24 posts • viewed 879 times

» Quick access to the last post

Further discussion here:

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,49061.0.html

The offending article:

https://imgur.com/gallery/HthmmEb

The distributor:

https://www.coinsky.com/shop/view/5691789.html

It seems someone in China has had the 'bright idea' of taking advantage of the pandemic to make fake Gibraltar coin BU presentation packets. They come complete with strange text, spelling errors, awful design aesthetics and probably a fake mintage (they should add a few zeroes).

I live in Hong Kong and they are coming out here, the trouble is no one realises they are fake yet. A simple Google search shows nothing coming up from the usual British mints and distributors. When I first picked it up and examined it, it looked cheaply made and below quality but it was being sold at a reputable silver bullion dealer and it came in that nice looking plastic bag. Seems they are getting the knack for it, people are already finding these in their change back in the West.

I think it's pretty scummy to take advantage of the situation to start making fake commemorative coins, there are already so many fake silver and gold coins I guess they wanted to try something new ;( stay alert, people!
https://www.lpm.hk/zh/2020-8-gram-gibraltar-the-global-fight-against-covid-19-cupro-nickel-commemorative-coin.html

LPM one of the main silver distributors in HK has already stopped selling it. Whoops!
That link isn't working.
Yea they seem to have taken it down, I guess news is getting out. I can assure you they were selling them in bulk 50 at a time.
You have helped me to refuse to list it. Thanks for your detective work. At about the same time you discovered this, my friend in Gibraltar also responded that this was not a real Gibraltar coin.
Good job on this one 👍🏻

image of the website that sells these. Red text says this price is a bargain I think.
These are genuine commemorative 50 pence coins of Gibraltar. They should be included in the catalog.
This coin was minted by Tower mint it is legal tender of Gibraltar.

https://www.towermint.co.uk/

just because you can’t find it online doesn’t automatically mean it’s fake. Some proof and evidence instead of spreading rumours would be great.
Quote: "durden"​This coin was minted by Tower mint it is legal tender of Gibraltar.

​just because you can’t find it online doesn’t automatically mean it’s fake. Some proof and evidence instead of spreading rumours would be great.
​That knife cuts both ways. Your link to the Tower mint doesn't give any proof that 50 pence coin was struck there.
"A simple Google search shows nothing coming up from the usual British mints and distributors."

These coins will later this year be available from the regular coin dealers as confirmed to me by several of them. They will also be released into general circulation in Gibraltar. The coins are indeed a product of the Tower Mint and were produced with knowledge and authorization of the Government of Gibraltar.

I understand that they should have already been released but because of COVID-19 there appears to be delay in the legislative procedure. Furthermore it appears that some mistakes were made during the production that have to be rectified.

Some packaged pieces managed to escape the mint as well as one of the circulation coins, which was found in circulation in London (where Tower Mint is also located).
Quote: "durden"​This coin was minted by Tower mint it is legal tender of Gibraltar.

​just because you can’t find it online doesn’t automatically mean it’s fake. Some proof and evidence instead of spreading rumours would be great.
​Nope, it’s fake. One thing I’ve noticed is that on a real Brexit 50p in BU packaging that I have the weight is given as ‘8.00g’, whereas on the fake the weight is given as ‘8 grams’. It also doesn’t have the FSC certification stamp on the packaging or the copyright symbol. And the thought of a coin not carrying the Queen’s portrait on the obverse is outrageous and would break centuries of British royal tradition. And there is absolutely no trace of this coin on any official websites.
Quote: "GoldenGarfield"
​​Nope, it’s fake. One thing I’ve noticed is that on a real Brexit 50p in BU packaging that I have the weight is given as ‘8.00g’, whereas on the fake the weight is given as ‘8 grams’. It also doesn’t have the FSC certification stamp on the packaging or the copyright symbol. And the thought of a coin not carrying the Queen’s portrait on the obverse is outrageous and would break centuries of British royal tradition. And there is absolutely no trace of this coin on any official websites.

Unfortunately you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The Brexit 50p in BU packaging is a UK coin made by The Royal Mint. The COVID-19 50p coin of Gibraltar was made by Tower Mint. Different companies so a different format of the weight on the packaging is not strange at all.

Furthermore coins of Gibraltar can without any problem be produced without the Queen's portrait. In recent years this happens more often. There are 2 types of cases in which they use their coat of arms instead of the Queen's portrait:

1. When a coin needs to be issued quickly. The approval process to get permission for the use of the Queen's portrait on a coin takes upto 6 months. If they want to issue a coin quickly, this is too long. The coin market is highly competitive. The first company that comes up with a theme gets the biggest share of the market. Furthermore demand will in general be higher if the coin is being issued as soon as possible after an event has happened. When Dame Vera Lynn died for example, Gibraltar immediately issued a coin. If they would have had to wait for at least 6 months, demand for such a coin would have been much lower by then.

2. British Overseas Territories are only allowed to use the Queen's portrait on their coins if there is an actual connection between the theme of the coin and the specific territory. If this is not the case, they may not use the Queen's portrait. An example of this are the Rolling Stones coins that Gibraltar recently issued, which have the Gibraltar coat of arms on their obverse.

Obviously demand for a coin like this will be higher during the actual pandemic than some time after it when normal life has resumed. I can imagine that they therefore around March, when nobody was able to foresee for how long this COVID-19 was still going to be relevant, decided to issue a coin quickly and not wait 6 months to be able to use the Queen's portrait. As we now know, the coins have not yet been issued because of several circumstances.
Quote: "Euromunt"
Quote: "GoldenGarfield"
​​​Nope, it’s fake. One thing I’ve noticed is that on a real Brexit 50p in BU packaging that I have the weight is given as ‘8.00g’, whereas on the fake the weight is given as ‘8 grams’. It also doesn’t have the FSC certification stamp on the packaging or the copyright symbol. And the thought of a coin not carrying the Queen’s portrait on the obverse is outrageous and would break centuries of British royal tradition. And there is absolutely no trace of this coin on any official websites.
​​
​Unfortunately you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The Brexit 50p in BU packaging is a UK coin made by The Royal Mint. The COVID-19 50p coin of Gibraltar was made by Tower Mint. Different companies so a different format of the weight on the packaging is not strange at all.

​Furthermore coins of Gibraltar can without any problem be produced without the Queen's portrait. In recent years this happens more often. There are 2 types of cases in which they use their coat of arms instead of the Queen's portrait:

​1. When a coin needs to be issued quickly. The approval process to get permission for the use of the Queen's portrait on a coin takes upto 6 months. If they want to issue a coin quickly, this is too long. The coin market is highly competitive. The first company that comes up with a theme gets the biggest share of the market. Furthermore demand will in general be higher if the coin is being issued as soon as possible after an event has happened. When Dame Vera Lynn died for example, Gibraltar immediately issued a coin. If they would have had to wait for at least 6 months, demand for such a coin would have been much lower by then.

​2. British Overseas Territories are only allowed to use the Queen's portrait on their coins if there is an actual connection between the theme of the coin and the specific territory. If this is not the case, they may not use the Queen's portrait. An example of this are the Rolling Stones coins that Gibraltar recently issued, which have the Gibraltar coat of arms on their obverse.

​Obviously demand for a coin like this will be higher during the actual pandemic than some time after it when normal life has resumed. I can imagine that they therefore around March, when nobody was able to foresee for how long this COVID-19 was still going to be relevant, decided to issue a coin quickly and not wait 6 months to be able to use the Queen's portrait. As we now know, the coins have not yet been issued because of several circumstances.
​I still stand by my opinion that it’s fake. Maybe I’ll stand corrected at the end of the year when the big distributors release them, but for now I think it’s dodgy. Way too many inconsistencies and mistakes.
The Tower Mint has published a page confirming that this is an official coin. I hope the coin will again be added to the catalog soon.
The coin has been announced on the tower mint’s website, so it is real. I stand corrected. I’m still assuming the ones coming out of that Chinese website were counterfeits of the real thing though.

https://www.towermint.co.uk/project/2020-covid-19-coa-50p-coin/

I obviously no longer believe the coin is a fake, but what a terribly designed coin! So many inconsistencies and mistakes! Definitely a shameless cash grab...
The Tower Mint website carries some weight. Can we also know anything more from the Gibraltar government? I would think their laws aren't a secret...and one passed do suddenly after an early release of a suspicious issue would be interesting reading indeed.
Can we see the document, please?
All coins shown were genuine. There are no fakes of this type.
The documents please? I would think that if they exist you could provide the source...the wording of the law for example. Or the legal official who you claim as a source...
In my message of yesterday I mistakenly wrote that a statement had been published by the Government of Gibraltar confirming that this is an official coin. It was not the Government of Gibraltar that published this statement but rather Tower Mint. I have now edited this in my message of yesterday.

I have never claimed to have obtained information from a legal official in regard of this coin so I have no idea why you mention this.

It is good that Tower Mint has published this statement so people will now more easily trust that it is indeed an official coin. So far the release of this coin has been a rather strange one so I can imagine that people had concerns about the authenticity. Certainly in a time in which many fantasy coins exist.
Quote: "Euromunt"​All coins shown were genuine. There are no fakes of this type.
​I really doubt the coins from a Chinese site selling 50 at a time are real...
Quote: "Euromunt"​Furthermore it appears that some mistakes were made during the production that have to be rectified.

​‘some’ mistakes? It’s one of the ugliest coins I’ve ever seen! So many errors they’re hard to even count. The finish of the coin looks like plastic, the design on the packaging is irrelevant to the coin itself and very ugly, and the text inside said packaging looks like it was put through google translate a few times. there’s no hyphen between COVID and 19 (an easy mistake to make but not one that should be on an official coin) and the reverse design is simply repulsive to look at (most commemoratives from Gibraltar have ugly designs but this one really takes the cake). What a terrible coin. Also incredibly scummy that Gibraltar issues coins immediately during or just after events. People are dying, economies are failing, and they take the opportunity to make a cash grab? Same thing with that Vera Lynn crown. Didn’t even give a couple months for the mourning and the funeral before they made their money move.
It certainly seems that this project was done in a hurry with too few checks. I do not know to what extent the mistakes on the coin and packaging will have been corrected once they are finally being officially released. I know that work has been done to rectify the mistakes at least partially. I however think that we can be sure that Tower Mint won't be happy with this situation either. This is certainly not how things normally go there.

As for it being ethical to release a coin so quickly for Covid, I think it is a complicated matter and I am sure that opinions will differ on that. I can certainly see what you mean though.

It is worth mentioning that Gibraltar is not the first issuer to release a coin with a theme related to Covid-19. A few dozen coins have in the meantime been issued by countries from all over the world.

As for the Vera Lynn coin, I understand that people around Vera Lynn approved the release of the coin to commemorate her passing so I feel there are no problems with that one. Had that not been the case, then it would indeed have been questionable behaviour.

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 04:39PM.