1881 Umberto I 100 Lire Gold Coin

10 posts • viewed 228 times

» Quick access to the last post

Disclaimer: I am not a coin collector and apologize in advance for my ignorance of numismatics and any terminology mistakes I will likely make.

I cannot find any reference to an Italian 1881 100 Lire gold coin. This coin was part of a significant collection with many verified vintage genuine coins in an inheritance. Local coin dealer confirmed gold content but says no such coin was ever in circulation. (It looks identical to the 1883 100 Lire coin.)

Is it possible that a proof coin for 1881 was made but the coin was not minted for public use?

If the coin is a forgery, it seems odd for the forger to go to the trouble of using the correct gold content if the provenance of the coin could not be established.

I appreciate if any of you have ideas on how to proceed in identifying this coin.
Welcome to Numista!

You'll need to post clear, cropped photos of both sides, plus a diameter in mm and weight to the nearest tenth of a gram for our members to give you the best opinion on its authenticity.
OK — I’ll get those photos. In the meantime, Hoping someone can provide feedback based on the info I’ve provided.
It could also be gold but it is 100% fake!
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 21-Oct-2020, 05:35)
Numismatics is full of improbable tales that end up a reality; but the reality is that in 99.99% of cases, they aren't reality.

How did the local coin dealer 'confirm gold content' ? He'd have known in an instant if it was a proof too. They feel different.
Thanks for that info -- the coin is probably not a proof then. Either genuine or a high quality forgery?
Unfortunately the font isn't even the same as the genuine coin. No need to look further. Either a jewellers curiousity or a gold plated forgery or something
This is a famous fake coin. Several speciments are known, probably gold plated. That date doesn't exist.
Thanks for that info -- sounds like the coin is a forgery. The coin dealer offered the bullion value for the coin -- perhaps that's a good offer if the forgery has no value beyond the gold that is in it.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:34.