Interesting New Zealand Mint Set Error [solved]

9 posts • viewed 239 times
Lately I have been buying up New Zealand Uncirculated Mint Sets. They are fairly cheap to get hold of in Australia, the earlier ones anyway. So I managed to get a 1983 set which includes the Fiftieth Anniversary of NZ Coinage large $1 coin.

I was just checking out the set and noticed something unusual about it. It is supposed to contain a 1 cent, 2 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent, 20 cent, 50 cent and the Commemorative $1. But the one I bought has not got a 20 cent in it. It has got two 50 cent coins.

The coins are press sealed in a plastic sleeve so it has not been swapped out. It must have been issued like that. The coins are struck at the Royal Mint but I'm not sure where they are sealed in the plastic. That might have been done at the New Zealand Reserve Bank?

Here are some pics ....

I'm not sure if this is a common error or not, maybe some of our NZ members can comment on it?

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia - I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, New Zealand Sets, USA & Euros plus Various Exonumia. I also have other World Coins that I swap for the coins I collect.
This is the same set, but with the correct coins ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254805931018

My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
Hi Mike This is a mistake made by the mint- I have never seen it before so would imagine threre is not many of them (maybe just the one off mistake)
It is not mentioned in John Bertrands , so must be rare. I have one of these sets(different year) that has one of the coins reversed and I paid 3 x catalogue value for it. Tomorrow i will ring John and ask him

Best regards Murray
Quote: "muzz0000"​Hi Mike This is a mistake made by the mint- I have never seen it before so would imagine threre is not many of them (maybe just the one off mistake)
​ It is not mentioned in John Bertrands , so must be rare. I have one of these sets(different year) that has one of the coins reversed and I paid 3 x catalogue value for it. Tomorrow i will ring John and ask him

​Best regards Murray
​Looks like I got a bargain then .. I only paid $9.99 for it. It was not advertised as an error set. I thought I was just getting a normal one and then this error set showed up. .. You gotta get a win sometimes I suppose. :)

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia - I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, New Zealand Sets, USA & Euros plus Various Exonumia. I also have other World Coins that I swap for the coins I collect.
Mike,
I thought the saying was "the luck of the Irish", so you must have Irish ancestry. Best of luck finding out its history, if indeed it supposed to have one. I assume errors like this are mostly unrecorded for some time until a pair of eagle eyes spots it.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Hi. Mike. Still waiting for official answer from dealer but it looks like it is rare if not a one off
I will let you know once I hear from him

best regards. Murray
Hi Mike - dealer has said it is most likly a one off mistake- and that rather than being a flaw is a mistake with packaging ___
he would be happy to pay $50.00 NZ for it
If you placed on Trademe (nz auction site ) you would most likely get interest and a higher price i would say- hope this helps

stay safe and well Murray
Thanks Murray for checking it out. Yes I agree probably just a slip up when packaging the coins in the plastic seal thingy. Probably done at the Royal Mint I suppose. I am going to hang onto it though.

I am getting another normal 1983 set to add to my collection of NZ Mint Sets. I have got most of the early ones now. Just chasing a 1971. Considering the mintage of these NZ Mint sets from 1967 to around 1993 they are quite cheap to get hold off.

The ones from 1995 onwards are not exactly cheap though but understandable given the very low mintage of 3,000 or even less. This seems to be the best way to get hold of NZ coins in Uncirculated condition.

It is a real shame that NZ Post stopped producing Uncirculated sets from 2014 and only do Proof Sets now. They are way too expensive for the average punter.

Cheers Mike
Hi. Mike. Pleased you are holding on to it -I would imagine the dealer would ask a lot more for it
yes the new ones are expensive but desirable
stay safe and well. Murray
Status changed to Solved (brismike, 13-Jan-2021, 06:22AM)

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 10:57AM.