USA: 1 Dollar "Peace Dollar", 1929 - REPRODUCTION

12 posts • viewed 258 times
Was this "reproduction" produced by the "officiel mint place" in Philadelphia as a test coin?

This is definitely not an attempt to fake a coin as _all_ indications prove it differently:

* Magnetic.
* Marked "Reproduction".
* Year 1929, which was a year where the official coin was NOT produced.
* Diameter approximately: 38.8 mm. as opposed to 38.1
* Weight approximately: 21.9 g. as opposed to 26.7
* Thickness approximately: 2.7 mm. as opposed to 2.4

So, I am wondering if this was a test coin produced by the officiel Philadelphia mint (no mintmark)?

no
https://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/910685_missing-morgan-and-peace-silver-dollar.html
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
That does not even look like the coin I have. The coin I have is identical (in looks) to a real coin in this series, except for the year and the text. "Reproduction".
Quote: "Fribert"​That does not even look like the coin I have. The coin I have is identical (in looks) to a real coin in this series, except for the year and the text. "Reproduction".
​You are missing the point and are drawing speculative conclusions that simply don't exist. What is a "test coin" anyway? A PATTERN coin is a trial coin that the mint proposes to produce that may or may not be approved by Congress. It would be made of the same material intended for that type, in this case silver and yours is not silver. No, the U.S. mint DID NOT mint ANY Peace Dollars in 1929 as a pattern or "test coin" or otherwise. Also there is a play on words. A COPY is an attempt to replicate an actual coin. A REPRODUCTION is an attempt to produce something similar to the original.
Ok, but you are also missing the point then!

Where, When and Why was this coin produced?
It was not produced as a fake-coin-attempt, so someone must know the origin and cause of the production of this coin.

I know that the (deceased) person that I inherited this coin from, got it in the 1960'ies when he
was working on american air bases in Greenland. So it must at least be older than that.
Only the people who made this reproduction know the motivation to produce it and that unfortunately we will never know.
Maybe...

But the word "never" is such a strong word...

And uppercasing in the phrase:
"No, the U.S. mint DID NOT mint ANY Peace Dollars in 1929 as a pattern or "test coin" or otherwise." is also a very strong 'commitment', when also specifying "Only the people who made this reproduction know the motivation to produce it"....

I will look in other places for an answer. It seems foolish to make such efforts to produce such a reproduction lookalike, without a purpose,
so I claim that it must be documented somewhere!
Let the truth be found!  :-)
I have no help but at least you know you're not alone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/numismatology/comments/fahvsg/does_this_say_reproduction_reproduccion_under_the/

https://www.tradera.com/en/item/220208/425789928/usa-peace-dollar-1929-obs-kuriosa-reproduction-#view-item-main

Also note it doesn't say "REPRODUCTION" it says "REPRODUCCION" which is Spanish.
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 22-Feb-2021, 07:14PM)
Quote: "rsirian1"
​Also note it doesn't say "REPRODUCTION" it says "REPRODUCCION" which is Spanish.
​Good eye. I didn't even bother to look that hard.
as to why, when I see an item made for sale, I believe the maker expects to sell them.
This is something like entrepreneurism.
this piece and the other I cited, show that that spirit to make something cheap and fake to sell to fanciers blooms in every marketplace.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​as to why, when I see an item made for sale, I believe the maker expects to sell them.
​This is something like entrepreneurism.
​this piece and the other I cited, show that that spirit to make something cheap and fake to sell to fanciers blooms in every marketplace.
​I think you nailed the why. The who and when is still a mystery. I found another forum on Coin Talk discussing this "coin" where the who and when is stated to be "Italian novelty coins made many years ago." Except "reproduccion" is not Italian.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1929-peace-dollar.294499/
Quote: "rsirian1"
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​as to why, when I see an item made for sale, I believe the maker expects to sell them.
​​This is something like entrepreneurism.
​​this piece and the other I cited, show that that spirit to make something cheap and fake to sell to fanciers blooms in every marketplace.
​​
​​I think you nailed the why. The who and when is still a mystery. I found another forum on Coin Talk discussing this "coin" where the who and when is stated to be "Italian novelty coins made many years ago." Except "reproduccion" is not Italian.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1929-peace-dollar.294499/
Italian would be ‘riproduzione’. The coin says ‘reproducción’, which is Spanish. Either way, it’s certainly not a pattern or a test piece...

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 12:51AM.