. They are based on evaluations by Numista users and sales realized on Internet platforms. They serve as a measure, but they are not intended to be relied upon for buying, selling or exchanging coins. Numista does not buy or sell coins.
Get this coin
Contribute to the catalogModify or add information about this coin
Match coins from past online sales