Mess in Bosnia and Herzegovina currencies (coins) [solved]

19 posts • viewed 216 times

This message aims at: requesting the creation or the modification of a currency or denomination in the catalogue

Upvotes: 2
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

Numista coins page for B&H lists Bosnian historical currencies as follows:
  • Suverena (1993-1998)
  • Second Dinar (1994-1998)
  • Convertible Mark (1998-date)

However, only Convertible Mark (Konvertibilna marka) is correct. The coins under "Suverena" or "Second Dinar" were not issued by Bosnian authorities and they were not a legal tender anywhere. "Second Dinar" existed, but it was only banknotes. Those are commemorative medals, minted by the UK Pobjoy mint, valuable and rare collector's items, but in my mind they are wrongly classified as separate currencies.

I can see there was some discussion about it on the forum previously, but it probably just fixed the banknotes section.
Dino
The word 'Suverena' means 'Sovereign' in the Bosnian language.

The Dinara medal-coins are non-circulating, as the value of the Bosnian Dinar went through the floor, along with the other former Yugoslavian currencies in the early 1990's.

Aidan.
As you rightly say, the second dinar was only issued as banknotes for circulation. Where would you place the dinara coins issued between 1993 and 1997?
Former Numista referee for banknotes from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Saint Helena.
Quote: "ceh2019"​As you rightly say, the second dinar was only issued as banknotes for circulation. Where would you place the dinara coins issued between 1993 and 1997?
​I'm not sure about dinar coins, but "Suverena" definitely shouldn't be listed there as a currency at all. Maybe all of that series belongs to exonumia, but don't take my word for it.
Dino
Quite frankly, I'd be happy putting the suverena in exonumia. The question is whether there was a link between wartorn Bosnia and the mint making them. If there was, they stay, if not, they go.
Former Numista referee for banknotes from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Saint Helena.
Well, the currencies are "fine" or rather, the correct ones are created, but there are still "old" ones which remain, because the coins are still there. It would be nice if we could get some high level clarification on the Suverena (and others in question) validity.

I will mark this as accepted, while the currency work in database is done, we should seek more info on the coins.
Catalogue administrator
Status changed to Accepted (Jarcek, 22-Jan-2021, 10:28)

Did this move forward?

Catalogue administrator

bdino74

Quote: "ceh2019"​As you rightly say, the second dinar was only issued as banknotes for circulation. Where would you place the dinara coins issued between 1993 and 1997?

​I'm not sure about dinar coins, but "Suverena" definitely shouldn't be listed there as a currency at all. Maybe all of that series belongs to exonumia, but don't take my word for it.

The Suverena medal-coins should be in a separate section under ‘Coins’ - like what has been done with the Dollar denominated medal-coins under ‘Sierra Leone’.

The Pobjoy Mint in England struck quite a few medal-coins in the 1990's for Bosnia-Hercegovina.

Aidan.

I found absolutely no source about this “currency”

We should remove it, and move coins to Exonumia

Catalogue administrator

I always wanted to get some info on this, and never found any. I would be for moving them until proved otherwise.

Catalogue administrator

There are also ECU-denominated medal-coins for Bosnia-Hercegovina as well.

The Pobjoy Mint struck them on behalf of the Bosnian Government in Sarajevo to help raise funds towards reconstruction of that country.

Aidan.

Jarcek

I always wanted to get some info on this, and never found any. I would be for moving them until proved otherwise.

I was able to remove the currency with SQL.

But dont know if I should try also to change category with it. Afraid to break something…

Catalogue administrator

I will do that by hand. :)

Catalogue administrator
Status changed to Started (Jarcek, 22-Aug-2023, 10:19)
Status changed to Done (Jarcek, 22-Aug-2023, 10:47)

Solved.

Catalogue administrator

What about 1 Suverena 1995?
It was not move to Exonumia?

Hercegovina

zdravko

What about 1 Suverena 1995?
It was not move to Exonumia?

Can you put the link please?

Catalogue administrator

1 Suverena (English Hack) - Bosnia and Herzegovina – Numista
1995 in coins