Why aren't Euro banknotes represented on the Map of Countries? [solved]

19 posts • viewed 224 times

This message aims at: requesting the creation or the modification of a currency or denomination in the catalogue

Upvotes: 7
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,

first of all, I would like to say that the option of adding Banknotes to Numista is a hell-of-a-good-job! When I first joined Numista in 2014, I really hoped that this feature would be implemented some day, and now it is exactly what I was dreaming about =)

I don’t know who or how many people are behind this, but your result is truly fantastic. The best collection tool of coins and banknotes you can find in the entire world.

Another awesome feature is the map on the dashboard, but I’ve noticed that it does not reflect Euro banknotes as it does Euro coins. If you have, say, 32 German Marks and 18 German Euro coins, the country displays a total of 50 coins. In contrast, it does not work like that for banknotes.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that Euro coins are country-specific while Euro banknotes are not. However, I still think that adding a 5 Euro banknote should increase your total number in each Eurozone country (+1 for France, +1 for Belgium, etc.), since these are the banknotes those countries are using now.

What do you think?

And once again, thank you for this great Banknotes add-on!
Status changed to Done (stratocaster, 3-Jan-2021, 22:00)
Hello,
this should be fixed.
The following countries were added to the eurozone on the map:
Austria
Belgium
Cyprus
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
the Netherlands
Portugal
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain

hope I didn't miss anything

regards
strato
Thank you!

It looks it's fixed now.

Much appreciated.
These countries are also using the Euro as their sole currency:
Andorra
Kosovo
Monaco
Montenegro
Saint Barthélemy
Saint Martin
Saint Pierre and Miquelon
San Marino
Vatican City
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"​These countries are also using the Euro as their sole currency:
​Andorra
​Kosovo
​Monaco
​Montenegro
​Saint Barthélemy
​Saint Martin
​Saint Pierre and Miquelon
​San Marino
​Vatican City
​Thank you

I added all but the ones I cannot find on the Numista map: Kosovo, St Barthélemy, and St Martin

best
:wiz:
Montenegro and Kosovo are no dependencies of any euro country and are using the euro on their own accord they should not be covered.
We also don't cover countries that are or have used the dollar unilaterally as their only currency.
Even official use should not be the single determinant or we could cover half the world if you own a British pound.
Euro banknotes are legal tender in all Eurozone countries.

Aidan.
Quote: "Idolenz"​Montenegro and Kosovo are no dependencies of any euro country and are using the euro on their own accord they should not be covered.
​We also don't cover countries that are or have used the dollar unilaterally as their only currency.
​Even official use should not be the single determinant or we could cover half the world if you own a British pound.
​Thank you, Idolenz. This makes sense. Montenegro is out
I just answered the question where the Euro is being used. If you don't wish to include Kosovo and Montenegro, it's fine. No sweat, mate.
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, & the Vatican City all have the Euro as well - but Euro coins only.

Kosovo & Montenegro don't have any banknotes or coins in circulation - but use whatever Euros are in circulation in those 2 countries.

The same thing applies to Zimbabwe - which has multiple currencies in circulation, including the Euro & the Pound Sterling.

Aidan.
I think this discussion is going in circles here...

There is one key aspect – does the country have the right to mint and print?

There are 19 Eurozone members that stratocaster mentioned, so these should definitely be included.

Then there are 4 European "mini-states" that have their own Euro coins (Andorra, San Marino, Vatican and Monaco), but they are neither part of the Eurozone nor the EU. I believe they should be included under the Banknotes as well. They have monetary agreements to mint/print their own currency (as in the case of Monaco having one with France).

Of course, any overseas dependencies, such as French Guiana, should be automatically included under their respective countries as it is the case with coins already.

Any other countries that unilaterally use the Euro or any other "foreign" currency, such as Kosovo, Montenegro or Zimbabwe, should definitely NOT be included (in the dashboard overview or anywhere else), because as Idolenz aptly pointed out... we could've covered a half of the world with any major currency.
Luxembourg also has Euro coins - but as far as I am aware, Luxembourg has never had Euro notes printed for it.

Aidan.
But Luxembourg is a founding country of the EU (or more precisely of the European Community) and is part of the Eurozone, like France or Belgium.

Even if Luxembourg or any of those other 22 countries did not or do not print Euro banknotes, they should be attributed with them under the Dashboard anyway because they have their own Euro coins, hence their "own currency".

It would be really strange if a country had its own coins but not its own banknotes.
Hello,

To begin with, I would like to thank you for this update on the map including the eurozone.

I would like to make a comment that I have seen and I find it strange.

I have banknotes from both Greece and the Eurozone.

Well, in the continental region I find that I have banknotes from both zones (Greece and Eurozone), but curiously on the island of Crete there is only one zone (Greece).

I comment on this in case it could be solved.

Regards
Lol! That must've begn a mistake.
Quote: "Sir Arthur Lostley"​Hello,

​To begin with, I would like to thank you for this update on the map including the eurozone.

​I would like to make a comment that I have seen and I find it strange.

​I have banknotes from both Greece and the Eurozone.

​Well, in the continental region I find that I have banknotes from both zones (Greece and Eurozone), but curiously on the island of Crete there is only one zone (Greece).

​I comment on this in case it could be solved.

​Regards
​And looking at the map again, the same thing happens to the two points in Portugal corresponding to the Azores and Madeira islands.
Thank you,
I added the French Guyana, Crete, Azores, Madeira, and Reunion
If anything else is missing let me know
regards
strato
Quote: "stratocaster"​Thank you,
​I added the French Guyana, Crete, Azores, Madeira, and Reunion
​If anything else is missing let me know
​regards
​strato

I think you mean 'French Guiana', as Guyana is an independent country - & the only Anglophone one in South America.

Aidan.
Topic moved to "Numista website" (ZacUK, 12-Oct-2022, 22:26)

Greetings to all and happy 2023.

For a few days, Croatia has joined the eurozone.

I am commenting on this since this country should be included in the banknotes map of the Numista website within the eurozone.

I don't know if Croatia will issue banknotes in the near future and what would be its letter for the numerical series, but it would happen like Luxembourg, which hasn't issued any up to now, however this country appears on the eurozone map

Regards

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:54.