1637 Principality of Catalonia One Croat NGC AU53

12 posts • viewed 152 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hello Numista community,

I recently purchased this 1637 One Croat coin from the Spanish States Principality of Catalonia. I won it from eBay on September 10th. NGC lists this coin as a "Top Pop" piece.

When adding this coin to my Numista collection, it lists 1637 twice (on two lines) with two different catalog numbers of Cal#978 and Cal#979.

Can someone be so kind as to educate me on what the difference is between the two Cal numbers?

I'm adding photos to assist in identifying the proper Cal number.

Thank you in advance!

Bill
I cant blow up your photo so I cant inspect your variety but I suspect the difference in the way the legend either says :
PHILIPPVS or
PHILIPP9

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces47937.html
It must be something else because both 1637 lines say KM# 23.2 which is the PHILIPP9 variety:

I think there is a mistake in our catalog. The KM# 23 for Catalonia is a different coin:

According to Krause, your coin is not from Catalonia but from Barcelona. And then you have the explanation for the two 1637 lines: the second line is with the date on both sides:

Your pictures are way to small but as far as I can see there is no date on the obverse, so I guess yours is Cal # 978.

I've wanted to make a change request for the mistake (Catalonia/Barcelona) and let the referee decide whether Krause is wrong or Numista is wrong but there isn't a Barcelona section on Numista (except the medieval County of Barcelona. No idea yet where all the Barcelona coins are placed in our catalog, probably all under Catalonia. Hopefully the Spanish referee reads this post and can shed a light on this subject.
Perhaps the referee for Catalonia can tell us what the difference is. I don't know why Numista lists subsets and then does not precisely explain the logic behind listing them.
From what I can fathom, part of the confusion is that Barcelona, in the 1600s, was a city within the Principality of Catalonia, however, Barcelona was minting their own coinage.
For the moment, and the fact that my coin is listed under the Principality of Catalonia, I'll keep it where it is until such time as Numista is changed/updated to reflect the differences in the Spanish States.
In the past, I've submitted requests to update the Numista website but I'm not sure where to even begin to offer corrections on this one.
please add some space left and right of the pictures
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften

Quote: "Bill1970"​From what I can fathom, part of the confusion is that Barcelona, in the 1600s, was a city within the Principality of Catalonia, however, Barcelona was minting their own coinage.

When Barcelona was minting their own coinage Barcelona deserves to be in our catalog as new issuer under "Barcelona, City of​". I've sent a message to the referee (in case he didn't read this thread) to hear his opinion about this subject. At the same time I'll ask him about which Cal# you have, but since your coin only has the date on the reverse, I still guess yours is Cal # 978.

Your new pictures are much much better but can you also take a picture of what's written on the slab?
Hi Essor Prof...

Here's a photo of the label. Seems pretty straight forward but maybe it'll help in the creation of a "Barcelona, City of" category for Numista.

I have added a comment to year 1637 Cal#979 about it has the date in the legend of both sides. Also added a image of the portrait side of this variant.

These coins were minted in Barcelona to be used in all Principality of Catalonia.
Referee for Spain, Iberia (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
Quote: "Bill1970"

​I like that coin!!!
ver nice! :o
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:35.