Elongated coins

25 posts • viewed 391 times

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Upvotes: 22
Downvotes: 21

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,

We had a lot of discussion about Elongated pennies over the years but I just realized that’s no one submitted an official request to add them to the catalog. We have now 2 good new features, 1 you can down vote a request and 2 we have now an Exonumia catalog.

so I would like to see these touristic items closely related to numismatic in our Exonumia catalog, why? Because they intend to replace touristic medals or banknotes.

We can argue they are post mint damaged coins, and in some way they are but, they are more, you use a coin to print a medal and that transform this old coin as a souvenir because you made it yourself.
Always look on the bright side of life!
I’ve always wondered about them but it is not limited to just pennies because several months ago I watched a video that there is a US Elongated quarter machine that flattens quarters and the person in the video was investigating the quarters that go into the machine because he put in the machine a silver quarter to see what happens to them.😢

Here’s the video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14bYI7mLBws
hmmmm....understand your position but if PMD coins are allowed as exonumia where does it stop? Weren't some painted coins just removed from the catalogue because they were considered PMD? Maybe I could add this coin. I call it a railroad nickel.
Quote: "rsirian1"​hmmmm....understand your position but if PMD coins are allowed as exonumia where does it stop? Weren't some painted coins just removed from the catalogue because they were considered PMD? Maybe I could add this coin. I call it a railroad nickel.

​Sorry but that's not my point, if you want this one to be added to the catalogue please submit a request.
I refer to Elongated coins, you can agree or disagree with the request but keep to subject please.
I quite like pressed pennies, and have a few of them...

Ignoring the argument about damaged coins: -

Another problem is you would have to catalogue designs rather than items, as the same image can be impressed on multiple different coins, often from different countries.

I have a Disney design on copper, brass and steel coins, they're all similar; but different colour, weights etc.

Not sure I would want to see them all listed separately based on the underlying coin, as they are all the same design.

It could get messy very quickly, Disney World alone has many hundreds of designs.
Quote: "inc7007"​Another problem is you would have to catalogue designs rather than items, as the same image can be impressed on multiple different coins, often from different countries.
This, plus that pressed pennies are PMD is the reason for me to downvote this request.
"Pecunia non olet", but I know better...
Quote: "inc7007"​I quite like pressed pennies, and have a few of them...

​Ignoring the argument about damaged coins: -

​Another problem is you would have to catalogue designs rather than items, as the same image can be impressed on multiple different coins, often from different countries.

​I have a Disney design on copper, brass and steel coins, they're all similar; but different colour, weights etc.

​Not sure I would want to see them all listed separately based on the underlying coin, as they are all the same design.

​It could get messy very quickly, Disney World alone has many hundreds of designs.
​Yes for sure it should be base on design and not on the donor coin.
In spain there is these machines in all corners and each machines have 4 different dies.
Can I ask, how you define UNC or VG with an eloganted penny (me too have some at home...).
LP
In my opnion elongated pennies are fully part of exonumia. They differ from other tourist souvenir tokens in their method of production, but they basically serve the same purpose. And for sure we should not differentiate based on the donor coin, but only on the design or type of die.
Now that we have a proper way to catalogue them, they could be listed on Numista. Let's see how the votes evolve.
I agree with Xavier.
there is even some history to some of them. Recently saw an auction with some Elongated pennies made between 1900 and 1910 if I recall correctly.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Quote: "apuking"​there is even some history to some of them.
​Yes, some have historic significance, ones as early as 1893.
As far as I am concerned elongated coins are simply PMD. That said, many people seem to enjoy and collect them so I wouldn't vote to deny them a place where they can list and catalog them. So I vote yes.
Yes, put a elongated Cent category, I think its a good Idea. We don't have pennies here in the United States. LOL.
David Arbuckle
Quote: "Arby"​Yes, put a elongated Cent category, I think its a good Idea. We don't have pennies here in the United States. LOL.
​Perhaps not for long my friend. It's not if, it is simply when.
Why would anybody be against it, this about having fun and trading, logging what one has. I really like the Idea of the Indian Cent ones, I think they are more unique same with the silver Quarters. I thought those came out awesome. Those would be fun to collect as well. Everyone needs to get over themselves who are against doing this. Most of the coins are considered junk coins due to their condition. Of Course its not a good idea to press rare coins. Have fun and lets put a category so we who want to continue doing this has a place to log them and trade them.
David Arbuckle
I hope this can be approved and I have already voted accordingly. I have some months ago put into the catalog an elongated 5 euro cent, but unfortunately it was not approved.
Hello.
In this case, would there be any reason not to accept enameled and gilded coins, hobo nickels?
Quote: "Cyrillius"​Hello.
​In this case, would there be any reason not to accept enameled and gilded coins, hobo nickels?
​For enameled or gilded coins they can be entered by a user comment but you can make a pole to integrate it, if you want.
Regarding hobo nickels as they are handmade an every piece is unique, I don’t see any way to create a catalog based on unique pieces.
But is this an objective reason not to include such objects in the catalog?

Or is there some reason not to include such objects in the catalog, also with a changed design?

I don’t mind elongated pennies (I don’t mind anything at all), but I’m sure we will meet with questions for similar objects.
Similar objects are probably also PMD coins with regard to being coloured:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces222232.html
LP
Quote: "Cyrillius"​But is this an objective reason not to include such objects in the catalog?

​Or is there some reason not to include such objects in the catalog, also with a changed design?

​I am personally not against it as far as it’s in Exonumia, but it’s hard to tell when it’s made by a company that do series or by a single person that like to paint his coins.
Personally, I collect these where coins when I can, not because I destroy a "worthless" 5 cent piece I have thousands of, but to commemorate going somewhere I enjoyed.

I see them as tourist tokens. And yes, you could say they can be seen as PMD, but I think that misses the point of them.

For example, Castle Hohenzollern has three different designs of Elongated coins, but it also has a machine that just gives a "normal" token for 2 Euro.

Now, why is one a token, and the others are post mint damage? They serve the same purpose in my opinion.

(note, this might be the worst photo I've ever uploaded, but it's 23:20 over here and I can't get my lights to work, so sorry bout that)

Can we just skip this PMD, it really sounds like a PMS and add these to the Exonumia database? If I may use those famous words "resistance is futile". There will always be people against it and others for it. It goes more in the way of this first party accepting it...
B)
Quote: "mikimaus"​Can we just skip this PMD, it really sounds like a PMS and add these to the Exonumia database? If I may use those famous words "resistance is futile". There will always be people against it and others for it. It goes more in the way of this first party accepting it...
B)
​At least, by the votes, we can see that the community is not as against it as it seems when we read the Forum (8
Quote: "swatdennis"​Personally, I collect these where coins when I can, not because I destroy a "worthless" 5 cent piece I have thousands of, but to commemorate going somewhere I enjoyed.

​I see them as tourist tokens. And yes, you could say they can be seen as PMD, but I think that misses the point of them.

​For example, Castle Hohenzollern has three different designs of Elongated coins, but it also has a machine that just gives a "normal" token for 2 Euro.

​Now, why is one a token, and the others are post mint damage? They serve the same purpose in my opinion.

​(note, this might be the worst photo I've ever uploaded, but it's 23:20 over here and I can't get my lights to work, so sorry bout that)

​Totally with you! I make my words yours.;)

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 07:31AM.