Collecting Japanese coins

15 posts • viewed 322 times
Hey everyone,

I'm planning on collecting Japanese coins by type, starting from the Meiji Restoration. For example, I will be collecting a 1 yen coin from all eras such as the Meiji, Taisho, Showa, Heisei and the most recent, Reiwa. I understand that the 1 yen coin during the last 3 eras has the same design, but I do want to collect them, not by year but by type.

I have read the Numisdoc on Japan. Is there anything else I need to know before I start?
Hm, you could know that the 1 yen wasn't made for circulation since 2015 so you won't find a Reiwa yen outside of set as of now.
Quote: "Idolenz"​Hm, you could know that the 1 yen wasn't made for circulation since 2015 so you won't find a Reiwa yen outside of set as of now.
​Oh! I didn't know that. Thank you :)
That is a good plan for a collection.
the numismatic catalog is arranged by denomination, and you can check each one off.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Sure! Thank you :)
Hope you manage to enjoy your collection. I did collect those type of coins issued under the emperor regin. I think that hardest to completed for now is the 47 prefecture commorative 500 yen coin. But some of them are really nuts to collect. Like 1 meiji trade dollar is going for 800 onwards. So I hope you will be able to complete your collection. Below is a photo of how I am orginizing it and collecting it.

Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
In every field, there is the one or two pieces you will never have........
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
There are quite a few pieces in a Japanese type set where if I'd had the money I would rather buy a house with it, if you go far back enough (8
Quote: "Idolenz"​There are quite a few pieces in a Japanese type set where if I'd had the money I would rather buy a house with it, if you go far back enough (8
​Oh. Which one? Koban? My max is that 1 yen gold coin high dot for like 1000. Which is pretty sad for me...
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​In every field, there is the one or two pieces you will never have........
​True. Unless you are elonmusk or zb, or gates, or Warren buffet, if not wa ka ka ka....

Nevermind. Make 1 out of wood and stamp replica on it.
No, kobans are cheap compared to most obans but many can't be bought anyway even if you had millions there are simply non in the open market.
Quote: "Idolenz"​No, kobans are cheap compared to most obans but many can't be bought anyway even if you had millions there are simply non in the open market.
​Ya. Obans. Dam expensive. Don think will be able to touch it. See it can. But to me koban are consider too dam expensive.

Ist my coin also the High Dot variant ?
Quote: "Purzelgnom"​Ist my coin also the High Dot variant ?
​Well, I am not sure. But here is min a larger screen shot for compare. Seems like but I am not really sure.

Quote: "Purzelgnom"​​
​Ist my coin also the High Dot variant ?
Yes, this is a high dot variant. The dot of the low variety is less then the diameter of the dot from the rim.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 11:52PM.