New feature: Past auction sales results

49 posts • viewed 871 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,

Numista can now show the results of auctions for coins and banknotes in the catalogue.
See this aureus from Brutus for example. You can see at the bottom that one of these aurei was sold for 2.7 million GBP in October 2020, with a link to the details of this lot on Roma Numismatics' website.
The idea is to show more samples and to give an idea of the price for less common coins and banknotes.

Like the rest of the content of the catalogue, this is a collaborative feature: click on "Register a past auction sale" at the bottom of the page of the coin type or banknote type. Requests to register a sale will be approved by referees before the sale becomes visible.

I hope you like it!

PS: The similar feature "Match past online sales" which allowed to map auctions from eBay will probably disappear soon. It's already partly broken, as eBay closed the access to retrieve their past sales a few months ago.
That is fantastic, looking forward to trying it out more in detail.
can results be retreived from past auction sales websites such as on
acsearch.info

thank you Xavier, great to see this site constantly evolving and improving.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Hello!

Great feature, indeed! thank you for implementing it!

I have a couple of comments:

- would be good to be able to edit / delete an entry in case a mistake is done

- the date is automatically selected for the latest auction of that auction house, regardless of which auction is selected (e.g. even if I select "Auction 30", the date will automatically be set to the date of the latest one, "Auction 68").
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces23562.html
... And another couple thoughts:

- Would be nice if the entries were sorted (by Version, then by Grade, then by Date would work best I think).

- it's currently not possible to put in a past auction if the coin was not sold or if the price is not known. I think it would still be interesting to have some of these unsold coins in the database. I am thinking it would be nice to give the option to input the "estimate" or "starting price" for unsold coins
Very nice feature! It will be a this will be a powerful research tool and to bring more people to the Numista! Congrats Xavier!
Sub Quo Signo Nata Stabit
Quote: "apuking"​That is fantastic, looking forward to trying it out more in detail.
​can results be retreived from past auction sales websites such as on ​acsearch.info
There is no such limitations, although links to the website of the auction house are preferred.
Quote: "stratocaster"​- would be good to be able to edit / delete an entry in case a mistake is done
​I will add this capability in a later phase
Quote: "stratocaster"​​- the date is automatically selected for the latest auction of that auction house, regardless of which auction is selected (e.g. even if I select "Auction 30", the date will automatically be set to the date of the latest one, "Auction 68").​
The date and the currency were pre-filled based on the auction data only if no date or currency were filled yet. So if you select an auction and then change to another one, the date and currency still correspond to the first auction. I changed that so that the auction data will always override the date and currency. Could you please verify it's now working as expected?
Quote: "stratocaster"​- Would be nice if the entries were sorted (by Version, then by Grade, then by Date would work best I think).
I agree. For the moment they are sorted by date only.
Quote: "stratocaster"​- it's currently not possible to put in a past auction if the coin was not sold or if the price is not known. I think it would still be interesting to have some of these unsold coins in the database. I am thinking it would be nice to give the option to input the "estimate" or "starting price" for unsold coins
This may be added in a later phase. Do you really think the estimate makes sense? I've seen some auction houses always estimating lower than the price the lot eventually reaches, and other auction houses where the sold price rarely exceeds the estimate.
Quote: "stratocaster"https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces23562.html
​... And another couple thoughts:

​- Would be nice if the entries were sorted (by Version, then by Grade, then by Date would work best I think).
​Sales are now sorted:
  • by version
  • then from higher grade to lower grade
  • then from more recent to older.
Thank you very much, Xavier!
Quote: "Xavier"
Quote: "stratocaster"​​- the date is automatically selected for the latest auction of that auction house, regardless of which auction is selected (e.g. even if I select "Auction 30", the date will automatically be set to the date of the latest one, "Auction 68").​
​The date and the currency were pre-filled based on the auction data only if no date or currency were filled yet. So if you select an auction and then change to another one, the date and currency still correspond to the first auction. I changed that so that the auction data will always override the date and currency. Could you please verify it's now working as expected?

Perfect!

Quote: "stratocaster"​- Would be nice if the entries were sorted (by Version, then by Grade, then by Date would work best I think).
​I agree. For the moment they are sorted by date only.
Also perfect!
Quote: "stratocaster"​- it's currently not possible to put in a past auction if the coin was not sold or if the price is not known. I think it would still be interesting to have some of these unsold coins in the database. I am thinking it would be nice to give the option to input the "estimate" or "starting price" for unsold coins
​This may be added in a later phase. Do you really think the estimate makes sense? I've seen some auction houses always estimating lower than the price the lot eventually reaches, and other auction houses where the sold price rarely exceeds the estimate.
​Yes, I agree estimates can be misleading!

Maybe still, it would be nice to also allow unsold coins to be added. For this, the easiest way would be to allow the "Sold price" field to remain blank and display something like "N/A" or "-" in the table. A blank price can be useful in other situations, like when the price is not known, or when the coin is part of a lot, like this one for example:
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=4125&lot=5145
These are rare coins, so it would be nice to add them, but it would be hard to split the price.

Best regards
starto
Problem solved thank you
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Is it possible to add further Auction Houses?
I did not look in detail which was missing but I tried to add the price from an auction of
Münzen & Medaillen GmbH and it was not there
https://www.muenzenundmedaillendeutschland.de/de/de_aktuelles.html

Thank you,
Quote: "apuking"​One thing I noticed, I just put in the number 21000 as 21,000
​When added it now shows on the coin 21.00€

​Could it be done that even if someone adds the number as 21,000 or 21'000 it will still be displayed as 21000 or that symbols such as ' and , cannot be added?

​Thank you

​Here the coin where it is now displayed wrong https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces169722.html
​I adjusted the form to prevent inputs like 21,000, which might be ambiguous (or need some context). You can still enter prices according to the following examples: 21,00 (for 21 euros) or 21'000 (for 21000 euros).
I also fixed the incorrect price you linked.
Quote: "apuking"​Is it possible to add further Auction Houses?
​I did not look in detail which was missing but I tried to add the price from an auction of
​Münzen & Medaillen GmbH and it was not there
https://www.muenzenundmedaillendeutschland.de/de/de_aktuelles.html
​It is possible to add more auction houses, provided we have the permission to reuse their pictures (which is true for ​Münzen & Medaillen GmbH). Do you know where I can find a list of their past auctions?
Quote: "Xavier"​​​It is possible to add more auction houses, provided we have the permission to reuse their pictures (which is true for ​Münzen & Medaillen GmbH). Do you know where I can find a list of their past auctions?
Found them here
https://www.biddr.com/auctions/mmgmbh/
Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
Thank you Xavier.

At least for 41 of their past Auctions, information and Pictures can be found here.
https://www.acsearch.info/auctions.html?company=74

This drop down list should be ordered alphabetically. This is a very long list (and far from complete) and it's difficult to find the right auction if not ordered alphabetically.
They are listed by the date of their acution which makes sense. Some auctions such as Heritage Autions however use several different names for their auctions which is confusing here.
I've made a sale registration request but forgot to add the lot number. So I've made a new one and wanted to cancel the original one. Apparently it isn't possible to cancel such a request, I got the message: "Error. Demande incorrect.". Xavier, can you fix this?
Quote: "Essor Prof"​I've made a sale registration request but forgot to add the lot number. So I've made a new one and wanted to cancel the original one. Apparently it isn't possible to cancel such a request, I got the message: "Error. Demande incorrect.". Xavier, can you fix this?
​Thanks for reporting that. It's fixed.
I added Münzen & Medaillen GmbH :)
Xavier, can you please add Auction 23 for "AW - Auction World" (auction date 16 January 2021)?
Quote: "Essor Prof"​Xavier, can you please add Auction 23 for "AW - Auction World" (auction date 16 January 2021)?
​Done :)
Suggestion. Some auction houses give a realized price buyer's fee included, others give it with buyer's fee not included. For expensive coins this can make a big difference. I wanted to write this information after the realized price but that wasn't accepted. Isn't it possible to add a few boxes to thick: buyer's fee included - buyer's fee excluded and maybe a third box when there is no information if buyer's fee is included or excluded?

Another suggestion. I've just made a sale registration request from a Japanese auction house but the realized price in Yen doesn't make me much wiser. Is it possible to also give an indication of the realized price in the currency of your home country?
It is already depicted in your local currency (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces26999.html) and personally if buyers fee is excluded I would add it because that's what was paid for it. You don't bid on an item without considering it (if you have a certain budget that is :°).
Ah thanks Idolenz, but I forgot to add the picture and as you can see here it isn't but that's probably because the request isn't validated yet:

And adding the buyer's fee myself when it's not included is also a good tip.
I added an option to delete a sale.

Modifying is more complex, and I doubt it will be needed very often. For the moment, if something needs to be changed, you can delete and add again.
I also added an indication to include the buyer's fee in the price.
That's great, Xavier!

Any chance you can also allow sales to be published without filling in the price?
Hi!

Xavier, can you please add portuguese auction house Diamantino Leilões- https://www.diamantinoleiloes.pt/

Thanks.
Quote: "stratocaster"​That's great, Xavier!

​Any chance you can also allow sales to be published without filling in the price?
​Yes, I will add this for lots of several items and for unsold items.
Quote: "guga.lamy"
​Hi!

​Xavier, can you please add portuguese auction house Diamantino Leilões- https://www.diamantinoleiloes.pt/

​Thanks.
​We don't have the permission to copy their pictures.
You can now indicate whether a lot was unsold or contains several items. No price is requested in this case.
You can also indicate whether the price includes buyer's fee or not: https://en.numista.com/forum/topic105804.html
Thank you Xavier! It works great :)

I have a question: how is the price calculated based on the auctions?

E. g. here there are two 1809 UNC coins sold for 800 CHF each. The price shows in the table as 799.38. Are you taking into account some inflation?
The listed auctions also have no fees. It's probably safe to add at least 17% to account for the fees.

The same coin also has two sales for 1818 XF, but the price is not computed in the table. Is this because of the price difference? Or fees?

Best
strato
Xavier, can you add Auction 18 (31-01-2021) for The Coinhouse Auctions? Thanks.
Quote: "stratocaster"​I have a question: how is the price calculated based on the auctions?

​E. g. here there are two 1809 UNC coins sold for 800 CHF each. The price shows in the table as 799.38. Are you taking into account some inflation?
​The listed auctions also have no fees. It's probably safe to add at least 17% to account for the fees.

​The same coin also has two sales for 1818 XF, but the price is not computed in the table. Is this because of the price difference? Or fees?

​I don't really get your point. Could you please clarify? I can't see "799.38" for instance. Maybe a screenshot could help.

Regarding "It's probably safe to add at least 17% to account for the fees", this was discussed here, and all future added sales will be flagged with either "(incl. buyer's premium)" or "(+ buyer's premium)".
Quote: "Essor Prof"​Xavier, can you add Auction 18 (31-01-2021) for The Coinhouse Auctions? Thanks.
Can auction Schulman 327 be added please?
Thanks!
markyourcoin.weebly.com
Quote: "Chilian"​Can auction Schulman 327 be added please?
​Thanks!
Quote: "Xavier"​​I don't really get your point. Could you please clarify? I can't see "799.38" for instance. Maybe a screenshot could help.

​Regarding "It's probably safe to add at least 17% to account for the fees", this was discussed here, and all future added sales will be flagged with either "(incl. buyer's premium)" or "(+ buyer's premium)".
Yesterday the price was 799.38, today it's 800.07:​

Is this based on the two auctions for this year/grade @CHF 800? In red below:

Or is it based on the prices set by owners? or both?

If based on auctions, I was curious:
- why is there a small difference?
- should there be an estimate percentage added for the fees if they are not included?
- why is the price not calculated for 1818 XF as well?

Regards
strato
For price, I remember that the normal values are converted and stored in euro. So everytime you look them up they are recalculated to CHF, every day at a slightly different exchange rate. I think it will also apply to auction values.
Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
The prices are computed in euros, and converted to your currency in the display.
If the EUR/CHF exchange rate changed between the time the sale was added and the time you look at the price on the coin page, there may be some difference.

Numista doesn't properly handle inflation rate; it works well only if euro keeps a low inflation rate. Numista doesn't properly handle historical exchange rates either, in case you add a sale from some months or years ago.

It usually take 1 or 2 days for the prices to be refreshed. That's why the no price was shown for 1818 XF. I just refreshed the prices for this coin and you can now see a price for that line.
By the way, I assume this was just an experiment and you will delete the duplicate lot 5030, right?

The other lines don't have a price, because you need at least 2 sales or 4 user values (or 1 sale and 2 user values) for Numista to show a price.

I've not settled about how to handle sales without buyer's premium. Adding a fixed ratio (like 17% as you proposed) might be an option.
Ira & Larry Goldberg Auctioneers are not in the list, but they are in the list of websites who gave permission to use their pictures. Can you add them?
Quote: "Essor Prof"​Ira & Larry Goldberg Auctioneers are not in the list, but they are in the list of websites who gave permission to use their pictures. Can you add them?
Please, can you add Soler y Llach? We have permit to use their pictures.
Referee for Spain, Hispania (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
The same for "Teutoburger Münzauktion". I've asked this in a separate thread but still no reaction. If you want us to participate we need the tools to do so.
Soler y Llach and Teutoburger Münzauktion have been added :)
Hello,
would be possible to add "Nomisma SpA" as auction house?
https://nomisma.bidinside.com/
Thank you
Hello,
Sorry for the delay. Nomisma SpA has been added.
Quote: "Xavier"​Hello,
​Sorry for the delay. Nomisma SpA has been added.
Hi,
thank you for that.
Hi there! Can we add Sotheby's to the list of auctions?
“Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”
Unfortunately, we don't have permission to reuse pictures of Sotheby's.
I guess you wanted to add this sale? https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2021/three-treasures-collected-by-stuart-weitzman/the-1933-double-eagle
That's unfortunate. I did want to add that sale since it's so historic. It'd be great if we could capture it here on Numista.
“Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”
Has anyone contacted Sotheby's?

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 08:35AM.