Two new coloured $2 Coins from Australia

14 posts • viewed 289 times
I have just added the two new Australian coloured $2 coins that were just issued by the RAM.

They share the same obverse although the Firefighter one is dated 2020 and the Aboriginal Flag one is dated 2021.

The one on the left is to commemorate 50 years of the Aboriginal Flag and is included as part of the just released 2021 Proof and UNC Mint Sets. It is not known for sure if they will eventually go into circulation but I believe they will do sometime next year. The Aboriginal Flag is an official Flag of Australia and a symbol of pride and unity for our First Nations People.
This is a link to the page ... https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces242421.html

The one on the right is to remember the sacrifice made by Firefighters all over the World but especially the ones that had to fight the horrendous bushfires that happened in Australia late in 2019. It shows both a male and female firefighter holding hoses with a central coloured ball of flame. These coins have been released in a coincard with a 'C' Mintmark and also in a coincard without the Mintmark. It is expected that around 2 million of these will be released into circulation at face value.
This is a link to the page ... https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces242415.html

I don't have the actual coins in my possession yet so have used the Royal Australian Mint images with their permission. When I get the real coins I will update the photos on the coin pages.

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia - I Collect - Australia, UK & Dependancies, Some NZ, USA & Euros. I also have other World Coins that I swap for the coins I collect.
Mike,
check out http://www.worldcoinnews.blogspot.com .

The Aboriginal Flag one is dated 2021, yet the photo in the catalogue listing has the date 2020 on the obverse.

You should correct it.

Aidan.
Quote: "BCNumismatics"​Mike,
​ check out http://www.worldcoinnews.blogspot.com .

​The Aboriginal Flag one is dated 2021, yet the photo in the catalogue listing has the date 2020 on the obverse.

​You should correct it.

​Aidan.
​Good pick up Aidan .. I have fixed it. - Mike
Referee for Australia - I Collect - Australia, UK & Dependancies, Some NZ, USA & Euros. I also have other World Coins that I swap for the coins I collect.
I like the coloured Australian $2 coins I need about three for the full collection plus the two new ones.
Oh these things are hardwork.

I have only just copped all the following

That is the 2020 standard, womens 2020 cricket and the last two Mr Squiggles I need for my collection. Someone is about to send me the 75th anniversary of WW2. Both 2019s including the scarce IRB 2019. I already have all the coloured and general coins issued between 2014 and early 2019.

I added the donation dollar too as its clearly the first coloured $1 coin in general circulation.

My collection misses just one coin - the damed 2013 Coronation one, but has this beauty

Yes thats right!
Love silver coins of the UK, NZ and Commonwealth.
I collect piece by piece and do the best I can.
Autism positive
I don't do swaps or trades sorry
Both of these Coloured Australian $2 coins have now been updated with actual images of real coins instead of RAM drawings.

2020 - 2 Dollars - Elizabeth II 6th Portrait - Remembrance Day - Firefighters
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces242415.html

2021 - 2 Dollars - Elizabeth II 6th Portrait - 50th Anniversary of the Aboriginal Flag
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces242421.html

Regards Mike
Do you sell them ?
No I don't, but I have got a lot of coloured $2 coins in my swaplist.

Mike
It feels so weird that they release coin dated 2021 in November. Why do they do that?
We don't even know if there will be a 2021 yet. We don't even know if there will be a tomorrow...
Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"​It feels so weird that they release coin dated 2021 in November. Why do they do that?
​We don't even know if there will be a 2021 yet. We don't even know if there will be a tomorrow...
​It is quite simple really. the Aboriginal coin is included in the 2021 Year Sets. It will be in both the Proof and Uncirculated sets. The Royal Australian Mint always release these in mid November so that they can be purchased as Christmas presents.

I bought 2 Uncirculated sets and a Proof Set myself. I give the Proof set to my wife and she wraps it up for Christmas. I get it on Christmas day. That way I make sure that I get something I want and not some useless item haha.

The Aboriginal Flag coloured $2 coin will be also released into circulation in 2021, not quite sure when yet, but I would expect in the first half of the year.

The RAM have a habit of releasing coins early. In 2018 around October some 2019 dated $1 coins suddenly started to appear in circulation. Everyone wondered what was going on. The coins also had [A], [U ] or [S] privymarks on them as well as a tiny number 35. The RAM said nothing and for a little while the coin community here was wondering what was going on. The AUS privy thing was supposed to represent Australia.

It turned out they were released to commemorate 35 years of the dollar coin which was introduced in 1984. The coins got the nickname "Time Traveller" coins being dated 2019 but released into circulation in 2018. It was all part of a promotion that the RAM called "Dollar Discovery". The idea was to get people collecting the set of three and entering a competition that resulted in the winner getting a trip to the mint to strike their own One Kilogram silver $1 coin. There were six winners I believe.

Check out the 2019 Year lines on this coin to see the Time Traveller Coins >>> https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3148.html

Here is a pic of the coin with an [S] privy on it...

As to your comment about "We don't even know if there will be a 2021 yet. We don't even know if there will be a tomorrow." .. Well I can confirm there is a tomorrow, remember we are in Australia and we are in tomorrow when you are in yesterday ;).

Cheers Mike
Quote: "brismike"​​It is quite simple really. the Aboriginal coin is included in the 2021 Year Sets. It will be in both the Proof and Uncirculated sets. The Royal Australian Mint always release these in mid November so that they can be purchased as Christmas presents.
​Fair enough, but why date them 2021? They were struck in 2020, so why not date them 2020? Does that mean that all coins are dated 1 year a head of time? So my 1875 might be struck in 1874? How does that make any sence?
Quote: "brismike"​I bought 2 Uncirculated sets and a Proof Set myself. I give the Proof set to my wife and she wraps it up for Christmas. I get it on Christmas day. That way I make sure that I get something I want and not some useless item haha.
​LOL, douche. :O:O
Quote: "brismike"​The RAM have a habit of releasing coins early. In 2018 around October some 2019 dated $1 coins suddenly started to appear in circulation. Everyone wondered what was going on. The coins also had [A], [U ] or [S] privymarks on them as well as a tiny number 35. The RAM said nothing and for a little while the coin community here was wondering what was going on. The AUS privy thing was supposed to represent Australia.

​It turned out they were released to commemorate 35 years of the dollar coin which was introduced in 1984. The coins got the nickname "Time Traveller" coins being dated 2019 but released into circulation in 2018. It was all part of a promotion that the RAM called "Dollar Discovery". The idea was to get people collecting the set of three and entering a competition that resulted in the winner getting a trip to the mint to strike their own One Kilogram silver $1 coin. There were six winners I believe.

​Check out the 2019 Year lines on this coin to see the Time Traveller Coins >>> https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3148.html
Well that's a pretty cool thing though, but to make that to a habbit I don't see a reason to. The link goes to the 2000-2019 issue though. Is that the coin you're talking about?
Quote: "brismike"​As to your comment about "We don't even know if there will be a 2021 yet. We don't even know if there will be a tomorrow." .. Well I can confirm there is a tomorrow, remember we are in Australia and we are in tomorrow when you are in yesterday ;).
LOL! But how about your tomorrow? Are you gonna give the Samoan a ring to ask about the day? ;)
Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
I thought I explained why they are dated 2021 .... It is because they are included in the Proof and UNC Year sets for 2021. The RAM always releases them just before the end of the current year for the next year. I think it is called doing business putting them out there for Christmas buyers.

Mints can do what they like. In 2015 Andorra minted a 2 euro CC and released it in March 2015 but it was dated 2014.
In 2016 they minted two more 2 euro CC coins and released them on 18th July 2016 but they were dated 2015.
They did a similar thing again in 2017 with 2016 dated coins.

When Australia changed over to Decimal currency in 1966 the coins were all dated 1966, but the vast bulk of the new coins were minted & produced in 1965. The same thing would have happened in the UK when they changed to decimal currency in 1971.

When the euro was introduced in 2002 throughout the eurozone as it was then why did Belgium, Finland, France, The Netherlands and Spain mint and issue coins dated 1999, 2000 & 2001? The answer is because they can do what they like. They will have reasons as will the other countries that only issued coins dated from 2002.

Now what is with the "LOL, douche" comment?

And yes that link did go to the 2000-2019 issue, did you not see where I said "Check out the 2019 Year Lines". That coin is the definitive $1 coin and is produced just about every year and the reason for the privy marks and the number 35 on the coin was to celebrate 35 years of the coin. The whole reason of the Dollar Discovery promotion was to encourage coin collecting.

https://numismag.com/en/2019/02/26/australias-dollar-discovery-mega-coin-hunt-in-australia/

And don't worry, Tomorrow will happen and so will 2021.

Mike
Quote: "brismike"​Now what is with the "LOL, douche" comment?

​That was a joke, mate. Please note the two laughing emojies. It was a reply to your "I bought this to myself so I'll know I get something I want" comment. I could really hear myself saying the exact same thing, and then I could see my wife's face after saying it, abd she would just look at me and say "douche". :D No hard feelings.
No worries mate . . All good.

Mike

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:13AM.