Silver coins, special ones?

9 posts • viewed 243 times
Hello everyone, I would like to know your opinion about the silver coins. I think that for many numismatists and Numista users, silver coins are something special.

Although there are silver coins of lower value than coins of other material, in many swap lists I see "silver x silver". I have also seen people whose collection is based almost exclusively on coins of this material.

Well, I wanted to know what opinion you have of silver coins, are they special for you? Are they part of your collection? Do you only collect silver coins? and indiscreet question that you do not have to answer, how many silver coins do you have in your collection?

Greetings everyone, Oscar
Coin referee for: Andorra
Banknote referee for: Spain and Andorra
Oscar,
A lot of collectors collect all different types of coins, for a variety of reasons.

Many years ago, circulation coins were made of silver, and were easy to collect, but sadly, that is no longer the case.
Therefore, most silver coins today are commemorative, and mintages are usually very low. In most cases around 10,000. This makes them rare and generally difficult to obtain, so, if you do obtain a silver coin you really wanted, it becomes special.
If you are lucky enough to be given a silver coin as a Birthday or Christmas present, that will also be special to you. My wife gave me a coin that weighs 5 ounces of silver. Special??? Definitely.

If you manage to obtain a small collection of a commemorative series, then that will look really amazing, and of course, be very special.

I know a few collectors who collect by theme, such as aircraft, so imagine having a small collection of those. Now you have aircraft and silver. You name something better!
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Quote: "oynbcn"​Hello everyone, I would like to know your opinion about the silver coins. I think that for many numismatists and Numista users, silver coins are something special.

​Although there are silver coins of lower value than coins of other material, in many swap lists I see "silver x silver". I have also seen people whose collection is based almost exclusively on coins of this material.

​Well, I wanted to know what opinion you have of silver coins, are they special for you? Are they part of your collection? Do you only collect silver coins? and indiscreet question that you do not have to answer, how many silver coins do you have in your collection?

​Greetings everyone, Oscar

For me silver of any kind is special. There are country's who have silver coins which are ugly but the value draws me to keep it. There are silver coins apart of my collection primarily British, Canadian, South African, and Austrian coins.....as well as others. I have over 30 silver coins, some of them in my collection and some of them in my investments.
Hello Oscar!

I completely understand your question as I had raised it myself. A lot of times when you look for swaps people will post a note with "special swap, silver for silver". And when I did not have any silver coins to offer of equal value, people were refusing to swap for coins of equal value but non-silver.

I never understood why but seems that a lot of people use this approach. Maybe someone else will explain it to us.

Yurii
I agree with all of you, for me a silver coin is always something special. In any case, it is difficult for me to understand why there are people who do not want to exchange a silver coin for one or more coins of another material if the value is balanced. I have "silver x silver" on my repeat list, but I have always been willing to exchange coins of any material for others of similar value. Maybe someone can explain their reasons to us.

In my case, I have quite a few silver coins in the collection, many of them inherited from my grandfather (especially Spanish) and many obtained in swaps here at Numista. I am close to getting 2000 coins, but in these there are some of the repeated years that I have in my swap list, so the number can increase ... or decrease if I swap some of them.

Oscar
Coin referee for: Andorra
Banknote referee for: Spain and Andorra
I made a similar question some time ago after swaping silver for non silver, may you like to read the thread searching for more reasons oynbcn 8)
Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
Have a nice evening.

It happened to me, although I'm not very precise on the value or I don't set a very big role for silver. I also like aluminum coins, mainly circulating coins, and I hate circus silver sold as collector's medals and tokens.

A long time ago, I wanted a rectangle 1 Pa anga - Tupou IV coin in my collection ( I love FAO coins for their depth of story)
a colleague SWAP chose an old silver coin for it , for me definitely cheaper so maybe in the middle of the price "Pa anga".
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces28351.html
I refused in principle -even though it was convenient for me already in principle, I will not exchange an old medieval honest silver coin for a piece of cheap metal.

Why: it's in the brain's head that way, given our history, it can't be taken otherwise!
Example: After the disintegration of Austria-Hungarian monarchy after the First World War , Vienna as the capital of the monarchy lost the coming winter period suppliers of goods, coal, food - there was famine and paper money, and copper had no value ,bank checks worthof millions.
But for the silver crown of Francis Joseph II -You could buy bread for your children , for gold coins also meat and everything for winter survival.
It just always worked in history and even today I get beer in the desert for a quality silver coin . But for our paper money, the beer seller would recommend that I wipe it off the back......
,, so for me it's in the subconscious and the psyche,,
Ivan
I avoided silver for a long time, because it is expensive, and it wasn't my objective to collect for investment by accumulating valuable items.
Now I have a handful of such coins, even a Mercury dime. They could be quite nice (in terms of design).
ūūūūū
While I don't see silver/gold as something special numismatics-wise (there are bronzes and coppers worth more than most "common" silver or gold pieces), there's the element of metal value involved when we talk of modern coins - while those made of cheap base metals are not much different from banknotes, ie. a simple IOY statement, silver /gold escape inflation or devaluation and retain their value.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:23.