Validating Philip I, Antoninianus, 246, Rome

6 posts • viewed 103 times
Hello all.

I've made my first foray into ancient coins, specifically Roman. I've purchased one Roman Empire and one Republic coin off vcoins. I just received the coin today and it is much shinier in person. I believe the vendor NumisCorner to be trustworthy (based on feedback I've read elsewhere, including here), but I'd just like some reassurance. Originally I was going to go the NGC route, which is probably a waste of money for a $90 coin, so I'm turning to enthusiasts instead.

I weighed it out to 4 grams and measures about 21mm in diameter. This was the listing itself:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/brian/239/product/coin_philip_i_antoninianus_246_rome_au5053_silver_ric27b/1338687/Default.aspx

Here are pictures I took of the coin:

Thank you in advance.
Weight and diameter match

Some antonianus/denarius collector can comment on the fabrication methods better.
Looks real to me, the portrait is a little bit crude but thats just the different talent levels of the engravers I would say. Using the weight as proof is not very useful in my opinion because they are so different to each other. I have some antoninians from the reign of Gordian III. (The predecessor of Philipp) with weight differences from 2,7 - 5g. I guess the inflation of the third century crisis already destroyed the weight standards.
It's real.
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
I also think real. Material, form and style all fit.
My real problem with this coin is it is over cleaned and the seller put up favorable pictures.
A bit more than I would pay for this coin.
Thank you for the responses. Of the two coins I bought, the denarii from 77 BC is much darker and looks much more like silver (i.e. closer to poured bullion, but with a little age to it), versus this coin, which seems very shiny. But perhaps it's the difference in fineness, with the older denarii being closer to pure silver and the antoninianus from 246 AD being probably 40% pure at best? I have no idea, I'm brand new at this, but it's the best explanation I could think of based on the degradation of Roman currency as the years went on.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:50.