1938 Japanese Conquest Of Shanghai medallion

6 posts • viewed 324 times
I found this thread from some time back but it doesn't address the silver version and, it says it's a copy:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces47995.html

I believe this one is silver. It weighs 27.15 grams, and is 39.1mm in diameter and 3.09mm thick at the rim edge. So where is an example of an

original with which to compare? This "looks circulated. Which is of course how copies/fakes look. It's not cast, it's struck. And it's heavy. were it brass it would need to be thicker to weigh like it does, in copper it would be awfully close to silver in specific gravity. And it's got it's denticles. Most copies seem to have little detail for those. I take it there were silver repros/copies?

Any thoughts appreciated.

ps, sorry for the misaligned pix... all the pix are of MY coin; not ones from another thread.
Silver plated copper? That green stuff on the edge sure looks like verdigris.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.  It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so.  Mark Twain
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 16-Sep-2020, 21:31)
There's no copper showing through but I get your point. The weight is what seems good to me but: if these were just medals/tokens, and were never used as coin, then why is there so much wear on the devices? This coin/medal looks cirrculated.
Quote: "rynegold"​There's no copper showing through but I get your point. The weight is what seems good to me but: if these were just medals/tokens, and were never used as coin, then why is there so much wear on the devices? This coin/medal looks cirrculated.
​Hello and have a nice day to the world.

I can feel the silver through the monitor, from the point of view, it appears silver without false patination. Just a classic mixture with a low silver content ( 0.300-0.500 silver) green verdigris -Bad storage arose here ,,PVC and moisture,, Yeah wear and tear is easy when you carry it in your wallet for good luck.
My theory, without the knowledge of the original, just from logic:
,, If the thickness is greater than the reproduction- and has other differences from reproduction, so it can also be an original,,
for me, the look is without signs of attempting deception.
My opinion and I wish health and well-being.
Ivan
Here they state one as being silver plated brass.
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1237444
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Quote: "apuking"​Here they state one as being silver plated brass.
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1237444
​ Have a nice day and especially health.
It's misunderstood by me ,,silver plated?,, , I understand a mixture of brass ( Like copper and zinc ) and I understand zinc in the sense of war metal for coins and tokens. It also makes sense to me that the small content of silver is simply happening in these areas. ( Low gold content in Japanese coins )

For me, the mixture: Copper - zinc - silver ?
Pleating is easy to prove it would be wiped at the edges and the brass would glow ?

Please take it that I am based on the picture , I think from a great distance , in antiquity the guy pulled out a knife and made a cut - humor again.
My opinion so hello and keep from disease.
Ivan

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:56.