What is the best site for purchasing foreign banknotes?

15 posts • viewed 248 times
What is the best site for purchasing foreign banknotes, either on eBay or on the sellers site? I found a seller on eBay called 'noteshobby' in Thailand that had much of what I was looking for but, after I spent a great deal of time selecting over a hundred notes, they were charging me almost $500 for shipping... even though their site says they charge only $5 for up to 100 notes. I contacted them several times to request an invoice with combined shipping but they failed to respond. Most eBay sellers have their store setup to automatically combine shipping at checkout, but not this one. In the one response I received, they asked me to go ahead and complete the purchase and they would refund me the difference, but I didn't feel comfortable hoping they would refund almost $500.

So now I'm looking for another REASONABLE PRICED seller that actually combines shipping so I can purchase the world bank notes I'm looking for. Please let me know if any of you have a site you'd recommend based on personal experience.

Thanks so much,

Richie
Richard
G'day mate!
I can absolutely recommend "noteshobby" on ebay. A 500 dollar shipping fee sounds insane, but I believe you will have to ask him to combine the shipping, otherwise the shipping fee of each note will be added together. Click on "ask for total" (or something like similar), and he will combine the shipping fee to just one fee.
Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
I have had great luck with "banknotes2collect." They list modern higher denomination notes in weekly auctions on ebay. I have made 6-8 purchases with them an all been quickly shipped and well packaged. The only issue (shipped me the wrong note) was corrected immediately and professionally. I would highly recommend them if you are interested in modern banknotes.
It's not on Ebay, but banknoteworld.com is based n the US, while ehobbex.com is based in Lithuania (I think, it might be another EU country).
Both offer large selections of notes from inexpensive to expensive.
You could also try allensinc.com, another US based site that is part of a brick and mortar store in Westerville, Ohio.
Quote: "JRo69"​It's not on Ebay, but banknoteworld.com is based n the US, while ehobbex.com is based in Lithuania (I think, it might be another EU country).
​Both offer large selections of notes from inexpensive to expensive.
​You could also try allensinc.com, another US based site that is part of a brick and mortar store in Westerville, Ohio.
​These are great suggestions as a alternative to ebay. A common problem with US based sellers are that they only ship inside the US. That is really really annoying, and a great reason why I often chose not to even bother browsing their lists.
Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
I have bought from "noteshobby" with no issues. However, I do think you did the right thing to back out. I always kill a purchase if I request a total & a) don't get an immediate positive reply or b) time passes with no answer (just not worth it IMO).

However, I urge you to be extra vigilant of each listing (is it really the P# & series listed?) I used 'parmezat' in the past & found he had listed a 1984 Bahamas $1 incorrectly (wrong later series/wrong P-#). When I wrote him to warn him to revise -he did not revise his listing. I also had the same issue with 'asianbanknotes' who sent me a newer issue than the one I paid for. I have contacted about 1/2 a dozen sellers to request that they correct their listing details and only about 1/3 complied. I have also stopped buying from sellers who poorly packed their notes (too much tape/not enough hard cardboard to prevent bending, etc). I urge all buyers of world banknotes to carefully inspect their notes on arrival (be sure you're getting what you paid for).

Be wary of sellers who ADD THIS:
"The banknote you will receive may have a different serial number and signature. Please contact me if you want a specific prefix/signature. " Your note WILL have a different serial number (possibly different signature & these sellers usually don't have what you want so you might just pass on them). I have also noted that a few sellers will sell notes with brown/foxing spots (or other detractions) but still LIST the note as 'UNC.' These notes are not UNC!

I have reviewed a few eBay sellers I have had very positive/consistent transactions from on my Money Market page (scroll to my Dec 2020 entry) & feel free to PM me if you have any questions re: each.

Good luck!
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/collecting-banknotes
Quote: "Serial_Number_8"​Be wary of sellers who ADD THIS:
​"The banknote you will receive may have a different serial number and signature. Please contact me if you want a specific prefix/signature. " Your note WILL have a different serial number
​When I sell banknotes I, at least in 98% of the cases, phrase it exactly like that; You note may have a different serial number. This is because often the picture in the add is of a banknote in my personal collection. If i have 10 pieces of the same banknote, I don't want to take 10 different pictures. I never send a note with a different signature though, since this could mean the note has a different date of issue, and is therefore not the same note.

Even if the seller hasn't written You note may have a different serial number, I always assume it will be. In rare occasions I actually have recieved the exact note in the picture, I get very surprised. Then I have later found the same add, with then my note in the picture, which is a little funny. :D
Personally I recommend Ebay to buy notes but be wary of fake notes that appear occasionally on there so I stick with a sellers that You trust. Also mentioned earlier Banknoteworld.com is a good place to go to buy notes.

Finally a bit off topic you can go to your local foreign exchange shop and get most currency there if your after notes from Indonesia, Thailand etc.
Thank you all for the great feedback. I have perused many of the sites you all recommended and have made a number of purchases. I truly appreciate the wealth of knowledge in this forum and have come to rely on it often. Again, thank you all so much!

Regards,

Richie
Richard
Quote: "Serial_Number_8"​I have bought from "noteshobby" with no issues. However, I do think you did the right thing to back out. I always kill a purchase if I request a total & a) don't get an immediate positive reply or b) time passes with no answer (just not worth it IMO).

​However, I urge you to be extra vigilant of each listing (is it really the P# & series listed?) I used 'parmezat' in the past & found he had listed a 1984 Bahamas $1 incorrectly (wrong later series/wrong P-#). When I wrote him to warn him to revise -he did not revise his listing. I also had the same issue with 'asianbanknotes' who sent me a newer issue than the one I paid for. I have contacted about 1/2 a dozen sellers to request that they correct their listing details and only about 1/3 complied. I have also stopped buying from sellers who poorly packed their notes (too much tape/not enough hard cardboard to prevent bending, etc). I urge all buyers of world banknotes to carefully inspect their notes on arrival (be sure you're getting what you paid for).

​Be wary of sellers who ADD THIS:
​"The banknote you will receive may have a different serial number and signature. Please contact me if you want a specific prefix/signature. " Your note WILL have a different serial number (possibly different signature & these sellers usually don't have what you want so you might just pass on them). I have also noted that a few sellers will sell notes with brown/foxing spots (or other detractions) but still LIST the note as 'UNC.' These notes are not UNC!

​I have reviewed a few eBay sellers I have had very positive/consistent transactions from on my Money Market page (scroll to my Dec 2020 entry) & feel free to PM me if you have any questions re: each.

​Good luck!
​Thank you very much for your feedback. I messaged the seller several times and he kept telling me to use the buy now feature which, of course, is only available for immediate payment. After reading your feedback and mention of the 'Request a Total' option, which I wasn't seeing, I finally figured out the problem. I was on both my cell phone AND tablet and, though I was adding a number of notes to my cart, I could not see the 'Request a Total' option in my mobile devices. Only when accessing my cart from my laptop was I finally able to see the 'Request a Total' option. I did so and received an invoice shortly thereafter. So, again, thanks so much for your feedback... it was a huge help.

Regards,

Richie
Richard
"I was on both my cell phone AND tablet and, though I was adding a number of notes to my cart, I could not see the 'Request a Total' option in my mobile devices. Only when accessing my cart from my laptop"

- I really hope that if you (& anyone reading these posts) PASS on the PHONE and just use your laptop or desktop for all eBay purchases moving forward. You want to inspect the condition of the note b/c while some don't send the note pictured others do (& if the picture is less than UNC, ask). It's buyer beware folks! You also need to inspect the signature, serial number & know the subtle differences between one series and the next.

The many subtle differences between one series and the next will be very hard to detect on a phone.

Here are examples of just one note (ND or No Date, printed between 1984 & 2002) & each should be priced very differently. I have found several sellers with incorrect listings for these 4 alone:
1984 Bahamas P-43 (a often mixed up with b)
1992 Bahamas P-51 (sometimes labelled as P-43)
and 1997 Bahamas P-57 (which is very obvious with the older portrait) and even
with 2002 Bahamas P-70 (often mislabelled as P-51 but the SN are different)
Quote: "Serial_Number_8"​"I was on both my cell phone AND tablet and, though I was adding a number of notes to my cart, I could not see the 'Request a Total' option in my mobile devices. Only when accessing my cart from my laptop"

​- I really hope that if you (& anyone reading these posts) PASS on the PHONE and just use your laptop or desktop for all eBay purchases moving forward. You want to inspect the condition of the note b/c while some don't send the note pictured others do (& if the picture is less than UNC, ask). It's buyer beware folks! You also need to inspect the signature, serial number & know the subtle differences between one series and the next.

​The many subtle differences between one series and the next will be very hard to detect on a phone.

​Here are examples of just one note (ND or No Date, printed between 1984 & 2002) & each should be priced very differently. I have found several sellers with incorrect listings for these 4 alone:
​1984 Bahamas P-43 (a often mixed up with b)
​1992 Bahamas P-51 (sometimes labelled as P-43)
​and 1997 Bahamas P-57 (which is very obvious with the older portrait) and even
​with 2002 Bahamas P-70 (often mislabelled as P-51 but the SN are different)
I’ve been as of now avoiding notes online all of my notes apart from the Bulgarian one I have. The notes have been handed down to me most of them have been in our collection 30 years this year. So in my opinion be careful when buying notes from Ebay only from trusted sellers.
I have bought coins from "noteshobby" on eBay too on several occasions, without any problems.
Seeing that you, Richie, originate from the USA, I would be inclined to throw some money at a few of the excellent US based sellers. You may have fewer issues with delayed postage (in comparison with dealing with European/Asian sellers) especially during this pandemic.

At times, they may be slightly more expensive, but typically they're far better communicators (then some of the overseas sellers who also sometimes take weeks to get the package in the mail with no word).

Yuri111 & 1234note are both excellent communicators (who I reviewed on Notaphylic Culture) & have both sent me outstanding UNC notes that were well packaged immediately after payment. They usually have a wide selection of notes & combine shipping. I was often shocked at how quickly the packages arrived (so lots of peace of mind).
Quote: "Serial_Number_8"​Seeing that you, Richie, originate from the USA, I would be inclined to throw some money at a few of the excellent US based sellers. You may have fewer issues with delayed postage (in comparison with dealing with European/Asian sellers) especially during this pandemic.

​At times, they may be slightly more expensive, but typically they're far better communicators (then some of the overseas sellers who also sometimes take weeks to get the package in the mail with no word).

​I agree with you when I search for let’s say Caribbean and South American coins most of the time the lots are located in the US. But on some occasions some are from Europe which their postage was good. Going back to 18th December I bought a joblot of coins from island countries the seller was located in Germany and it arrived in the 2nd of January this year so inmy opinion stick with US sellers.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 05:29PM.