Menu

How old are you ? What's your job ? And other hobbies ?

317 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Just to get to know people better I thought this could be nice :) Don't put any fields in you're not comfortable with but ...

I'm 22, work as a plumbing and heating engineer and my other hobbies include modifying cars, rural walks with the girlfriend and mutt, and just doing things with friends.
BRITISH EMPIRE COLLECTION FOR SALE.INBOX ME IF YOU WANY ANY.

MAY SWAP FOR DURHAM AND NORTHUMBERLAND CONDER TOKENS OR OLD GIBRALTAR QUART COINS/ TOKENS
Hey there Mark.

I'm a 16 year old Japanese kid who has AP classes as a job. Yeah it's depressing, but at least it's not soda pressing.

I also collect stamps from the Japanese Empire, British Empire, French Empire, and other stamps, mostly concentrated in the Asian region.

Let's see what other people have to say.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Hello,

I am 18 years old and my job will be going to college starting in September.

I also collect banknotes from the entire world.

Regards
I am also 18. No job yet. Attending college right now.

Well except collecting coins I like to read good fiction supernatural themed novels, watch movies. And I also collect several small useless things like matchboxes, postcards, stamps etc; but not as serious as coins.

Interesting thing is all the youngsters are only replying to this thread.  8)
find me in facebook
www.facebook.com/akash.drogunks
Quote: SmartOneKgI'm a 16 year old Japanese kid who has AP classes as a job. Yeah it's depressing, but at least it's not soda pressing.
:D Punny! - couldn't resist, could you?
OK Akash7, I'll bite! I was 18 - 33 yrs ago, woodworking, birdwatching - nope, I do not collect coins with birds on them :D
I'm 37, so I consider myself a youngster.  8)  
I work as a registered nurse. Besides coin collecting, I enjoy reading non-fiction books and playing board games with my family.
I don't send via registered mail with very few exceptions. My swap list is for sale.
14 years old, fanatic coin and beer coaster collector and no job for the moment. Just a pupil who hates school  B)

Greetings, Lotus07
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
I am 31, and I'm a naval architect by profession. Naval Architect is a fancy way of saying ship designer.  I am also an amateur librarian.

My other hobbies include bicycling, scuba diving, kayaking, geocaching, bocce, and badminton.  I play and design boardgames, make candles, and survey shipwrecks. I also collect books, 78rpm records, and lapel pins of places I visit.
Age 73  Retired truck, bus, and auto mechanic. Started into world coins, when I inherited my brother's small collection, somewhere over 1500 coins. Other interests amateur astronomy and trying to figure out how far and in what direction to go with coins. I read the forums daily, and this is my first post.  

Koin72
Always remember, No matter where you go, there you are.
Quote: Koin72I read the forums daily, and this is my first post.
Welcome to the forum, Koin72, and thanks for sharing - it's good to finally hear from you :)
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Coin catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England, United Kingdom, New Zealand & Pre-Union South Africa
Banknote catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom
I am 20 years old, I have worked as a barman and waiter for 2 and a half years but will be leaving my job to go to university next month (yay!)

I play the trumpet to quite a high standard but hope to improve considerably in my 3 years of study at the University of Southampton, starting next month.

I have also been known to compose a bit, but I also love listening to a diverse range of musical periods and genres.

Coin collecting is my 2nd favourite hobby after my music.

I also have a small bank note collection, though I do not know much about them or their worth. Same for stamps, I have a couple of carrier bags full of stamps and half filled stamp albums with some of them being really quite old, but again, I know nothing much about them or their value, I just like having them lol
Yea coins are my 2nd fav, cars always have and will be my first I just hope when I'm older I can affOrd a lotus Carlton ! Currently in the process of fitting a supercharger to a 2.5 v6 which is slow progress haha !

MAY SWAP FOR DURHAM AND NORTHUMBERLAND CONDER TOKENS OR OLD GIBRALTAR QUART COINS/ TOKENS
I am 42, work at the firebrigade. I also have a sea aquarium and like to play tennis and cycle.
I am 34. And work as maintenance planning enginner at an oil refinery. I like to study about photography and to watch motorsports. I want to build a Lotus 7 replica in the future.
Quote: SmartOneKgI'm a 16 year old Japanese kid who has AP classes as a job.
AP? You should try IB. I'm 15 and along with my very academic (  ;(  ) private school I am also a competitive swimmer who trains 9 times a week. It sucks.
Coin collecting is my only time of relaxation  :(

But I'm impressed at how many teens there are. None of my friends collect coins and when I go to coin shows in Canada they are dominated by people 50 years my senior
Numista referee for Canada and Estonia.
I'm 28. Coin shows in London are still dominated by people 50 years older than me!
I am a Primary School Teacher and enjoy listening to music, watching films, and fencing. I have just qualified as a Level 2 foil coach! :wiz:
Quote: eminemBut I'm impressed at how many teens there are. None of my friends collect coins and when I go to coin shows in Canada they are dominated by people 50 years my senior
There are quite a few teen coin collectors. Recently I introduced my friend to Numista and he's just a year older than I am. Coin collecting is a good investment, especially at our age when the dollar inflates and the values of the coins remains the same.

Quote: bam777I am a Primary School Teacher and enjoy listening to music, watching films, and fencing.
Who doesn't like music and films? Teachers are some of the best people in our lives because they raise us and help us. And they're funny too. I actually want to become an English teacher in Japan so that way students can pronounce their Ls correctly, but I also want to major in marketing and economics at CalState Long Beach, although my dream school is UC Davis.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

I'm 56 and I dominate coin shows.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Brilliant. I was awaiting a witty comment on the coin show front. Thanks for that, Phil!
Quote: SmartOneKgCoin collecting is a good investment, especially at our age when the dollar inflates and the values of the coins remains the same.
yeah thats the only way that I can justify spending so much money on coins-- that unlike clothes, cars, video games and alcohol, the value will (usually) remain rather than decrease with time
I'm 19 years old. I'm currently studying to become a bio-engineer, but I've also a job in a supermarket located in a neighbouring village.
My other hobbies includes: tracking euronotes, cycling, archery (very recently) and like many others listing to all sorts of music.
I´m 29 years old and a photographer working in a photo lab.

Besides collecting coins I like doing sports like table tennis, badminton, volleyball,...
reading, ...
I am 25, I own my own photography studio and work as a part time EMT on the side. I collect silver coins (as well as all others, mostly silver to leave for my daughter someday) and medieval arms and armor.  
I'm a 21 year old barista (where i actually get most of my coins!) currently studying archaeology in university.

I've worked at a small coffee shop for around 4 years and I started to notice all these foreign coins accumulating in the tip jar or mixed in (mistakenly) in the register. After about two years I started taking them home, and now I've got a small but pretty diverse collection. Wishing I would've snagged them up from the very beginning!
Rachelle
Canada
I'm 19 years old. I'm learning at the university. My hobbies playing football. I play a few teams. I am also a business owner
I'm 48 years old, but seriously collecting since the age of 6. Guess this puts me in the category "young collector who is now old"  :O

I work as an IT-consultant, usually coordinating/managing the testing of software-implementations in financial institutions: I love money from a professional perspective as well.
Other hobbies: travelling with my family, reading (non-fiction), music (Dutch singer-songwriters & classical).
I'm 19 years old, studying mathematics. One of my favourite other hobbies is postcrossing, amongst bicycling, reading and so on.

I didn't expect so many of my age here!  :D
Quote: frleonI didn't expect so many of my age here!  :D
Neither me. :) Happy to see so many teenagers.
find me in facebook
www.facebook.com/akash.drogunks
HEY ! I'm twen-teen two ! Lol

Hi - I'm 22 years old, been in the army for 6 years, and made a collection of every UK £2 coin.

Spend most of my time on eBay buying and selling
Wow, at 33 I didn't think I'd be older than about 80% of the people that answered.

I work at our local city council in the historic records department.

I used to collect stamps but not any more, I've been collecting coins for about a year and a half and I also play tennis, badminton, I hunt and hike, play with my kids and read a lot.
Hello!

I'm 15 years old. Currently attending school. Really love coin collecting. Through this I learn more about a nation's history. I am a teen who wants to learn and loves to learn different things. Too bad some things are not possible in our country. Because of so many teens here who collect coins too, I was encouraged to reveal my age and other stuffs. Just hoping that this won't change the way Numista greeted me and welcomed when I first came here. :O

Best Regards,
Collin  :8D
Best Regards,
Collin
It's quite reassuring to see so many young collectors, this speaks well for the future.

I can't help but notice coin and I would guess stamp collectors tend to be the professionals and skilled tradesmen with a little more disposable income.  I hope those Occupy Wall Street proles don't start targetting us!

Phil Nightingale

Retired IT God who collects coins, money boxes, old share certificates, stamps and guns, lots of guns.
56years young an like an coins
james
Quote: collin26Just hoping that this won't change the way Numista greeted me and welcomed when I first came here. :O
It seems to me, collin26, that quite the opposite is true. After reading and writing on this forum for the last year and a half the impression I get, which is backed up by Phil's post above, is that the older generation of collectors here are greatly encouraged by the large number of teenage and twenty-something enthusiasts that are not just collecting but taking an active part in the forum and even volunteering on the team. Good luck to you all :D

Coin catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England, United Kingdom, New Zealand & Pre-Union South Africa
Hi - I am 50 years old and a widower, bitten by the coin collecting bug when I was about 10 or so; and stamps not so much now. I collect paper too. Like to go on walk and try to take pic of deer. I am very boring. I make springs normally .375 to .675 of an inch wire; most weigh around 5 - 10 lbs. But have made 5 inch dia over 4 feet long and weighing 120 lbs. Work is crazy - this is the 3rd week this year I am not working overtime. Springs are everywhere.
 But I like to try to keep value out of my coin collection and do it for the fun of it. Yes it has a value and it well go up in value. I see coin being very different in 10 to 20 years if they're still here; I hope they're still around. And I do collect unc and silver coins as an investment. But that is not my collection. I like to keep my collection just for fun. Good things come to those who are good. Yes I know good guy end in last, but I like to think they have better lives. The year my wife died I got my oldest coin as changes. It was a 1908 v-nickel and 101 years old when I got it in changes. It's not in very good shape; but I'll keep it forever.
It is, what it is.
I hope they do as well Phil; keep you Yankee doodles out of my cheap coin market ;)

Oh I am also very surprised by the age of the many I have met ! But then I assumed most collectors would be around my dads age (51) and older and he as with alot of people I know of that age group don't use the computer etc, so I guess that has alot too do with it aswel ! It's a great hobby for all age groups and is something I will set my own kids away with :) I honestly never thought I would be this interested in them again, it makes me wish I went the other way after school and did a history degree rather than a manual skilled job that I'm not healthy enough to do anymore !

If you're looking for an old person's hobby,

Look at stamp collecting. I'm one of few here who collects stamps.
Kenny

Quote: pnightingaleI'm 56 and I dominate coin shows.
HAHAHA. Nice.

I'm 34. A truck driver and I also collect banknotes.
hello,

i am 14 years old and school is my job :P. i primarily collect numismatics but i am also a semi professional pianist, to a lesser extent i collected rocks and i like to help ppl get into coins and/or help them with identification. i also like antiques - particularly ceramics and clayware. i would really like to know ppl around me who are also crazy coin collectors. as for coins, i've been collecting since 4, i collect on the go, if its good i take it (unless its a not so intresting circ or one i have loads of). but my focus is still north american and oriental, i also like deutsche notgeld in papier. nice to meet you all!
University is time consuming, cherish your free time!

Honi soit qui mal y pense.
hey SmartOne
 do you need some kingdom of Hawaii stamps - I have 5 or 10 of them looking for a good home.
        yours daryl
It is, what it is.
Quote: 15turtleshello,

i am 14 years old and school is my job :P. i primarily collect numismatics but i am also a semi professional pianist, to a lesser extent i collected rocks and i like to help ppl get into coins and/or help them with identification. i also like antiques - particularly ceramics and clayware. i would really like to know ppl around me who are also crazy coin collectors. as for coins, i've been collecting since 4, i collect on the go, if its good i take it (unless its a not so intresting circ or one i have loads of). but my focus is still north american and oriental, i also like deutsche notgeld in papier. nice to meet you all!
Waw, you have a very nice collection! :8D
lol thxx.

i take it you are swedish? (your username) can you help me with a swedish coin? its 1435-1935 (1935) 5 kroner with the inscription sveriges (swedish)*riksdag (?)

and a face on the back, i do not know anyting else about it.

:D

Quote: 15turtlescan you help me with a swedish coin? its 1435-1935 (1935) 5 kroner with the inscription sveriges (swedish)*riksdag (?) and a face on the back, i do not know anyting else about it.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces12993.html
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
0.0 kk thx

I'm 16, and I don't have a job yet, so I focus in studying, playing the piano, improving my English skills and, obviously, COLLECTING COINS!  :8D
As eminem said, I don't have any partner with my same age who collects as much as I do, though I know one of my same age with the same feelings for coins I express but we are distanced :/
I hope more teens get encouraged to collect coins!
I am 31. I found my first coin in a parking lot when I was 6. I only learned about swapping 2 years ago, it's a lot of fun, even with some lost packages and shipping costs being high.
  I am a roofing contractor for flat roofs. I also do copper art and blacksmithing, www.redsmithstudios.com
  I have too many hobbies for a complete list and as my daughter is almost one, all my hobbies have slowed down, but include mountain hiking and backpacking, the study of flora and fauna, how to survive in the woods, swing dancing, guns and shooting, history study and re-enacting (American revolution), free diving, teaching kids stuff, and if I were rich I would drop all this and just travel.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Quote: Mark240590I hope they do as well Phil; keep you Yankee doodles out of my cheap coin market ;)
No Yankees in the Nightingale household, Rebel to the bone. I wish the Confederacy coins were less expensive :(
Quote: 15turtleslol thxx.

i take it you are swedish?
No, I'm Belgian but I love the country very much and speak Swedish a bit (enough to order a cup of coffee for example).

Quote: 15turtlescan you help me with a swedish coin? its 1435-1935 (1935) 5 kroner with the inscription sveriges (swedish)*riksdag (?)

That's quite a nice piece to have! I see you've got all the information you need from ZacUK. The only thing I can still add is that it's silver content is one of the highest you can find in Swedish numismatics.
im 42 old

im painter and jewerly designer and maker :)
summer is my time for making a lot of money:))
other hobbies? hmmmm
fishing,music,playing gituar,evenings with beatyfull foreign girls:P
rock n roll of course :)
rock n roll stop the traffic
http://stores.ebay.com/uemkartcollectibles
Hi all,

I'm 30 years old.

I'm an electrical engineer, working at HV/MV substations.
My hobbies are photography and coins. :) lots of them.  <:D
I like to travel too, and I love music.

Regards
HR
Carpe Diem - HR
Quote: Kräftskiva
Quote: 15turtleslol thxx.

i take it you are swedish?
No, I'm Belgian but I love the country very much and speak Swedish a bit (enough to order a cup of coffee for example).

Quote: 15turtlescan you help me with a swedish coin? its 1435-1935 (1935) 5 kroner with the inscription sveriges (swedish)*riksdag (?)

That's quite a nice piece to have! I see you've got all the information you need from ZacUK. The only thing I can still add is that it's silver content is one of the highest you can find in Swedish numismatics.
d'accord, tu est un person de belgie et t aime le suede... le content de l'argent c combien dans le 5 kroner suede? merci...  :D

I'm 20 years old.
In engineering university 3rd year.
I like to travel a lot, cycling, history and geography, collecting coins and banknotes.
 :)
It's nice to know there is so many young members in the hobby, I went to a local hobby shop last week and it's an older fella my mother knows he identified my 1888 6 pence when I was a kid that I had ruined through cleaning and polishing it :O (I only clean coins with electrolysis now if they are poor condition and worthless)
And he said that years ago there was alot of young people in the hobby but due to play stations and other things they have lost interest, now I must admit I followed the same path but I am now back on it and it's very therapeutic IMO it takes my mind off all the pain I am in ! It's sad because other than a few worthless coins he had nothing but model aeroplanes and a few air rifles such a shame !

Hello - I'm 26 and decided to go back to college to do joinery, which starts end of September. My hobbies are coins, metal detecting, eBay shop, and history (mainly wars/empires etc).
Joinery ? Your keen industry is crippled ! I've just applied for funding to do my HGV class 2

47 years old. Lost my 2 legs in Afghanistan 4 years ago.
Spends most of my time fighting the government for medical benefits.
If I had lost my legs 2 years earlier, my benifits would have been almost double what it is now.
Secretly, our government cut the benifits to injured soldiers by over 40% while we were in Afghanistan.
I was in the military for nearly 25 years ... all my adult life. I gave a lot for my country.
Fighting in Afghanistan was easier than fighting our own government for basic medical benefits.
god bless you for serving the country. best of luck with your fight of medical benefits  ;)

Quote: 15turtlesgod bless you for serving the country. best of luck with your fight of medical benefits  ;)
Thank you!
23 year old student. Other hobbies are soccer and rugby. Anyone know of circulating world coins featuring these sports? :)
Trying to get a coin from each UN country with circulating coins. 20 to go!
I am 47 years old. I spent 25 years in the military. I had to retire 4 years ago because of an explosion in Afghanistan where I lost both legs above the knees along with other injuries. I struggle everyday because of my pension does not cover my expenses. Dealing with coins helps keep me sane ..... sometimes. However, I have had to sell all my valuable coins to survive.
Quote: coinsoldierI am 47 years old. I spent 25 years in the military. I had to retire 4 years ago because of an explosion in Afghanistan where I lost both legs above the knees along with other injuries. I struggle everyday because of my pension does not cover my expenses. Dealing with coins helps keep me sane ..... sometimes. However, I have had to sell all my valuable coins to survive.
james
Quote: jamser8923 years old and PhD in criminology and law student. Other hobbies are soccer and rugby. Anyone know of circulating world coins featuring these sports? :)
james
There's loads,
London 2012 50 pence : the offside rule
Two pounds 1999: rugby World Cup
l200&500 1989 commemorative of italia '90 just to name a few.[list]

Quote: james wolfe:)
Quote: jamser8923 years old and PhD in criminology and law student. Other hobbies are soccer and rugby. Anyone know of circulating world coins featuring these sports? :)
James, Do you have the 2012 Canada $1.00 coin 100th Anniversary of the Grey Cup .... Canadian Football League?

I'm a 34 year old district manager for a service company in an oil & gas industry.  I got my 1st few coins when I was 16 & have been collecting them off & on since but didn't get more dedicated until few years ago.  I also enjoy collecting paper notes, UFC cards, photography & fishing but don't have nearly as much time as I wish I did to dedicate myself to my hobbies.  Does anyone know if there's a site similar to this for paper notes?  
One persons change is another persons hobby :)
Quote: petralexI'm a 34 year old district manager for a service company in an oil & gas industry.  I got my 1st few coins when I was 16 & have been collecting them off & on since but didn't get more dedicated until few years ago.  I also enjoy collecting paper notes, UFC cards, photography & fishing but don't have nearly as much time as I wish I did to dedicate myself to my hobbies.  Does anyone know if there's a site similar to this for paper notes?
http://worldbanknotegallery.com/
Hi - I'm 45 and burnt myself out with a middle management job in transport a few years ago. I'm now a courier driver.
I like music, sport, fishing, reading and helping out running an animal rescue (Mainly Hedgehogs) from home with my wife. I'm also a landscaper and enjoy landscaping and renovating our little home that was an absolute shambles when we bought it.

Coins and banknotes are what occupy a lot of my time and I'd wish I'd found this hobby years ago.

Funny story... my stepfather used to collect coins and because I was none the wiser back then... I used to use/steal some of his coins that he used to keep in a wooden box (dare I say it) to play gaming machines back in the early eighties.   z|  
I remember some of them to be quite attractive and I still cringe every time that thought enters my head.
 x.

Lysdexic1
Thanks pnightingale, now I'm excited to go home & view it on my computer (I'm writing this from my iPhone). If it's half as good as Numista I'm going to have a long busy night ahead of me. :)  
Thanks again.
Quote: petralexThanks pnightingale, now I'm excited to go home & view it on my computer (I'm writing this from my iPhone). If it's half as good as Numista I'm going to have a long busy night ahead of me. :)  
Thanks again.
You are welcome, fellow collector. I would be curious to know how you find it. I don't have many banknotes but I guess it's time to start cataloging them however I'm told the WCG is not very user-friendly.
Worldbanknotegallery is OK at best, but after using Numista for coins that site comes off very plain. While it allows you to select your notes quickly, it doesn't have options for quantity, rating & image is only a pop up when you hover over the line item with your mouse. I guess you can say I've been spoiled by the quality Numista offers. :)  Needless to say I'm still giving it a try until something more user-friendly comes along anyway.
IM 30! Im geography teacher i love to travel (love to know about countries) and trekking, and mountains, and beach; and collecting banknotes, postcards and coins...
HI! Lets swap??
Common for common, silver for silver
Swap banknotes too
I'm 14, I mow the lawn and do other chores to procure funds, although school could also be considered my job, and my other hobbies include collecting bottles, bottle caps, stamps, and bills.
19, just finished IB with a 42, but can't apply for universities because I have 2 years of compulsory military service to complete. Worked as a cashier for a month, now just waiting for my letter. My other hobbies includes historiography, East Asian history, opera, Mahler and classic rock.
Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras
I'm 35 (but look much younger), working in IT banking.

Hobbies come and go, besides collecting coins, I enjoy photography, travel and financial markets.

Have a young toddler, so most of my free time is spent with family.  Oh, and I'm making my first trip to Europe in March next year, looking forward to adding to my coin collection.
I'm turning a year on October 26..

Well, Happy birthday to me!
Best Regards,
Collin
I'm 43 years olde.. Been an Electrician going on 24 yrs or so..  I've been fascinated with collecting and been doing that, on and off, since I was a young ladd in the late 70s. I also used to collect stamps & world paper currency in the 80s. Don't remember what the heck my hobbies were after the 90s, oh yeah I got married :°  Then I tried metal detecting, tropical fish, building and fixing computers, and hmm, I've had many hobbies come and go, but I always return to coin collecting.. I'm also pretty handy so I enjoy working on stuff and fixing things when they break.  8)  Other than that I'm just an all around internet junkie and T.V. couch potato.  
So many coins... So little time...
Quote: fliegendehollander19, just finished IB with a 42
Wow nice job-- thats insane! got any notes?  ;)  HL biology is destroying me slowly haha I would be overjoyed with 6's in everything

and Collin: my birthday is only two days after yours; happy early birthday!
I'm 21 years old, Moroccan student, got my associate's degree in Marketing, have been in some internships now I'm back to school working on my bachelor degree, I liked to collect coins since an early age, mostly Moroccan and French coins, the first ones were gifts from my mother and grandmother, in elementary school age it was a competition game with my cousins at the beginning now most of them give up on the hobby, and so far I have 500+ coins which in majority I got them from others,...so basically my collection is built with the help of people around me knowing my interest in coins. I also collect banknotes, stamps and metal keys :)
Ahmed
Quote: eminemand Collin: my birthday is only two days after yours; happy early birthday!
Thanks! Happy birthday to the two of us! :O
Best Regards,
Collin
i wasnt expecting such a high response to this topic ha ! nice too see the community spirit, happy birthday to us all !!!! (8

Ok, since now nearly everyone else have presented themselves already... I'm a 34 years old servicedesk technician, which means I answer the phone and answer questions like "I can't log in, could it be because my account was disabled last month?".  :)

Actually it's not such a bad job. But when I have a moment, I like the coin collecting because it's quiet, relaxing, totally useless and most of all - completely analogue! Well, that is, when I'm not browsing this site of course which is kinda digital.

Since I have a few kids around, there is no time for any other hobbies, so this is it.
Quote: pileborgOk, since now nearly everyone else have presented themselves already... I'm a 34 years old servicedesk technician, which means I answer the phone and answer questions like "I can't log in, could it be because my account was disabled last month?".  :)

Actually it's not such a bad job. But when I have a moment, I like the coin collecting because it's quiet, relaxing, totally useless and most of all - completely analogue! Well, that is, when I'm not browsing this site of course which is kinda digital.

Since I have a few kids around, there is no time for any other hobbies, so this is it.
I did 4 years on a service desk and it's a wonder I am still sane.

"Hello, my computer is making grinding noises and smoking, what should I do?"

"Reboot, then call me back"

"Hi, I've rebooted and now the case is melting"

"Turn it off, go for lunch. Then turn it back on again, it should be just fine"

"Wow, thanks you are a genius"

"I know"
I'm on my 13:th year.
Quote: pnightingale
Quote: pileborgOk, since now nearly everyone else have presented themselves already... I'm a 34 years old servicedesk technician, which means I answer the phone and answer questions like "I can't log in, could it be because my account was disabled last month?".  :)

I did 4 years on a service desk and it's a wonder I am still sane.

"Hello, my computer is making grinding noises and smoking, what should I do?"

"Reboot, then call me back"

"Hi, I've rebooted and now the case is melting"

"Turn it off, go for lunch. Then turn it back on again, it should be just fine"

"Wow, thanks you are a genius"

"I know"
:O  :O  :O
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
HI,
I am 40 years young, working with Pharmaceutical Company, my hobbies are coins, notes, stamps, ink pens and daggers.

I inherited the collection from my dad of coins and stamps, since last few years pumped in my way to go global and finish the theme of one stamp, one coin, one note of all the countries in the world. So far so good.  :)
Quote: Dr. MathI'm 14, I mow the lawn and do other chores to procure funds, although school could also be considered my job, and my other hobbies include collecting bottles, bottle caps, stamps, and bills.
  I used to collect bottles as well; I still have some ...

For those that do not know, the 'torpedo' shape is called a Hamilton, and the one to the left of it is called a Codd. Kids used to break them to get at the glass marble inside.
   The Hamilton was designed to lie on the side so the cork would always be wet from the bottle liquid and so would not dry out. The Codd (from which also the expresssion "Codd's Wallop" came) was opened with a wooden plunger, which pushed the marble down from the rubber seal at the top, and located it in the indentation a few inches down. The bottle on the right also has a marble, but the indentations are right at the base, for some reason. I still have somewhere (maybe in parents house) a Warner's Safe Cure; the larger size, and I had (before it got smashed) the smaller size one as well.
   The rarer Codd and Hamilton bottles had coloured glass, like blue or red, for ease of identification I guess, or some just had a coloured lip at the top. Apparently to make red glass there was gold added - I would have though the glass would turn yellow, but no it turns red; though I guess other things could also make glass red. Anyway, that'll do for now.  :Zz:
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
Quote: ZacUK
Quote: Dr. MathI'm 14, I mow the lawn and do other chores to procure funds, although school could also be considered my job, and my other hobbies include collecting bottles, bottle caps, stamps, and bills.
  I used to collect bottles as well; I still have some ...

For those that do not know, the 'torpedo' shape is called a Hamilton, and the one to the left of it is called a Codd. Kids used to break them to get at the glass marble inside.
   The Hamilton was designed to lie on the side so the cork would always be wet from the bottle liquid and so would not dry out. The Codd (from which also the expresssion "Codd's Wallop" came) was opened with a wooden plunger, which pushed the marble down from the rubber seal at the top, and located it in the indentation a few inches down. The bottle on the right also has a marble, but the indentations are right at the base, for some reason. I still have somewhere (maybe in parents house) a Warner's Safe Cure; the larger size, and I had (before it got smashed) the smaller size one as well.
   The rarer Codd and Hamilton bottles had coloured glass, like blue or red, for ease of identification I guess, or some just had a coloured lip at the top. Apparently to make red glass there was gold added - I would have though the glass would turn yellow, but no it turns red; though I guess other things could also make glass red. Anyway, that'll do for now.  :Zz:
That's pretty cool! I'm kind of new to bottle collecting and I only have a few older ones in my collection. Maybe I'll start up a new conversation for bottle collecting so I can show some pictures of my bottles.
Quote: ZacUK

...and the one to the left of it is called a Codd. Kids used to break them to get at the glass marble inside.
Reminds me of Ramune, a Japanese soda with the little glass marble.

Makes me think what I'm gonna keep and what I'm gonna toss when I get older. There's so much to life.
Kenny

The only bottles I have are both unopened bottles of Newcastle brown ale one commemorating Alan Shearer's testimonial and the other.. The tall ships have been tempted to flog the latter however the testimonial one will never leave my possession !

I am 29 and a statistician. I calculate math, swing dance and use the shiny golden dollar coins to impress the cute barista in the coffee shop. I also collect maps.
Hello.

My name is Pedro Menezes and I'm from Portugal and I work in a Industry of paper.
I have 31 years .

I'm a strong collector of Portuguese coins but I also collect coins from the world .... at the moment I have coins from 71 countries and I want more :D

If anyone likes Portuguese coins I would like change.

Sorry my English - please correct my right.
Welcome ! I love Portugal.. I went to albufeira in 2011, it was my first holiday and I loved it its a truly beautiful place especially when you head out towards loule

Quote: Mark240590Welcome ! I love Portugal.. I went to albufeira in 2011, it was my first holiday and I loved it its a truly beautiful place especially when you head out towards loule

Thanks....ALGARVE  is on of many beautiful place in portugal.
unfortunately i never go to England  but my dream is fly too any capital of europe.
yeah we are going with another couple again next year but i dont know whether to go back to albufeira or maybe go to paria d rocha (excuse the spelling) as last year we went to seville on a day trip i would like to go to lisbon !

I'm 25 studying international business in London. Im half French and half German but lived all my life in Germany. I started collecting coins only about 2 years ago but I've always been a collector for many things, from antiques to militaria - just the whole lot  :) (no weapons or ammunition though that's not my thing and the German government doesn´t really appreciate it). My hobbies are travelling, fishing, scuba diving, treasure hunting (metal detector), and of course finding bargains and collecting. I mostly collect 19th century coins especially of the Swiss cantons, Italian States and colonial coins, I am also more about quality and rarity rather than quantity.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
I´m 37, a mother of 6 children and a wife of a husband that collects anything (empty biscuit boxes, old shoes and 80s music)
I love Art. Fortunately I do not need to buy it - I did paint for a coupple of years during some frantic time in my life. I´m also a member of Goodreads. I write, sing, bake and whine about politics sometimes and recently I picked up my old childhood collecting of coins.
Coins fascinate me, as they are small pieces of Art and they teach me history better than any school did.
I'm suprised you have time to do anything with 6 sprogs ! My mother has her hands full with just me ! Good job my brother's no problem at all... Lol !

Quote: Mark240590I'm suprised you have time to do anything with 6 sprogs ! My mother has her hands full with just me ! Good job my brother's no problem at all... Lol !

Yes, sometimes it´s a little bit busy around here  :O  but when the kids are away in school and kindergarten, then it´s just me and a toddler, and I get an opportunity to look at my coins.
I'm 47, I'm VP at a Chemical manufacturing company in Charlotte, NC..fancy title for a "Soapsmith", but I've been doing this for 26 years and still enjoy it.

I moved to "Dixie" from Germany in 1982 at the age of 17 and raised 4 good kids who don't understand this new coin hobby their PAPA is into........my daughters are glad and say it's safer than guns and motorcycles, which btw I'm not giving up riding and shooting.  X-D

I am new to Coin collecting, but grown fond of it since I started little less than a year ago, my other hobbies include collecting Matchbooks and Matchcovers, Beerdeckel (Beermats) and Guns.
My favorite hobby is going to Auctions, any kind of Auctions...Cars, Guns, Tools, Farm, large equipment auctions, food auctions....etc. NO Storage auctions...one man's junk is hardly ever another man's treasure!!

Ya'll come on over, we'll have a cold one, a little shine and talk about stuff.................
*      Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison
The avatar is not really me, its my great grandfather.....
Quote: auctionking65Ya'll come on over, we'll have a cold one, a little shine and talk about stuff.................
I love that Numista has comments like this...thanks auctionking65 for introducing yourself and putting out an invite.
No problem....bam777, that's how we do it in the "Land of cotton"
*      Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison
The avatar is not really me, its my great grandfather.....
Quote: bam777
Quote: auctionking65Ya'll come on over, we'll have a cold one, a little shine and talk about stuff.................
I love that Numista has comments like this...thanks auctionking65 for introducing yourself and putting out an invite.
My kinda feller.

Deo Vindice brother.
Hi all,
My name is Michael and I'm from Poland. Now I'm 16 old and I go to high school. In the future I would prefer study sth with biology or chemistry, but not medicine (to hard for me). I collect coins for 3 years and stamps, phone cards for 1 year. It's all from me. If you've got some questions, please write. ;)

Regards.
Hi Everyone,

My name is Sven and I'm Estonian. 30 years young and I've been collecting coins since i was 10 years old. Working as technical support in refrigeration business but studied logistics in university before. I'm a hobby collector - usually I'm buying some bulks or coin lots and then searching them through and discovering new coins all the time - it is an activity where i can have time with myself. My goal is to have European 20th century coins by year and World coins by type. Never expect to accomplish it but it's good to have a big dream  :`

I've been Numista member almost 2 years now - but now became active and started to add all my coins couple of months ago. Still in process as it takes a lot of time.

Best Regards,

Sven
Quote: bam777
My kinda feller.

Deo Vindice brother.
james
Hi all I am 50, just began collecting coins even though was hoarding coins whenever I got them. I am a project manager in Honeywell. I also collect stamps and bank notes. I also like gardening and aquariums

My site is

Www://madhunag.tripod.com
V. Nagarajan
Hello,
I am Rui, I'm 36 years old and working in a management consulting company. Along seals yet, but will be to include in future exchanges. I love photography.

regards,
Abraço,
Rui Ferreira
I have lived long enough to see more evil than anyone's eyes should ever see.
Hello all, I'm 50 years old Treasury Manager. I'm responsible for cash and liquidity so I deal with money in my work and in my free time.  :P
I started coin collecting about 15 years ago. I have 3 children and they have many hobbies so I don't have much time for my coins. I play volley ball and geogaching is my hobby on summertime (we have snow in wintertime). I thought I'm quite young for collecting coins but now I have realized that there are many young collectors, cool like my children says.
Revive attack!
  +50 Points!
Well done sir
I still think that it serves a purpose for newbies which I posted when I was a newbie and it helped me integrate with people knowing what floats their boat so to speak etc !

Hi all. I'm 58, work as tire seller, family shop that was founded by my dad, who died last year. Also my brother and my son works there, so I used to say "they have me surrounded".

Formerly I started several collections, stamps, pens, matchboxes, beer cans, and so others. My hobby for years is computers; together with my son, and a few with my daughter; at home and store, about 50 computers passed by our hands.

I also like motorcycles, I was president of our National Motorcycling Federation, for 7 years, and later president of our National tire deales Association, for 5 years. Also I was director of tourneys on internet (Yahoo Games and Pogo), directing tournaments of dominoes, cribbage, gin, and a few more games; I was head TD (something like a manager) of a games league, for a couple years.

I started collecting coins, because when my dad died, he left lots of coins; not a collection, just an amount of them; mostly from our country, so I ordered and classified them, and started buying the missing ones. In about five months, I have all the common coins of my country, and the missing are the oldest, and the more expensive (silver and gold) (maybe it happens to someone else? :° ). So I decided to expand my range to world coins. My actual target is to have at least one coin of each country (139 so far), and my next target will be to have one of each kind of all South American countries (no matter year or variants).
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those who doesn't.

Referee coins & banknotes: Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Puerto Rico, coins: Brazil, Curaçao, Cayman Islands, Netherlands West Indies, Saint Eustatius, Sint Maarten
Quote: adanieluyHi all. I'm 58, work as tire seller, family shop that was founded by my dad, who died last year. Also my brother and my son works there, so I used to say "they have me surrounded".

Formerly I started several collections, stamps, pens, matchboxes, beer cans, and so others. my hobby for years is computers; together with my son, and a few with my daughter; at home and store, about 50 computers passed by our hands.

I also like motorcycles, I was president of our National Motorcycling Federation, for 7 years, and later president of our National tire deales Association, for 5 years. Also I was director of tourneys on internet (Yahoo Games and Pogo), directing tournaments of dominoes, cribbage, gin, and a few more games; I was head TD (something like a manager) of a games league, for a couple years.

I started collecting coins, because when my dad died, he left lots of coins; not a collection, just an amount of them; mostly from our country, so I ordered and classified them, and started buying the missing ones. In about five months, I have all the common coins of my country, and the missing are the oldest, and the more expensive (silver and gold) (maybe it happens to someone else? :° ). So I decided to expand my range to world coins. My actual target is to have at least one coin of each country (139 so far), and my next target will be to have one of each kind of all South American countries (no matter year or variants).
Welcome friend!
I wish you luck in your quest to collect all countries etc, as I too am in the process of doing.
Enjoy this great site.  :)
Hi everybody. I am 32 years old and I work as an electronic engineer. I live in Greece. I collect coins since I was 7 years old. I also like cycling and sharing my time having fun with my friends. I also enjoy dancing folklore dances from all around Greece, being in many traditional groups, since when I was a small kid.
Hello,
I'm Nuno, have 40 years old, I work in finantial services and I am also a TaeKwonDo teacher.
I'm from Lisbon, Portugal.
Also like playing with my children, going to heavy metal concerts, read a little bit, going to the beach... etc
Quote: Toupeirinho... going to heavy metal concerts...
How heavy?
Hi
My name is Don and I am 63  and retired (just plain tired) and have owned a stamp and coin shop in the 80's also a card and comic shop in the 90's and now looking after my son's webpage  www.trumpetgear.co.nz  in New Zealand while he lives in Vancouver.
At present I am doing more selling than collecting as I haven't found the right country or the right coins yet.
Having just acquired a new digital camera (Rebel T3 with a 90mm macro lens) and still learning how to use it (I am used to the old Asahi Pentax film cameras {did have the largest collection in the southern hemisphere}).

Cheers, Don <:D
Cheers Don
Hi Don and welcome to Numista!
I hope "Trade me" sales are going well  ;) .

This is a great place to share and gain knowledge. Sounds like you have plenty of knowledge to share.
Quote: Dr. Math
How heavy?
This year will be Rammstein, Iron Maiden and Moonspell
Quote: ToupeirinhoThis year will be Rammstein, Iron Maiden and Moonspell
You were supposed to say Osmium. But Rammstein is good too.
Quote: Toupeirinho
How heavy?
 up the irons !!!  X-D
james
I'm 47 - I work as an industrial painter mainly on seafaring vessels fitted with cable laying equipment, I also get involved with the fitting side. I first started collecting coins when I was given a small collection from my late grandfather. Other hobbies include collecting diecast model cars, building and repairing Nitro RC cars & trucks. I did use to repair TV's video and other electronic goods but don't bother anymore due to the fact it's just as cheap to replace nowadays. I also love visiting charity shops and flea markets, enjoy cycling, walking and camping when the weather's suitable ( not very often in the UK ). I will also be updating my painting certificate to the new ICATS standard very shortly ( new requirements ). When there is a shortage of painting contracts I fit  bathrooms and kitchens.
I'm 31, live in the western part of the Netherlands and work is a teacher in nature and environment-education, mainly for children between 4 and 12. Other hobbies include metal detecting (that's how I got into numismatics), entomology (mainly studying moths), taking care of dogs, organizing and visiting punk concerts and photography.
Hello my friends! I'm 58 years old. I have 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren. I am very happy Grandpa! I like to go for fishing, crosswords, puzzles and sudoku. June 25, 2013 I stop working and work just for fun! Very good wishes from me! Peter.

Hello everyone. I am 52 working to complete my BA in Psychology so I can go back to work in Social work for the second half of career.  The first half was spent between sales and management and raising my family. I have four adult children three adorkable grandchildren (not a misspelling). I have numerous hobbies sewing, cooking, painting ceramics, reading, biking, playing board games, etc... I just restarted collecting coins as my first collection was stolen years ago so it is a whole new ball game! Fun!
^OMG... First female coin collector i've seen before... (anyone else? awkward)

Welcome!

*Pop* Noice.
Welcome inbound7...don't get the boys all wound up! I don't want to have to moderate too much!
Quote: Inbound7

Hello everyone. I am 52 working to complete my BA in Psychology so I can go back to work in Social work for the second half of career.  The first half was spent between sales and management and raising my family. I have four adult children three adorkable grandchildren (not a misspelling). I have numerous hobbies sewing, cooking, painting ceramics, reading, biking, playing board games, etc... I just restarted collecting coins as my first collection was stolen years ago so it is a whole new ball game! Fun!
I also have driven forklifts, Harleys, muscle cars, if that makes you guys feel better - just because I look like a 'girly girl' does not mean I can not hold my own!  
Quote: ToupeirinhoThis year will be Rammstein, Iron Maiden and Moonspell
You were supposed to say Osmium. But Rammstein is good too.
I really like Scandinavian power metal bands but they don't do any concerts in Portugal.
Quote: ToupeirinhoI really like Scandinavian power metal bands but they don't do any concerts in Portugal.
I'm really into S.O.A.D. right now. Wish they would put out some new stuff together sometime.
I am 18 years old. I am a senior in high school. I will be attending college in September. I want to be a chef someday. I love to cook complete meals including desert. My best friend is my golden retriever who is 8 years old. I am new to coin collecting since Christmas when my nana gave me my grandpa's coin collection of U.S. halves and quarters plus 4 silver dollars. My grandpa died in November 2012. I am trying to gain as much information about my coincollection in terms of grades and values. I also use to collect baseball cards, but have not done much with that during past 2 years. Andy
Quote: Inbound7

I also have driven forklifts, Harleys, muscle cars, if that makes you guys feel better - just because I look like a 'girly girl' does not mean I can not hold my own!
You seem cool. I am new to coin collecting.
Quote: AndyScottI am 18 years old. I am a senior in high school. I will be attending college in September. I want to be a chef someday. I love to cook complete meals including desert. My best friend is my golden retriever who is 8 years old. I am new to coin collecting since Christmas when my nana gave me my grandpa's coin collection of U.S. halves and quarters plus 4 silver dollars. My grandpa died in November 2012. I am trying to gain as much information about my coincollection in terms of grades and values. I also use to collect baseball cards, but have not done much with that during past 2 years. Andy
What about your girlfriend?
Quote: ToupeirinhoI really like Scandinavian power metal bands but they don't do any concerts in Portugal.
I'm really into S.O.A.D. right now. Wish they would put out some new stuff together sometime.
Good choice, but the albums of Stone Sour and Deftones are good too.
Quote: ToupeirinhoGood choice, but the albums of Stone Sour and Deftones are good too
I like Stone Sour too! Maybe I'll start a "Your favorite song?" or a "Your favorite band?" topic.
Quote: Dr. MathI like Stone Sour too! Maybe I'll start a "Your favorite song?" or a "Your favorite band?" topic.
A what topic? Did you put it up already? I don't think I noticed it.
Kenny

Quote: SmartOneKgA what topic? Did you put it up already? I don't think I noticed it.
Nope, not yet. Maybe I'll get around to it in the next few years.  :P
25 years old, jurist, an amateur librarian and lover of history and books. Every books.
Eendragt maakt magt
I am 29 years old Latvian located in UK, I am freelance IT specialist and illustrator, I started to collect coins when I was 6, but on age of 26 I sold all my coins (the feeling was like I am selling my own soul) to buy house and farmland (we have relatively cheap properties in Latvia). Now I am planning to restart my collection and I am sure- this is great place to do that.
silver addict Latvian
Hi All! I am 35 and from Odisha, India Currently in USA, Working as IT consultant. I was interested in coin from my childhood when my mother gave me a 1969 Indian 10 Rupee coin (Still my favorite). The hobby kind of took a back bench for a while until now, somehow came back to it. I like photography too in my leisure time. I used to collect stamps but not any more.  
Really happy to read through about all the people specially the young ones. Keep it up guys!!
“A man without a hobby is only half alive.”
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
I am turning 18 in 2 hours 24 minutes.  I love coin collecting and Sports mainly swimming and baseball.  I am going to college next year at The Citadel.
Give me a dozen men who are not afraid to die, and I'll accomplish what all the Generals & Admirals with all their Armies & Battleships cannot. -Otto Skorzeny the best special forces commander ever.
Quote: EdgarfiveI am turning 18 in 2 hours 24 minutes.  I love coin collecting and Sports mainly swimming and baseball.  I am going to college next year at The Citadel.
let me be the first to say Happy Birthday Edgar !!!  :wiz:
So many coins... So little time...
I will be 57 in 10 days time. Please PM me if you need my address to send presents. Coins, stamps, cigars, beer and dollar bills for lapdances are equally welcome.
Quote: pnightingaledollar bills for lapdances are equally welcome.
Bad boy...  :P  (8

I'm 14 and my job is school ( :~ ), since my budget for coins is small I don't have a lot of hobbies where I collect stuff through buying, but I collect old bottles and enjoy playing piano and learning German!  :)
"Give me a woman who loves beer, and I will conquer the world."-Kaiser Wilhelm I
Hi!

I am famous in French forum  B)  0:)
But maybe you've never heard of me! :o
I'm French, I'm 15 years old (16 tommorow) and I'm in school, I learn English and Italian.
My passion is... coins! I make a lot of work about, I have a lot of docs and I like to identify coins, what I do all days on the forum.
Ma boutique eBay : http://www.ebay.fr/sch/monephil_numista/m.html
L'ANRD : http://www.facebook.com/anrdgrenoble  -  http://a.n.r.d.free.fr/
Happy early birthday!!!!! My 18th was today
Give me a dozen men who are not afraid to die, and I'll accomplish what all the Generals & Admirals with all their Armies & Battleships cannot. -Otto Skorzeny the best special forces commander ever.
Félicitations Monéphil! Avez-vous un bon fête!

Quote: Todd98I'm 14 and my job is school ( :~ ), since my budget for coins is small I don't have a lot of hobbies where I collect stuff through buying, but I collect old bottles and enjoy playing piano and learning German!  :)
@Todd98,

Was niveau von klavier bist du? Öber mach du speile für spaß?

Quote: pnightingaleI will be 57 in 10 days time. Please PM me if you need my address to send presents. Coins, stamps, cigars, beer and dollar bills for lapdances are equally welcome.
Sounds like a man after my own heart, you could be my (slightly) older brother. I especially like the bit about beer, cigars & lapdances  :O

Ma boutique eBay : http://www.ebay.fr/sch/monephil_numista/m.html
L'ANRD : http://www.facebook.com/anrdgrenoble  -  http://a.n.r.d.free.fr/
Quote: 15turtles
Quote: Todd98I'm 14 and my job is school ( :~ ), since my budget for coins is small I don't have a lot of hobbies where I collect stuff through buying, but I collect old bottles and enjoy playing piano and learning German!  :)
@Todd98,

8~  

Sorry, but I have just started so to my embarrassment, I have no idea what you just said.  z)
"Give me a woman who loves beer, and I will conquer the world."-Kaiser Wilhelm I
Quote: Todd98
Quote: 15turtles
@Todd98,

8~  

Sorry, but I have just started so to my embarrassment, I have no idea what you just said.  z)
He was asking what grade of piano are you at or whether you just play for fun?
^lol thanks Bam   :°

Quote: 15turtles^lol thanks Bam   :°
Oh, ok  8) .

Though I have been playing for eight years, its mostly just for fun. Though I will play at recitals every once in awhile.
Nice!

I've been playing keyboard for 2 years and piano for nearly 6 years, i have just passed my level 10 (RCM) practical.

What style do you like to play? I prefer impressionist/classical.

Quote: 15turtlesNice!

I've been playing keyboard for 2 years and piano for nearly 6 years, i have just passed my level 10 (RCM) practical.

What style do you like to play? I prefer impressionist/classical.
I like classical music, but I also like playing modern songs on the piano.
Perhaps you could continue this via PM.
^ok

I'm a noob only 14 but I've been collecting for a year. I also collect antique comics and I have no job just spend most of the time practising with my choir for our FAMOUS worldwide shows that we do :D
"We all have Hitler in us, but we also have love and peace. So why not give peace a chance for once?"- John Lennon
I'm very suprised to see quite a lot of collectors from my age! (15 years)  :8D
-Plato
I just turned 18 and I am shocked at the amount of younger collectors like me on this site.  I think it is great that a lot of other teens and young adults are taking up this fun hobby!
Quite suprised as well.

35 years old anesthesiologist. Collecting world wide coins and have 2 stamp albums. :)
Also it's not a hobby but I am a part of a rescue team for help people who effected from disasters like earthquake. For that reason I love nature and human beings... I also like climbing, hiking, paragliding, and making a bit speed with my motorcycle...
And really happy to see young persons interests in coins.. we get together every Sunday with some friends who interests on collecting coins, banknotes, and stamps and some other stuffs, and I can say that I am the youngster there...
(sorry for my bad English)
i collect world wide coins.
Quote: coinsoldierI am 47 years old. I spent 25 years in the military. I had to retire 4 years ago because of an explosion in Afghanistan where I lost both legs above the knees along with other injuries. I struggle everyday because of my pension does not cover my expenses. Dealing with coins helps keep me sane ..... sometimes. However, I have had to sell all my valuable coins to survive.
Can I have your slippers?
I couldn't help but think of him when I read this: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/federal-court-gives-green-light-to-887-million-veterans-disability-deal/article10798395/

Now he has less to complain about  ;)
... but is he really a disabled veteran? He has been at various times an 80 year old man, an 18 year old boy and was even deceased for a while.

I don't know which of his roles is the real him or her, probably none of them, but I do know he is a thief and a liar.
I'm 30 and work in a dealership selling parts.  I really don't have a lot of other hobbies.  I enjoy working on my Mustang and going hiking and geocaching.  Other than that, I'm pretty much a home body.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away -- and barefoot."
Quote: pnightingale... but is he really a disabled veteran? He has been at various times an 80 year old man, an 18 year old boy and was even deceased for a while.

I don't know which of his roles is the real him or her, probably none of them, but I do know he is a thief and a liar.
oh don't worry I'm aware that he's probably just some loser but it still reminded me of him anyhow
I am 33, serving in the Marine Corps midway through my 2nd contract and a proud husband of a VERY patient woman with who has blessed me with two wonderful boys and a third on the way (not sure on the gender yet).  Aside from work, it's pretty much family time, fishing, hunting, or reading.   However, with the decreased down time coin collecting has skyrocketed to the #1 hobby as I can do it without having to leave the house (mailbox excluded.) ;)
I must say, from the short while that I have been on Numista I have really taken to the site!  It's by far the best and most interactive sites out there.
"Argentum et Aurum comparenda sunt."
Ben, Zak, Wally..... wake up.

Is there any way to merge this most excellent thread with the current similar one?
No. No way of merging them...sorry.
I'm 27. I'm unemployed as of right now for medical reasons. I also collect pins (although now pins are trendy so I kinda had to give that up -.-) and spend a LOT of time online. I am obsessed with The Sims 3, and I love to read and sing.
A six year Numista absence makes the heart grow fonder... ?
X-D
james
Well I see that are teens here so, I'm 30, and my other hobbies are collecting Star Wars related things; I'm a total geek on that. It's amazing to see teen here, none of my friends understand the coin collecting.
May The Force Be With You
Quote: pnightingaleI'm 56 and I dominate coin shows.
 Thanks Phil!  I'm 67 and I'll see you there!! :O  :O
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything
Quote: radrick007
Quote: collin26Just hoping that this won't change the way Numista greeted me and welcomed when I first came here. :O
It seems to me, collin26, that quite the opposite is true. After reading and writing on this forum for the last year and a half the impression I get, which is backed up by Phil's post above, is that the older generation of collectors here are greatly encouraged by the large number of teenage and twenty-something enthusiasts that are not just collecting but taking an active part in the forum and even volunteering on the team. Good luck to you all :D
 I'm with you! I've been collecting for almost 60 years and it's great to see all these young people interested (addicted? :O ) in a hobby I've loved most of my life. Nice to see that all these coins that I've preserved will someday belong to someone who appreciates them. 8)
Quote: 15turtlesgod bless you for serving the country. best of luck with your fight of medical benefits  ;)
  X2    Check with Wounded Warrior Project They may be able to assist you. 8)
How heavy?
:O  :O Somebody still listens to Iron Maiden??? :O  :O
Quote: crruisercharlie
How heavy?
:O  :O Somebody still listens to Iron Maiden??? :O  :O
I love me some Maiden! Though compared to today's heavy metal they almost seem like rock... though they still have the metal "vibe". Someone like Judas Priest, though, is DEFINITELY rock and roll compared to the metal out now. I remember when I heard him for the first time and saying to myself, "He was considered METAL?"
Im 35, I'm a Machine driver in a metal recycling company. in edishen to coins I also colect comics, colectebul figures, video games and the elemnts from the periodical table.
Quote: traser78Im 35, I'm a Machine driver in a metal recycling company. in edishen to coins I also colect comics, colectebul figures, video games and the elemnts from the periodical table.
That's quite cool. How many elements have you got so far?
I think im up to 60, of corse Im not going to get eny of  the raidioaktiv ones.
Tell me...are you storing gases? :wiz:
Quote: bam777Tell me...are you storing gases? :wiz:
Yes, I have gass samples in seald glass viles.
I bot them of this site http://www.smart-elements.com/
I just started to read this thread, post by post, until I realized that it was..a thousand posts! So I just scrolled to the bottom, hehe.

I am 25 years old, been collecting for about 5-8 years (don't know when I stopped "saving coins from travels" and began "collecting foreign coins". There's a thin line). Besides coins I also collect banknotes.  :wiz:

But except numismatics I don't like anything! Hah, well, not quite true. I love sports, all kinds (almost). When I was younger I played handball and tennis before I changed track and began to train some budo sports like judo and jyu-jyutsu. Now, I'm too lazy and too poor to train anything, hehe! (At least half of it is true). I also love to play board games, photography, travel and just having a good time. I am also a nerd coming to geography (I know all the flags of the world, all the countries and most of the capitals), I also enjoy to learn new languages, and I know about 20 different languages! Besides latin, I can read about 5 alphabets, but I still have a hard time to read Arabic and Hebrew.  (;0

Also, I wish there were coin shows where I live..  (;0
Coin referee for: American Samoa, Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Hawaii, Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Mali, Marshall Islands, Myanmar, North Korea, Pitcairn, Turks & Caicos Islands, Uzbekistan, Samoa, Somaliland, Tannu Tuva, Taiwan, Tajikistan
Oh right. I'm a student and have no job….and soon no money left..My girlfriend feeds me and earns all the money, hehehhee!!  (;0
Coin referee for: American Samoa, Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Hawaii, Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Mali, Marshall Islands, Myanmar, North Korea, Pitcairn, Turks & Caicos Islands, Uzbekistan, Samoa, Somaliland, Tannu Tuva, Taiwan, Tajikistan
I'm a 34 year old secondary school teacher.  I teach IB History, IB Psychology, and Japanese language.  I split my time between work in the Middle East and relaxation in Japan.  And I'm the proud dad to two not-yet-elementary-school daughters.

I've been collecting coins as a real hobby since 2007, and my wife is very patient with this hobby, because coins=money, unlike video games.
Quote: ngdawaOh right. I'm a student and have no job….and soon no money left..My girlfriend feeds me and earns all the money, hehehhee!!  (;0
Genius, pure genius.
Living the dream ! I have my own map. I'm now working at Nissan who have a good pension scheme and you can retire after it maxes out (33yr) so I will be 56. The plan is that we buy a house now over 20 year or 25 and she progresses in teaching and works her way up whilst I take my time and maybe get out of the grass roots production work. Then when I can retire she should be earning enough to easily keep us both !

Hi All!

I'm 55 but don't feel a day over 127  :O  (16 in my head tho'!! )

I live in the northern UK and work at a heavy foundry as a burner!

Here is what I do..

The last pic taken of me at work 15 years ago!!

The out of control 'tache has been made smaller now as it's gone grey!!  :°  though the hair is still the same and somehow hasn't gone grey!

Other hobbies include looking after my airgun collection of 100 Pistols and Rifles, trying to keep my Bonsai trees alive and healthy, looking at the stars, in fact I have too many hobbies to list   8~

John  :)  
I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure!!
So, have you tried smelting your own coins, John!?
Quote: bam777So, have you tried smelting your own coins, John!?
Ha ha ha!!

No but I used to make brass cannons and gun parts when work was slack!!

Can't do it now though as the management have had cameras installed everywhere  ;(  ;(

John  :)
I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure!!
26. I'm a civil engineer. Fond of mountain skiing.
I'm a 33 year old Historian / History teacher.

This is the reason I collect coins, and banknotes, they are little pieces of history.

Originally Dutch, but immigrated to Canada in 2008, also lived in England and Spain previously.

Besides everything relating to History, the movies I watch, the tv I watch and books that I read.
I love football (soccer) and Rugby.
Quote: ArnhemcoinI'm a 33 year old Historian / History teacher.

This is the reason I collect coins, and banknotes, they are little pieces of history.

Originally Dutch, but immigrated to Canada in 2008, also lived in England and Spain previously.

Besides everything relating to History, the movies I watch, the tv I watch and books that I read.
I love football (soccer) and Rugby.
Wow! This is the main reason why I collect coins. For history and preservation of their beauty. By the way, I'm 19 years old turning 20 tomorrow. :D  a business mgt. student. fomr PHL.
Collect and know the HISTORY of each coins.
Hi Guys,
I'm 44, living in Nottingham, UK. Working in I.T.
New to the forum, and relatively new to coin collecting, started a year or so ago, and have only just finished sorting through my bags of world coins!
Other hobbies would be art/sculpture, I suppose that's why I'm enjoying sorting through random coins, some of them are beautiful.
http://www.facebook.com/NumismaticsUK
I'm not an expert in any kind of coins, but I reckon I'm good at research and will do my best to help. Feel free to tell me my identifications/valuations/gradings are wrong. It's the only way I'll learn.
I'm 18, Dutch. Currently unemployed but will start military University is August. I frequently go to the gym
I am 13. Currenly focusing on academics

No professtion yet... :D

Like playing and like technology.

I think I am one of the youngest
I´m 52 years old I´m living in Albufeira, Algarve
I work in a rent a car
My second hobby is slotcars
I collect coin by type from all over the world.
I come from the land down under! Also 71 years of collecting.  I collect most things (1 wife, 1 Ex)  
also Ash trays, clocks, radios, cameras, stamps, badges, bank notes, cars, bicycles, and more. Great site and people.
35, Active Duty US Air Force Officer. I can't tell you what I do, because then I'd have to kill you. :)

My other hobbies include running, doing triathlons, alpine skiing, learning Russian, sci-fi, and collecting Star Wars items. And, I'm just getting back into watching Dr. Who.
I'm 21 years old, I started with a coin collecting about a year ago.

I will post a little story and why I collect coins. I started college on a osap loan and by the end of second semester I was strapped for cash and 300 dollars short for paying for my school loan so they kicked me out, after finding a looking for a job in toronto for a year with no luck and really in the whole for my and got kicked out of my parents house twice because I had no job I promised myself I would find something that will make me a lot of money and so that I don't have to work my whole life and earn nothing and I came across a old coin of my dad's that was worth about ten bucks and I thought to myself I found my calling "coins"
fast forward a year later I now have a job, I'm saving money for coins and will be paying off my loan soon.
and my big numismatic goal is to buy and sell a million dollar coin

my job is a shelf stocker at john's value mart and I'll be finding a new job soon!!

my hobbies include: reading, playing video games, watching anime, soon to be working out, cooking, metal detecting, coin collecting and I'll also try golfing in the summer B)
Hi all

I'm Frankie married with 3 kids from Sunderland uk
31 year old
Work as a stock investigator / stock controller / customer assistant
Hobbies fixing and repairing computers
Building motorbikes and now coin collecting
58 a few minutes ago.
Many happy returns, Phil.
Quote: pnightingale58 a few minutes ago.
Happy B'day

-------------

I'm surprised how many youngsters are here. I'm 22, studying accountancy at university. Don't have a job yet, but do some volunteer work in charity shops.

As well as collecting, I hike, travel, geocaching, photographing, etc.

Almost forgot, I love metal detecting too, and have a huge heap of old Roman coins/pins/thimbles, etc, etc
I'm 38, a Chartered Accountant by profession. My other hobbies are bungee jumping, reading, chess, cricket, and gathering educational degrees. :D

Two years ago I was sick (pissing blood), totally on bed. Getting real bored, I started going through my father's collection of coins, it was like a bulb popped in my head. After that day, I am collecting coins. (My wife has started accusing that coins have become my first wife).
Quote: gauagr. (My wife has started accusing that coins have become my first wife)
 This is when you know to take a break from coins and sit and listen to your wife. It's easy to do though, so many coins to find!
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Happy belated sir Phil !

I'm almost 25 years and I work as software developer but I love to collect coins and banknotes.  (8
Quote: Mark240590Just to get to know people better I thought this could be nice :) Don't put any fields in you're not comfortable with but ...

I'm 22, work as a plumbing and heating engineer and my other hobbies include modifying cars, rural walks with the girlfriend and mutt, and just doing things with friends.

I am 29, working as lab technician. My hobby, besides  coins collecting, is Japanese sword fencing (kendo), and playing video games with my girl friend
I am 16 years old, I live in the Netherlands and I am a freelance photographer for The Daily Telegraph, Newstalk and The Daily Business Post (Mainly for topics that are related to coins). I have been collecting coins since I was 5 years old, now almost 12 years ago. During my free time I search with my metal detector or I add/modify coins on here. I also collect stamps.

well iam 52 acted like my shoe size.I make springs
It is, what it is.
Hi there,
I am 37, a Math teacher by profession. Got into this hobby when I received change from a shop where the coin was having the head of mahatma Gandhi, father of nation of India. This happened when I was 12. Since then I used to collect whatever Indian commemorative coins that comes into my hand by chance. Got serious for the past two years and here I am. My dream is to have at least 300 countries, with 3000 coins in my collection before I do something else. Having stamp collection too - Nature / flora and fauna theme only.
Now, that you ask me, I am 48 today.
Happy Birthday to me :wiz:

Originally a mathematician, so I know that every natural number is a product of multiplications of prime numbers, so 48 is pretty boring. 2*2*2*2*3; looks like a female 3 flirting with 4 ambitious 2s... :D  ... not very ambitious, so I look forward to the next prime at 59!
Later, I get degrees in Islamic studies and Turkic and Arabic linguistics and history, which is largely ignored by the we-know-all Numista team; and then my PhD is in economics and specifically Knowledge Management, which I do most for my living; consulting companies on how to not forget what they already know...
Quote: imrehLater, I get degrees in Islamic studies and Turkic and Arabic linguistics and history, which is largely ignored by the we-know-all Numista team; and then my PhD is in economics and specifically Knowledge Management, which I do most for my living; consulting companies on how to not forget what they already know...
Not too bad for someone with the IQ of two carrots  ;)

Happy Birthday
Quote: neilithicNot too bad for someone with the IQ of two carrots  ;)
Happy Birthday
Thanks, Neil.
Now, in order to remain conversational on Numista, you really do not need much more than the IQ of 2 carrots: just need to learn patterns:

1) "we love you, Xavier";
2) "thanks for the team for doing a great job"
3) "it is great that you did not do anything in the last 11 months, hurray..."
4) "wonderful that you ignored all messages by members..."

... so you see I am adopting...
happiness wins!  :D
Happy Birthday, Imre.
You are starting to remind me of Oscar the Grouch...and I think that my "deliberate ass" comment really got to you.
Peace and tranquility for your Birthday. Imre, improvements will come, just be patient.
Quote: bam777improvements will come, just be patient.
Now, let me ask you: Do You believe your own words?
It is important for me to know...
Happy birthday Imreh!
Quote: bam777Happy Birthday, Imre.
You are starting to remind me of Oscar the Grouch...and I think that my "deliberate ass" comment really got to you.
Peace and tranquility for your Birthday. Imre, improvements will come, just be patient.
Thanks indeed to you, Phil and others!
They will come.
Quote: imreh
He just said they will come. I think it's safe to say he believes in his own words.

Think maybe we need to stop hijacking the thread with this stuff now?
Agreed, can we please stop the rants and stick to the topic under discussion
Quote: neilithicAgreed, can we please stop the rants and stick to the topic under discussion
Sure. I am 48+ by now  :D and still very happy.

btw, what happenned to coinsoldier, browsing through this thread he already has lost 8 legs in Afghanistan. Is he okay? :(
Quote: bam777Happy Birthday, Imre.
Yes, yes, although my trash-can is much more sizeable and comfy...  :D
... virtually it covers all those not-so-overly-happy-Numista-members-around-the-globe.
Hello everybody, i'm a 31 years old italian boy, actually living in Argentina... Italian teacher, wannabe professor, I love music, but coin collecting is my first and foremost passion...
Hi there to all from Nepal
I'm 24 and 2 months :)
I work in Concierge. Every year I would see new coin in the market and it would make me wonder what happened to the previous year coin. That's how I started keeping one of each year and then without knowing it turned into hobby. with coins I collect bank notes (+40 countries) as well, especially want to have all the coins of my country haha.  Other then that I love Traveling....
me 13, new in the teenage... :O
Of course no one would except a job from this sunny boy!

Coin collecting! Coin Collecting! and Coin Collecting.......!!!!

Just came in this hobby 6 months back......

Nothing like this!!!
13 years old strange boy here,
long way to go......!!!
It has been a while, I update my info.

I am 20 but will be 21 in a few months. I am in school full time studying to be a nurse (thats right a male nurse). I work part time repairing tv's and microwaves. Aside from collecting coins. I also collect banknotes, stamps and hand crafted items from all over the world (most have come from my travels).
I'm 24, I work full-time in an amusements arcade doing several duties. My favourite part of my job is working in the 'change desk' as I can view all sorts of British coinage that customers bring to me. This is how I begun to enjoy collecting coins from May 2013.
Apart from collecting coins, I like metal detecting in my local area, i like computer games, playing the odd bit of badminton in the Summer and I like driving to various places in my car.  :`
Wow, so manny teenagers.
I'm 28, teaching in the HBU/Jerusalem. Colecting scince age of 10. Other hobbys? mmm... I use to have but I can't remamber since the hobby of rasing 2 lovely doughters... :)
N.E. Yogev
25, I work in the General labour industry. I collect coins, Bank notes, Stamps, My other hobbies are Guitar, Photography, Metal Forging, Wood carving, Painting, Drawing.

I have actually too many hobbies to even list, but those are the main, I am like that Dos Equis dude, Very interesting, I have an abundance of random useless facts, and knowledge that serves nothing besides conversation interests.

Articulate in one word.
Check out my Coins for sale on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/ellmaric44278/m.html?item=231381585778&hash=item35df6acf72&pt=US_World_Coins&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
hello, dears

Im 38-year old   MD, working in  General Surgery, Oncosurgery, and Laparoscopy.  Also I working as  Senior  Surgical Cases Analyst   at the largest  Insurance Company  here in Georgia.  

I collect coins since  1984, - first - all world coins, but since  2002-2003 I  focused  on only  African coinage.   I love  african coins, as they are a mix of European  Numismatic Culture and  Native, African Beauty.  Any  changes in African countries  coinage is  a parallel of   country` history. And, history of Africa is such colorfull, as Africa  itself.

Regarding other hobbies - I love  instrumental JAZZ 1960 - today.  I play piano and guitar bit.   I love  Latinoamerican writers  ( Cortasar,Borkhes, Casares, Marquez  and many others)  .

ahh, -   I collect  small  ( 10-25 sm diameter ) wall-plates from  different  world places.

So, if you will have any  surgical questions,  - I will glad to   answer :)  

best regards,
and happy collecting !
David Miqeladze
Tbilisi, Georgia
Numista referee for  Georgia.  Also  for Belgian Congo, Congo free state, Katanga, Kenya, Ruanda-Burundi, Ruanda-Urundi, Seychelles
I'm 23. im doing accountacy

I go hunting, metal detecting, bowls, croquet, cricket, rugby, water skiing, cycling, hiking, geocaching.

Only been collecting 8 months.
I am 34. I am a golf cart mechanic. Other hobbies are running and golf.
I am 33 years old and live in Australia. I have only been collecting coins for the past month. I decided to look at my change one day noticed some interesting coins. I started collecting by an accident.

My other hobbies include cars, computers, electronics, pretty much any kind of technology tbo...

I am having a hard time navigating through the site though. I get confused pretty easily...
Hi , I am 56, work for British Airways as a aircraft engineer and go metal detecting.
Apart from all the coins and artefacts I have found, I collect coin weights,  and recently started collecting Evasion halfpenny's and Farthings .
Best regards to all of this interesting community!

I am 52 years old and I collect coins, since 1970 when a friend from school who had some pieces that had given him an uncle, came off of a repeated and gave me ten of them. Thereafter I became very interested in knowing about these pieces, their history, their country of origin and all the information I could find about them. Then came the curious to get this other and I deeply thank the complicity of my friends who remembered my interest in his travels abroad.
But the biggest boost I've had with my travels, as I worked as an electrician and mechanic naval boat fishing in the eastern Pacific, which took me from Venezuela to meet Chile, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador and very short last week by Argentina and Mexico, thus allowing me to collect a good part of my coins.
Thanks to this wonderful community that gives life to this page, I could use this technology to organize the collection and make two exchanges. Although the last of these so far has not been very happy, because the restrictions and prohibitions implemented in my country's foreign policy and economic segregation, there is full freedom for the mailing of collector coins and this compels one to seek help from friends who travel abroad to continue the hobby.
I think I have another hobby, but a hobby Numismatics is a passion that requires much study and dedication, but provides a number of satisfactions.

En Español:

Cordiales saludos a toda esta interesante comunidad!

Tengo 52 años de edad y colecciono monedas, desde 1970 cuando un amigo de escuela que poseía unas piezas que le había regalado un tío, se desprendió de unas repetidas y me obsequió diez de ellas. De allí en adelante me interesé mucho en conocer acerca de esas piezas, su historia, de sus países de origen y toda la información que pudiera encontrar en torno a ellas. Surgió luego la curiosidad de obtener otras y en esto debo agradecer profundamente la complicidad de amigas y amigos que se acordaban de mi afición en sus viajes al exterior.
Pero el impulso más grande lo he tenido con mis viajes, pues trabajé como electricista y mecánico naval en barcos de pesca en el Pacífico Oriental, que me llevaron desde Venezuela a conocer Chile, Colombia, Panamá, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador y una muy breve pasada por Argentina y México, permitiéndome así colectar una buena parte de mis monedas.
Gracias a esta maravillosa comunidad que le da vida a esta página, pude hacer uso de esta tecnología para organizar la colección y realizar dos intercambios. Aunque el último de estos hasta ahora no ha resultado muy feliz, ya que por las restricciones y prohibiciones implementadas en mi país en materia de divisas y políticas de segregación económica, no existe plena libertad para para realizar el envío postal de monedas de colección y esto lo obliga a uno a buscar la ayuda de amigos que viajan al exterior para continuar con la afición.
Creo que no tengo otra afición, la Numismática más que un hobbie, es una pasión que requiere mucho estudio y dedicación, pero que brinda un sinnúmero de satisfacciones.
I'm 14 years old and I love antiquing as well as, duh, coin collecting.  :)
Best regards,
Le-Hawk
I'm a nineteen year-old student in geography whose name is Lucas!
I'm close to achieve a licence in geography this year.
And i LOOOOOOve the piano, especially playing it (without lessons) on my own.
[...]
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
                            Robert Frost
I'm 18, I was born in Brazil, but I'm half American, and I'm living in Mexico. I'm a senior in high school, and I plan to study Audio Engineering and Music in some college (still deciding.) I've been playing a couple of instruments for almost ten years now, I've been a video game fanatic since I was four, and I love to read. Someone got me into coin collecting when they gave me a big ol' bag full of random coins for christmas.

That's about it  :D

-Patrick G.
This is more interesting than the thread asking only about age, besides which a woman never reveals her true age. :P  Suffice it to say I'm not a teenager or a senior, and consider myself younger rather than older.

My interest in coins was revived whilst on a recent holiday to London, which also happened to coincide with a period of unemployment (still job hunting, in fact, much to my immense frustration!), hence why I 'suddenly' popped up on Numista and have had a lot of free time (too much?) to spend on these forum pages. :°

I am a communications professional, which means I essentially get paid to write, talk and socialise, lol. When I have a job, at least!! :~  Currently based in Asia, which is ironic, since I don't really like Asian coins and much prefer European ones, which are harder to find over here. C'est la vie!

I also enjoy rock music, like to think I can play the electric guitar B) (I am self-taught and not that great, but can manage a few impressive/recognisable riffs, lol), enjoy watching live bands with a beer or JD Coke in hand (;0 and collect some banknotes, a few war medals, plus lots of minerals and some fossils. Haha, kinda random/eclectic!! :D
www.facebook.com/numismatics.anonymous
Public community/page for mostly related news articles. :)
hi  ,i jut turned  18  two months ago.  finished my II PUC (12th grade) this year  . :love: to play and watch  basketball.started  coin collecting  when i was  13 years old.
Hi
I'm 28 and work as a cashier of sorts. Looking for a more stable job for now or at least a better paying job. I've only been collecting for about 5 years. I love studying obscure coins and reading history books. Not much in the job department related to history or archaeology around here tho. But hopefully better fortunes will come and I'll find my way soon.
I am 39, I am a PCB Electronics & computing repair engineer, I like to collect absolutely any coin that grabs my attention.

I don't have any other hobbies any more, I have recently been made disabled with a shot to hell nervous system, so nothing strenuous is possible, I used to make coin rings but I can no longer do that as it is labour intensive, but the good to come out of it is it got me interested in collecting the coins rather than punching holes in them.
Restoration addict : Verdigris Removal : Zinc White spot removal : Iron Rust Removal : Silver brooch/necklace mount Removal
I am 17, I work as a custodian and I also collect video games.
What about me... I will be 30 in a few months, I'm French (again), I lived a few months in Czech Republic a few years ago, I'm a chemist and a gamer.

Ukraine 1 Hryvnia (EURO 2012)
Administrateur du catalogue, référent de nombreuses nations antiques et de la Lorraine.
Catalogue administrator, numerous Antique nations and Lorraine referee.
Another great thread. Im 43. And am presently an inner city elementary school teacher. I was a bank teller during the Murrah bombing and am trying to put together a story of how that event almost collapsed the banking and currency system in Oklahoma and may have contributed to the rapid expansion of online banking among the institutions and the federal reserve. I worked for a dutch multinational in a us textbook firm. Worked in the world coin department at APMEX for a time. Love teaching the most tho. My other hobbies besides coins are banknotes, travel, and master gardening. This is a great website and I have felt rewarded and welcome more than I havent.
Currently 22, student of History at college, and hobbies? Well, history, befriending random cats on the streets, photographing churches and chapels as reminder of where I have been, managing this catalogue, reading and traveling. :`
Catalogue administrator, You can support my dream of becoming full time worker on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
I'm 35, and working in the very manly profession of being a secretary at a University.

My other hobbies include playing the drums a bit (poorly), playing darts (slightly better), watching sports (football, darts, NFL). My girlfriend thinks all my interests are geeky.
I am 18, I work as a janitor and I like to collect coins and banknotes as well as video games. I have been coin collecting since 2005 as I wanted to see what coins from around the world looked like and then it also became banknotes. It was not until 2013 that I discovered numista and then my collection started to really take off.
I am 67. I worked mostly as a librarian at colleges and universities in the United States and Australia. Then I became self-employed working from home, a few years as a watcher of television newscasts (really, I recorded them on VHS and sent the tapes to a major city about 50 miles from my home and on the computer sent in coded summaries of the news stories). That ended after Sept. 11 terrorist attacks when company started relying on closed captioning. Then I became a proofreader, getting my work off the Internet from a company in New England, for some years before I retired at age 66.

My first hobby was stamp collecting. I had an excellent collection of people's birth and death centenaries, bicentenaries, etc., and the countries of ASEAN. I had to sell it off due to debts. I guess travel became a hobby as you can see in another thread from my post of the countries visited. I then had large collections of movies on VHS, which I sold off just before DVDs became hot, and music on cassette tapes and CDs. I lost interest in most of these in the 1980s. I started coins to replace actual travel. I have projects relating to stamp collecting though I no longer collect. I have been trying to name a physical place, mostly capital cities and major cities but also islands and capes in some limited examples, located within every current and former stamp issuing entity, which is no easy task (try and find reliable information on the capital of Upper Yafa). I am also working to compile a list of current and former stamp issuing entities and their current or earlier names as appropriate. All this keeps me busy and I still try to record every movie on TV, including premium cable channels, that I have not yet seen and I have over 400 DVDs in my Netflix queue. That is why it is taking me forever to enter my coins on Numista (probably about 1/3 entered, large countries like United Kingdom, Canada, France, Germany mostly still to go).

Will
At the moment I am 63 and retired. I worked for only three different companies during my working life.I built dockside cranes for the first 22 years, then had a temporary job in a chocolate factory then the remaining years built parts of the Airbus A330/A340 with Airbus.I have collected coins since I was 11 years old and also collected some banknotes, although not seriously. My favourite banknotes are three that a work colleague gave me when he retired. They came out of his wallet and had kept them there since 1945. They were prisoner of war notes from Germany. Another favourite is a WW1 prisoner of war banknote.WhenI was younger, I used to visit my grandparents often and always looked at the two gun shells that stood on his mantelpiece. After my grandfather died, I had hope to be given them but this was not to be. A few years later, I found out that my aunt had them so I asked her if I could have them and she agreed. They now take pride of place amongst many brass gun shells. Smallest is a .303 British shell case and my largest is a 150mm German shell from 1915.If I had to pick an addition to my gun shell collection, it would be a German 88mm.Pride of place in my small office is the medals my grandfather and grandmother received after WWI and my dad's. He was a Bevan boy down the coal mines, so did not do military service until 1946.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
I am 47 already, I have changed about 10 jobs in my life and I am closed to the 11th, like geocashing and bridge
Quote: "pnightingale"​I'm 56 and I dominate coin shows. ....but I'm 69 and have dominated longer than you. (:

43 male and unmarried and unwilling to marryn - no kids or any possible love children

Only delivering newspapers, but also doing administrative work for my partners accountancy firm

Other hobbies - Philatelics (Big time, member of 5 clubs and managing 3 of them)
Prince music and more
Books
Vinyl and old records
History and timelapse creations
watching camp and b movies
I love coins, both old and precious and also change coins. If its round and shiny, it will garner my interest. I also collect stamps and have an abiding interest in History, Archaeology,  and Social Issues.  I also worship the musical god Prince.
Okay, I'm 21 and studying law (one year and a half left). I like running. I now focus on 5 and 10km run (I've been doing athletics and long distance running for 8 years but stopped because of university). I also like books (reading them and collecting them) and music (especially metal).
Traducteur catalogue : n'hésitez pas à me demander de traduire une fiche.
Catalog translator : feel free to ask me to translate a page.
Quote: "Mark240590"​Just to get to know people better I thought this could be nice :) Don't put any fields in you're not comfortable with but ...

​I'm 22, work as a plumbing and heating engineer and my other hobbies include modifying cars, rural walks with the girlfriend and mutt, and just doing things with friends.

​How life changes.

Im 30 this year, I now work as a Quality Control Inspector in a Press Shop Making panels for Nissan cars having been told to leave my Trade as a Heating engineer due to Having an aggressive form of Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis.

I still enjoy the rural walks with the dogs and the same woman who’s my wife of almost 4 years now. With the same mutt and his “brother” and our two sons.

Whilst my coin collecting has fallen by the wayside since the birth of my eldest son, I’ve discovered Photography.

Quote: "ngdawa"​I just started to read this thread, post by post, until I realized that it was..a thousand posts! So I just scrolled to the bottom, hehe.

​I am 25 years old, been collecting for about 5-8 years (don't know when I stopped "saving coins from travels" and began "collecting foreign coins". There's a thin line). Besides coins I also collect banknotes. :wiz:

​But except numismatics I don't like anything! Hah, well, not quite true. I love sports, all kinds (almost). When I was younger I played handball and tennis before I changed track and began to train some budo sports like judo and jyu-jyutsu. Now, I'm too lazy and too poor to train anything, hehe! (At least half of it is true). I also love to play board games, photography, travel and just having a good time. I am also a nerd coming to geography (I know all the flags of the world, all the countries and most of the capitals), I also enjoy to learn new languages, and I know about 20 different languages! Besides latin, I can read about 5 alphabets, but I still have a hard time to read Arabic and Hebrew. (;0

​Also, I wish there were coin shows where I live.. (;0
​Just like Mark I thought it was time to update a little.

I am now 31 and have been married since 4½ years. I managed to get an educatiin (graduated last Friday, tje 17th) and tomorrow I will start my new job. I am now a train driver! :)

I am still unbeatable when it come to geography; countries, capitals, flags, but my wife is giving me a good competition nowadays. I'm still into languages, and I still struggle reading Arabic and Hebrew.
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "ngdawa"​I just started to read this thread, post by post, until I realized that it was..a thousand posts! So I just scrolled to the bottom, hehe.
​​
​​I am 25 years old, been collecting for about 5-8 years (don't know when I stopped "saving coins from travels" and began "collecting foreign coins". There's a thin line). Besides coins I also collect banknotes. :wiz:
​​
​​But except numismatics I don't like anything! Hah, well, not quite true. I love sports, all kinds (almost). When I was younger I played handball and tennis before I changed track and began to train some budo sports like judo and jyu-jyutsu. Now, I'm too lazy and too poor to train anything, hehe! (At least half of it is true). I also love to play board games, photography, travel and just having a good time. I am also a nerd coming to geography (I know all the flags of the world, all the countries and most of the capitals), I also enjoy to learn new languages, and I know about 20 different languages! Besides latin, I can read about 5 alphabets, but I still have a hard time to read Arabic and Hebrew. (;0
​​
​​Also, I wish there were coin shows where I live.. (;0
​​Just like Mark I thought it was time to update a little.

​I am now 31 and have been married since 4½ years. I managed to get an educatiin (graduated last Friday, tje 17th) and tomorrow I will start my new job. I am now a train driver! :)

​I am still unbeatable when it come to geography; countries, capitals, flags, but my wife is giving me a good competition nowadays. I'm still into languages, and I still struggle reading Arabic and Hebrew.
​I’ve actually just been looking at some trainee train driver vacancies near me !

starting salary is a bit of a paycut for a couple of years then it starts to rocket. Luckily my wife has just had a promotion at work which means this could be possible.

it would mean I’ve had 3 totally different careers if I were to take it. Maybe one day I’ll find a job I like and I can stay in it 7 years, which seems to be the magic number !

I'm 16 and I'm a student in a secondary school. I started collecting banknotes when I was given a banknote album. I was 8 then. And I have only extended to collecting coins last year. I'm also into aviation and electronics.
Every coin is a piece of art
age 23, work a stupid factory job doing plastic mold injection but trying to get promoted to something less mind numbing. Like crafting things and currently teaching myself to knit with a loom
Nice thread! I'm 25yrs old since the last nine years thereabouts ;). I've collected coins consistently and without breaks since I was 7. A torontonian since the last few years, but I grew up in Bombay, so I'm still learning to be polite like my fellow compatriots.
I observed that the bulk of our members seem to have non-numismatic activities (if any) that don't require getting out of the house. I suppose that makes sense with the archetypal numismatist. As for me, I'm a desk jockey doing some fu-fu work for my company and they pay me a sh*T load; so i can't complain lol
However, a few years ago I let my health slide and something clicked inside me to never hit those depths again. I've gone from strength to strength since and these days I'm at various points of doing advanced street calisthenics like Muscleups, Handstands, pistol squats etc as well as lifting heavy (130-150% of my bodyweight) and advanced jumprope skills like double unders, criss-cross, mic release, rope wraps etc. As such, I lead a fairly active lifestyle which includes quite a bit of international travelling. As a result, coin collecting or rather the sorting and cataloging part often takes a back seat. But I was in Singapore earlier this month and I did do a lot of coin shopping and dealer hopping..so that was fun!
Outings administrator
Quote: "drwow"​age 23, work a stupid factory job doing plastic mold injection but trying to get promoted to something less mind numbing. Like crafting things and currently teaching myself to knit with a loom

​I'm 44 yrs old and I work in a factory of plastic mold me too, I'm quality manager. About other hobbies unfortunately I don't have free time but I like to fish (lake or surfcasting on the sea directly from the beach), to pick mushrooms (I have licence to recognize good ones) ...
Hi! I'm 22 years old, and an architecture student in the Philippines, currently running for honors. I've started collecting coins as a kid with my parents' and relatives' support. Other than collecting, I am also a visual artist - I've taught origami to a couple of groups in the past (though I don't do art much ever since I entered architecture school). I also collect rocks, dice, rubber balls, and seashells (though I stopped collecting seashells for environmental reasons). I'm also a heritage advocate, having toured a couple of people in our capital. Other than studying in school, my schoolmates and I continue voicing out for human rights, an ongoing concern in my country.

I haven't spoken much in the Numista forum yet since I'm still navigating myself through the website. I do hope I will be able to get along with you guys!
Architecture Student | Visual Artist | Coin Collector
Heritage Conservation Society | Origami Pilipinas | UP TFA
https://www.instagram.com/abonymous916/
I am 62 years old, and I collect coins since I was 7 years old.
Currently, I am a professor of Computer Science at the university.
I collect many other items:
  • coffer makers (the moka type)
  • small glasses for sweet liqueurs
  • cookbooks from all the world
  • mistery books in Italian and English
  • eggcups
  • glass fruit holders
  • In the past I colelct also stamps but now I have stopped.

But I tried to avoid to collect too many things, for example, I prevented me to collect banknotes and phone cards.

Have a nice day
Gianna
CirculableCoins
58 yo, crisis manager, after several years in the military as reserve; started collecting coins in 2008.

Collecting mainly modern coins from my border region (belgium francs, german marks, french francs) and Latin Monetary Union.
Rugby fan too.
Vieille Pile
Quote: "drwow"​age 23, work a stupid factory job doing plastic mold injection but trying to get promoted to something less mind numbing. Like crafting things and currently teaching myself to knit with a loom
​yeah, I have to over check the quality of plastic bumpers. My department is Pressing and Plastic Moulding. Those lads standing at the end of the machine have a boring job !

I'm currently 14 which makes me a secondary school student in Hong Kong. I used to be one of the best in my school, always participating in various competitions across Hong Kong and often attaining prizes. Though I've since declined and now I am a normal human being again. :`

My first 'hobby' was maths. I was miles ahead of others in primary school and always won the first prize in the Hong Kong Mathematical Olympiad, but I've since lost my passion for mathematics. Recently, I've regained this 'passion' though and I began studying calculus and complex analysis in my free time.

Last year was the peak of my hobbies' development. Chemistry, programming, chess and history all became interesting to me. I used to be active on lichess.org (a chess website), but I am yet to play an actual competitive game of chess! I started learning C++ and touched concepts like dynamic programming and graph theory. Collecting coins brought me to history (well, obviously) and chemistry (composition analysis). Chemistry was much harder than I thought.

One thing leads to another and this year I've completely procrastinated, which made my academic results plummet. I've begun playing games like Europa Universalis IV which further distracts me from what I should do. x. PSA don't play computer games.
All coins are equal, but some coins are more equal than others.
Well a lot has changed, well not really. I will be 58 in a few weeks. Still working in a spring and wire form place. This Saturday I set up and ran an extension spring . Out of .500 inch wire and at 17 pounds each. Used just under 4000 pounds of wire. For a short time I worked as maintenance for plastic mold injection machines. For aplace that made crushes . Sad , I believe it was the last place that made small children crushes. I have asset they are only 24 inches high. Leftovers from polio . We sent a lot of the crushes to the UK, Parker Medical.
Coin collecting ,well , put away for sometime. And trying to get back up and running. To put in a nut shell got a very bad feeling with it. The post and people. But I think I well never stop being a coin collector. But I think I well be more in the back ground.
It is, what it is.
29 Years Old

Work: Graphic design and commercial printing technician.

Other hobbies: Mountain biking, juggling, anything outdoors. Kayaking.

Other collections: WWII memorabilia with my wife (Nothing rare or expensive, just because), other minor antiques and old tools. Also seem to have a bit of a vintage bike collection going. I guess I just like things made of metal.
Hi,

I am 39 year old and from India. Currently working as lead software test engineer. I started coin collection as a hobby few months back. First milestone looking forward is at least 1 coin from each country. Now i have from 162. Keep in touch and have a nice day

Pramod
I'm 20 years old, working as a photographer, planning to go to university. My main hobby is coins, but I also collect postage stamps.
Quote: "Marcel Mine"​I'm 20 years old, working as a photographer, planning to go to university. My main hobby is coins, but I also collect postage stamps.
​I’d love to work as a photographer ! That’s my main hobby these days :)

Hello everyone! Today I have 61 years (Feb. of 1959), I am a Brazilian entrepreneurial businessman in the field of administration of condominiums. A few years ago I was attended to try to complement my collection of coins and banknotes started in youth. I try to add a piece for KM# (circulation coin). Madness, I know. Today he is in overlooking albums more than 11 thousand coins of each corner of the world. I am associated with Brazilian numistatic society where we slept a good thing at weekly auctions. My collection of banknotes are waiting for the Xavier to make available space for them in the Numista. I love reading, I read a lot. I like history, astronomy, cinema, good music and hiking. I would like to exchange coins with the other collectors around the world (I am 2.3 thousand for that), but unfortunately the mail in my country lets you wish, as well as there is legal restrictions on the post of coins to the outside. One day who knows ...
Wilson Roberto Vasques Nunes.
Banknote catalog referee for Brazil.
Quote: "wilsonrvnunes"My collection of banknotes are waiting for the Xavier to make available space for them in the Numista.
​You're not the only one waiting for this, mate. Hopefully one day ...
Hey! I’m a 14 year old boy in Hong Kong and I’m, predictably, a student. I have way too much hobbies. Stargazing, birdwatching, collecting all kinds of stuff.

Most of which I can’t actually do because I’m pretty much locked up at home because of the coronavirus. I’ve been here for more than a month. I only go out a few times per week. Countable on one hand. I miss outside. I don’t think my eyes can cope with the online classes anymore. Help.
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
Liberate Hong Kong, Revolution of our times
HongKongCoinCollector: birds – that's a nice hobby!
ūūūūū
I am 33, and spend most of my time mountain biking. Also love off roading, kayaking, Nordic skiing. I collect books and Lego as well. Love watching the NBA, the Simpsons, and Futurama
I'm 15, probably going a job at a library this summer, and my second main hobby is Geography
"My mama always said, life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
67 years young, retired electrical engineer, currently at Art Historical Masters studies.
Continuing my father's small coins collection. Other junk I collect(ed): pre-1950's tube radios, phone-cards, stamps, minerals, old postcards, women... Other hobbies: Africa rafting, Himalaya, Iceland, scuba, desert... Totally enjoying life and I wish all of you the same!
Quote: "VieillePile"​58 yo, crisis manager, after several years in the military as reserve; started collecting coins in 2008.

​Collecting mainly modern coins from my border region (belgium francs, german marks, french francs) and Latin Monetary Union.
​Rugby fan too.

Is there any typo in your statement? :°
I'm 20, currently a poor tired student who's trying to reconcile work and study. It's really hard, I haven't though it would be so difficult. Sometimes I even have to buy assignments on https://studenterra.com/ to just sleep for more than 3 hours.
Hi everyone!
I'm 24 years old. I'm a doctor. My hobbies are: music listening, vintage British saloons and of course collecting. I collect stamps, coins and banknotes. I especially collect coins with the effigies of the British monarchs, Euro, Italian pre-€ coins and Portuguese pre-€ coins.
I collect coins since when I was 6-7 years old but my interest in coins goes back a long time say my parents...when I was a child I used to look into relatives' bags and wallets, I don't know why, I didn't steal nothing but looking back on it now it's so embarrassing :D
33 years, originally from Azerbaijan, but have been living in Germany for the last 8 years
Working in Commercial RE area.
Other hobbies: cycling, reading
other collections: books, different alcoholic beverages

collecting coins since childhood, first coins were inherited Soviet commemoratives
ad Patrem
Quote: "Lotus07"​14 years old, fanatic coin and beer coaster collector and no job for the moment. Just a pupil who hates school B)

​Greetings, Lotus07
​Wow it's been a long time since I posted this haha. I'm 22 atm and I'm a bachelor History student. Currently I'm in my fourth year since I took a gap year to study Russian and some other Russia-related subjects in Estonia. I still study Russian in my spare time, hope to achieve level A2 this year. I started to reduce my hobbies, since my coins and other collections started to take up too much space and weight. Right now I only collect banknotes and paper money because of their historical background and artsy designs. I also have an old Saab 900 from 1990 in my possession, which I slowly restore in my spare time, together with my dad. I actually roadtripped to Estonia back and forth, which is one of the most awesome things you can do with a classic from the 80s. I have some more travel plans in the future, like going to Tröllhattan and to Chernobyl. This is me with 'Laura' the Swedish Tank:

If you want to see photos of me fixing up my old banger and the adventures I make with it, you can follow me on Instagram (@zilverblauweautoboi)
-Plato
Hey everybody!

I'm 20, currently work as an IT/Install assistant at a company that sells water treatment systems, and have been happily married for one year now!!

My other hobbies include collecting Banknotes and stamps, listening to music (love rock and country, also my icon is my favorite band's logo ;)) , I play both guitar and piano, somewhat of a gamer, tattoos (currently have 5 and plan on getting more) and I love watching movies and TV series with my amazing wife. Also enjoy hikes, fishing, walks, and pretty much anything outdoors.

My interest are pretty varied, as you can see, but coin collecting has been such a great adventure (plus, I really like to organize:`)

I enjoy seeing what other collectors do outside of coins.
Quote: "Lotus07"I have some more travel plans in the future, like going to Tröllhattan
​Mate, it's Trollhättan. ;) But you almost spelled as the dialect. :D
In their dialect they say "Trôllhätta', mellan Värna å schlätta" (or in Standard Swedish: "Trollhättan, mellan Vänern och slätten"), which means "Trollhättan, between Vänern and the plain". :P

Slätt is a large expanse of relatively flat land.
Vänern is the largest lake in Sweden.
30 yo, MP advisor at the French Parliament & Law teacher at the University.
My hobby? I define myself as a geek, so... you know :8D
Gaulois réfractaire –
Membre de l'APDTABDFM (Amicale Pour la Défense des Tranches A et B sur les Dix Francs Matthieu).
I understand Chernobyl but what's the draw of Trollhattan, apart from the awesome Nordic name?

Further on the subject of that wonderful Swedish language, I belong to a group which researches the history of The Rossendale Forest area of England's wild North. I lived in the Southern part, around Holcombe which has been settled since at least the Iron Age but went to school at the very Northern edge, near Bacup. For my fellow Americans, think Virginia / West Virginia.

It wasn't widely developed until the industrial revolution and the demand for coal. Although the school was quite magnificent, the area in general was considered to be low class and vulgar. They spoke what I can only describe as a foreign language. Actually it turns out they were. Modern linguists have traced many of the phrases back to Swedish invaders who settled in the area. So now when I hear from an old school friend who tells me to "Stop yer sen skrieking fer nowt and gimmi a sken." I can quite understand him.
Quote: "pnightingale"So now when I hear from an old school friend who tells me to "Stop yer sen skrieking fer nowt and gimmi a sken." I can quite understand him.
Lol! That looks like someone is trying to write down a Swedish phrase their Swedish immigrant grandfather used to say when they were kids. :D
It's North Lancashire working class dialect. It was already being killed off by TV during my time but older folks still speak it. It was always assumed that it derived from Middle English but in recent years it's been firmly established that it's roots are 9th century Swedish.
Quote: "pnightingale"​It's North Lancashire working class dialect. It was already being killed off by TV during my time but older folks still speak it. It was always assumed that it derived from Middle English but in recent years it's been firmly established that it's roots are 9th century Swedish.
​It's pretty cool when you can trace a dialect that long back - and to a foreign language.
I assume that "skrieking" is "shouting", but what is "sken" supposed to mean? In Swedish is means "light" as in "månsken" (moon light), but it really doesn't fit in here.
Quote: "fourmack"​Hi
​My name is Don and I am 63 and retired (just plain tired) and have owned a stamp and coin shop in the 80's also a card and comic shop in the 90's and now looking after my son's webpage www.trumpetgear.co.nz in New Zealand while he lives in Vancouver.
​At present I am doing more selling than collecting as I haven't found the right country or the right coins yet.
​Having just acquired a new digital camera (Rebel T3 with a 90mm macro lens) and still learning how to use it (I am used to the old Asahi Pentax film cameras {did have the largest collection in the southern hemisphere}).

​Cheers, Don <:D
​WOW 7years have past so quickly :o
COVID19 has made me clean up my collections and get organised for the great beyond.
My son is back home in NZ with my granddaughter and wife(its good to have them home ).

I now and have the knowledge of Canada large cents in which I specialise in 1859 varieties also collect farthings and smaller.
I hope everyone is safe and well.
Cheers from New Zealand.
Cheers Don
Quote: "pnightingale"​It's North Lancashire working class dialect. It was already being killed off by TV during my time but older folks still speak it. It was always assumed that it derived from Middle English but in recent years it's been firmly established that it's roots are 9th century Swedish.
​​It's pretty cool when you can trace a dialect that long back - and to a foreign language.
​I assume that "skrieking" is "shouting", but what is "sken" supposed to mean? In Swedish is means "light" as in "månsken" (moon light), but it really doesn't fit in here.
​I’ll go out in a limb and say scone :)

Quote: "Lotus07"I have some more travel plans in the future, like going to Tröllhattan
​​Mate, it's Trollhättan. ;) But you almost spelled as the dialect. :D
​In their dialect they say "Trôllhätta', mellan Värna å schlätta" (or in Standard Swedish: "Trollhättan, mellan Vänern och slätten"), which means "Trollhättan, between Vänern and the plain". :P

Slätt is a large expanse of relatively flat land.
Vänern is the largest lake in Sweden.
​Pardon my Swedish! As you can tell, I have yet to become fluent in this interesting language ;)
-Plato
Quote: "pnightingale"​I understand Chernobyl but what's the draw of Trollhattan, apart from the awesome Nordic name?

​Further on the subject of that wonderful Swedish language, I belong to a group which researches the history of The Rossendale Forest area of England's wild North. I lived in the Southern part, around Holcombe which has been settled since at least the Iron Age but went to school at the very Northern edge, near Bacup. For my fellow Americans, think Virginia / West Virginia.

​It wasn't widely developed until the industrial revolution and the demand for coal. Although the school was quite magnificent, the area in general was considered to be low class and vulgar. They spoke what I can only describe as a foreign language. Actually it turns out they were. Modern linguists have traced many of the phrases back to Swedish invaders who settled in the area. So now when I hear from an old school friend who tells me to "Stop yer sen skrieking fer nowt and gimmi a sken." I can quite understand him.
​Interesting story about this dialect! But I want to go to Trollhättan because its the birth place of Saab and every year (except this year) a festival is organized there that attracts Saab enthusiasts from all over the continent :)
-Plato
Skreiking = Crying or whinging. I reckon every Rossendale mother told their kids to "Quit yer skreiking" at some point. Comes from Norse "Skrike".
Sken is to look or view and it's identical in spelling to the old Norse. If some well muscled Northern miner asks "What yer skenning at?" you're about to get thumped. He's all het up (hetta upp sig?)
English is the extent of my linguistic ability, this is the work of far better minds than mine but I do find it fascinating as it's all stuff I heard every day some 50 years ago. Finally it all makes sense.

It's interesting to note that just 15 miles apart, the place names are slightly different with Saxon names to the South and Norse to the North, none of that posh Anglo Norman Frenchified stuff. My grandmother spoke a very different dialect, best described as High Church Tory, full of thee, thou and thine. Very much like the King James Bible was written.
Quote: "Lotus07"
​​​Mate, it's Trollhättan. ;) But you almost spelled as the dialect. :D
​​In their dialect they say "Trôllhätta', mellan Värna å schlätta" (or in Standard Swedish: "Trollhättan, mellan Vänern och slätten"), which means "Trollhättan, between Vänern and the plain". :P
​​
​​Slätt is a large expanse of relatively flat land.
​​Vänern is the largest lake in Sweden.
​​Pardon my Swedish! As you can tell, I have yet to become fluent in this interesting language ;)
​Lol, no worries mate. I was just teasing you. ;)
Quote: "pnightingale"​Skreiking = Crying or whinging. I reckon every Rossendale mother told their kids to "Quit yer skreiking" at some point. Comes from Norse "Skrike".
Ah yes, that's what I thought. In modern Swedish it's "skrika" and now a days it only means "shouting". Crying or whining would be "gnälla".
Quote: "pnightingale"​Sken is to look or view and it's identical in spelling to the old Norse. If some well muscled Northern miner asks "What yer skenning at?" you're about to get thumped. He's all het up (hetta upp sig?)
We still have that "sken", but only in the phrase "ge sken av", which means like "make it look like" or "make it appear as". E.g. Han ger ett sken av att att vara snäll, which means something like "He makes it appear/look like he's kind. As if a man helped an old lady to cross the road but theb robbed her. He made a nice action just so she would let down her guard.

Niw a days a person cannot "hetta up sig". Would that mean that he's getting "fired up"or angry? We do have the words "hetlevrad" and "hetsig" which both mean "hot-tempered".
"Het" means "hot" (temperature) in Swedish.
Quote: "pnightingale"​English is the extent of my linguistic ability, this is the work of far better minds than mine but I do find it fascinating as it's all stuff I heard every day some 50 years ago. Finally it all makes sense.
Yeah, thus was really cool! I, too, learned a lot. It's amazing how some words are still use, but shifted in meaning and how they're used. :)
Hey everybody!

Although I'm a member of this site more than two years, but this is only my second comment on the forum, in the future I would like to be more active than before :)
So..I'm 34 yrs old from Hungary, but I lived 2 years in the UAE in Abu-Dhabi. I started to collect coins around 3-4 years ago-I have a friend who started to work at an auction house, I think partly under his influence. Currently I'm working as a storekeeper, and I have been married for 5 years.
Other hobbies: I like history (originally I studied history on the university but I didn't graduate at last) football (mostly just watching :) English footbal -COYS- or playing Football Manager), traveling,reading or watching tv-series. I would like to start to metal detecting, but unfortunately in Hungary the legal rules are strict.
Check my collection: https://www.instagram.com/coinsmaniac/?hl=hu
Hello My name is Joseph

I am just about 14 years old and relatively new to this site but not the hobby.
I do not have a "job". One of my other hobbies I kind of quite was flying radio
controlled planes, I somewhat quite this hobby because of the cost of the
plane and they don't seem to last long mostly because I don't have a good
place to fly them. I also like spending time with my parents and my 5 siblings
and I also enjoy playing video games sometimes. I also live in the US of A in
Michigan.
Hi everyone!
I'm 64,retired.
Hobbis-just 3 absolutely basic sings for any numismatist (IMHO)-history,geography and heraldry .
Hi everyone,

Im an 18 year old from India. Other than collecting coins and banknotes, I love Physics, Mathematics, History and Economics... One of the rare breeds found here, who stands at the intersection of loving Science and Liberal Arts... Pastimes include binge watching TV Series, and Movies, playing games (limited, not much). Will be joining college this year (hope the pandemic comes under control)...

regards,
Soubhik Chatterjee.
Numismatics is the window to the history of the human civilisation. An unidentified coin is a lump of matter. An identified coin is a piece of human history, a narator to the story of humanity.
Quote: "Chatterjee_Soubhik"​Hi everyone,

​Im an 18 year old from India. Other than collecting coins and banknotes, I love Physics, Mathematics, History and Economics... One of the rare breeds found here, who stands at the intersection of loving Science and Liberal Arts... Pastimes include binge watching TV Series, and Movies, playing games (limited, not much). Will be joining college this year (hope the pandemic comes under control)...

​regards,
​Soubhik Chatterjee.
​Welcome, and good luck!
Um, I suppose I should introduce myself.

I am 30 years old. I live in Ireland. But I was born in the Middle East or Western Asia.

My primary hobby is philately. I started when I was six or seven. I am a seasoned Toastmaster. I am currently the President of my Club. I have a passion for Middle Eastern history. I am an associate member of the A.S.M.E.A. I also enjoy law (educational background), philosophy and political science in my spare time.

I started buying pure gold and silver coins over two years ago to protect the value of my savings due to declining interest rates. An exercise in wealth preservation has become an unexpected hobby. I had no prior interest in numismatics.
I'm pretty old now (or at least most people assume this from the lack of pigment in my hair) & I have been collecting banknotes before any standard catalogue (in my country or Krause) was ever published. Everyone, including my big brother, collected coins. He got the cool coins from my grandma/grandpa. That's why I started scooping a few cool banknotes when I worked at a carwash (knowing I could never compete with him).

If I told anyone about my secret hobby they just looked at me with those "poor kid" eyes & changed the subject. Back then a dollar was a huge amount of money to stash away so I seldom saved $2, $5 & maybe the odd $10 note after I hit my twenties. One thing I learned was that putting away the odd banknote took a huge amount of discipline- so I have tried to practice that (& delayed gratification) for many years now. Once I got my hands on a catalogue I realized I was collecting blindly (had no idea what was collectible/what wasn't). It took me years to understand this (& to learn how to grade a banknote).

I'm happy to see that a few coin collectors are looking into acquiring banknotes these days. I'm also happy to see so many young collectors (& some women) get involved too. The greatest thing about joining a site like Numista is the chance to interact with others from different parts of the globe.

Other hobbies? Just fishing, writing, reading, travelling & researching CDN history (can't afford to collect anything else).
Notaphilyc Culture

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 02:09PM.