Get back to the old design

United Kingddom 1 Pound 1996

8 posts • viewed 164 times
Dear All,

could you please have a look at this ?

Seems to be normal 1 Pound coin

This should be just 1997, but my coin is 1996.

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Andrej
I'm not an expert, but it's not unlikely that you've got a counterfeit there. The round pound in many forms has apparently been subject to huge amounts of counterfeiting. So much so that they had to be demonetized, if I remember correctly.

There's a whole website dedicated to the varieties that have turned up and it looks like there's a few 1996's there:
http://www.thefakepoundcoindatabase.co.uk/LIONS.html

Hope this helps!
yup counterfeit
Apparently 3% of round £1 coins in circulation were fakes near the end. That’s why they switched to the new design.
Thanks a lot !

Just a stupid question: Why anyone made fake coin with wrong date ? with the correct one should be easier, no ?

Andrej
Everyday shoppers don't bother to look at their change too closely so it didn't really matter about the date.
If it looked near enough you could get away with it.
I've got a few fakes squirreled away somewhere along with a couple £2.00's
Quote: "Andrej_SVK"​Thanks a lot !

​Just a stupid question: Why anyone made fake coin with wrong date ? with the correct one should be easier, no ?

​Andrej
​For the Italian legislation the crime is minor because it becomes imitation and not counterfeiting, maybe in the UK is similar?
Quote: "Andrej_SVK"​Thanks a lot !

​Just a stupid question: Why anyone made fake coin with wrong date ? with the correct one should be easier, no ?

​Andrej
​I believe that since so many people were not collectors and there were too many designs to remember for a non-collector, they didn't care too much about having the right design for the right date, as it would likely pass as a genuine coin to a clueless shopkeeper.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 07:54PM.