Your opinion on coin flips/holders stapled or self adhesive?

37 posts • viewed 1365 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hello/Hola/bonjour users of Numista

I know many similar topics exist and I’ve read most of them but I need a concrete answer. Because I’m going to buy flips/holders to store my entire collection as well as binders and pocket pages (which I already know which one to buy). I just need your opinions which one is best suited for me because I’ve read many pros and cons about each type, personally I’m leaning towards stapled flips but maybe your opinion might change my mind.

Basically I would like to know which one is best suited to me stapled or self adhesive?
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.
I use stapled flips, mainly because they are about 1/2 the price of the self adhesive and easier to purchase. But they do have a down side, which is the staples makes the surface uneven, which makes it hard to write on and makes it harder to slide in and out of the pages - because the staples sometimes stick to the plastic or get caught on the edge.
Bottom line is I would use self-adhesive flips if it was more cost effective for me.
I use self-adhesive coinflips. I have the feeling that my coins are more safe when the flip is completely sealed, but I don't know if that is really true. Also, I don't like the sight of the staples, it distracts from a beautiful coin :O
They say "Pecunia non olet", but I know better...
Quote: "JRo69"​I use stapled flips, mainly because they are about 1/2 the price of the self adhesive and easier to purchase. But they do have a down side, which is the staples makes the surface uneven, which makes it hard to write on and makes it harder to slide in and out of the pages - because the staples sometimes stick to the plastic or get caught on the edge.
​Bottom line is I would use self-adhesive flips if it was more cost effective for me.
​Thanks for the information it’s difficult to choose between the two probably I will go for staple flips for my collection and maybe self adhesive for my duplicates because then I will know personally which ones works best.;)
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.
Quote: "smvdbrink"​I use self-adhesive coinflips. I have the feeling that my coins are more safe when the flip is completely sealed, but I don't know if that is really true. Also, I don't like the sight of the staples, it distracts from a beautiful coin :O
​Hello smvdbrink

I guess it depends on personal taste because both types come with their own pros and cons.
What I’ve seen from other treads and spectate websites I found these pros and cons her is a few.

Stapled ones
pros
  • Cheap
  • Easily remove the coin
  • Wide variety of sizes
  • No glue
  • No harsh chemicals
cons
  • Staples are ugly
  • Little space to write information
  • Staples can rust over time
  • Staples can tear the coin page if taken out often
  • If stapled close they can scratch the coin
  • Prices for stapled can slowly add up if you have a large collection

Self adhesive
pros
  • Lots of space to write information
  • Air tight seal
  • Looks neat
  • Won't tear your coin pages
  • Easy to use
cons
  • You can’t remove the coin without breaking the flip
  • The glue may damaged the edges of the coin
  • More expensive and can add up if you have a large collection
  • On most self adhesive flips there is a lip on the top so those would stick out.
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​Stapled ones
​pros
​Wide variety of sizes
​​cons
​Prices for stapled can slowly add up if you have a large collection
Some can be made out of PVC
​​
​Self adhesive
​​cons
​​On most self adhesive flips there is a lip on the top so those would stick out.
​Some can be made out of PVC
For the stapled ones, the "Wide variety of sizes" is not a pro since the self adhesive ones have the same wide variety of sizes.
The "Prices for stapled can slowly add up if you have a large collection" is not a con. The price is a pro. That the prices add up if you have a large collection is exactly the same for the self adhesive ones, even more since they are more expensive.
If you weigh the pros and cons, it doesn't make much sense if you put "Some can be made out of PVC" in both categories, it's better to remove this.

For the self adhesive ones, the "​​On most self adhesive flips there is a lip on the top so those would stick out" is exactly the same for the stapled ones. And I don't know if that's a con, it's because of this lip it's easy to pull out the flips.
Quote: "Essor Prof"
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​Stapled ones
​​pros
​​Wide variety of sizes
​​​cons
​​Prices for stapled can slowly add up if you have a large collection
Some can be made out of PVC
​​​
​​Self adhesive
​​​cons
​​​On most self adhesive flips there is a lip on the top so those would stick out.
​Some can be made out of PVC
​For the stapled ones, the "Wide variety of sizes" is not a pro since the self adhesive ones have the same wide variety of sizes.
​The "Prices for stapled can slowly add up if you have a large collection" is not a con. The price is a pro. That the prices add up if you have a large collection is exactly the same for the self adhesive ones, even more since they are more expensive.
​If you weigh the pros and cons, it doesn't make much sense if you put "Some can be made out of PVC" in both categories, it's better to remove this.

​For the self adhesive ones, the "​​On most self adhesive flips there is a lip on the top so those would stick out" is exactly the same for the stapled ones. And I don't know if that's a con, it's because of this lip it's easy to pull out the flips.
Hello ​Essor Prof

Ok I will remove the PVC bit and just put it at the bottom because that can be in both types of flip/holder.
Quote: "Worldwide collection"
  • On most self adhesive flips there is a lip on the top so those would stick out.
The lip goes down in my albums, so that doesn't have to be a problem :)
They say "Pecunia non olet", but I know better...
Quote: "smvdbrink"

​The lip goes down in my albums, so that doesn't have to be a problem :)
​​
Thanks for the extra information.;)
The third option is not stapling them. I've been doing that and have had some coins that way for over 50 years without any noticeable deterioration. Doing it that was eliminates all your cons.
Quote: "rsirian1"​The third option is not stapling them. I've been doing that and have had some coins that way for over 50 years without any noticeable deterioration. Doing it that was eliminates all your cons.
​Hi rsirian1

Can you tell me how you do that please (with pics because I’m one of those who learn visually)
because I’ve read many other posts with things like sticky tape, glue stick or even just leave loose in the pocket page.
Nothing to show. Write info on flip, put coin in, fold, put in 2x2 holder.
Quote: "rsirian1"​Nothing to show. Write info on flip, put coin in, fold, put in 2x2 holder.
​Oh ok.🤔
By "2x2 holder" I meant pocket pages.
Quote: "rsirian1"​By "2x2 holder" I meant pocket pages.
​Ok, That means that you leave them loose to move around within that pocket and have chance to fall out.
Yep. Over 2000 coins this way and never had one fall out.
Is this a tread only, for the sake of posting something, again?
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
How big is your collection, or at least the part of your collection you really want to display, show, or feel proud of???

I am using self adhesive (black) lighthouse for the collections I like to show to some friends and family. the rest I don't care much how its stored.

The main reason I choose the above was based on the way it looked, I tried several options (trust me) and after different choices this was the one.

The black color is also a nice accent color to see the colors (metal,brass, gold) of the coins.

Note the first coin has a smaller size of staples No.10 probably you can find them locally or online, I will recommend you this type of staples as the are smaller and less ugly as you can see in the second coin, and last the third coin is how I store all the coins that goes to a nice album.

Good luck with your decision! I could also give another advice on albums and will be do not pick the largest ones e.g. Grande on Lighthouse specially if you have a good number of crowns or large size/heavy coins as the sheets don't do well with a page of +300 grams of coins...

Cheers
JustforFun...
I don't staple mine either. Just maybe need to avoid the really thin ones like a really old hammered coin, sometimes they can be too thin and move around and when I open a binder, it's disappeared out of the see-through area in the middle and is hiding in the corner covered up by the white cardboard. Never had one fall out as long as you leave the closed side on top once they're in the binder, but they can shift a little if they're too small or thin.
Quote: "JustforFun"​How big is your collection, or at least the part of your collection you really want to display, show, or feel proud of???

​I am using self adhesive (black) lighthouse for the collections I like to show to some friends and family. the rest I don't care much how its stored.

​The main reason I choose the above was based on the way it looked, I tried several options (trust me) and after different choices this was the one.

​The black color is also a nice accent color to see the colors (metal,brass, gold) of the coins.

Note the first coin has a smaller size of staples No.10 probably you can find them locally or online, I will recommend you this type of staples as the are smaller and less ugly as you can see in the second coin, and last the third coin is how I store all the coins that goes to a nice album.

​Good luck with your decision! I could also give another advice on albums and will be do not pick the largest ones e.g. Grande on Lighthouse specially if you have a good number of crowns or large size/heavy coins as the sheets don't do well with a page of +300 grams of coins...

​Cheers
​Here is a idea of how many coins need to be in a flip apart from some which I don’t know what to do with.

Photo 1 taken early 2021 before I placed them into food bags.

Example of how I’m currently storing them.

This is how I’m currently storing my higher grade coins.

Meanwhile back on topic
For the pages I’am leaning towards BCW 20 pocket pages but for flips I’m stuck in my mind I have a few options either Hartberger flips or Lighthouse flips both good European brands.

So Personally I would go for the stapled flip.
I use stapled flips but I also bought a special stapler that staples flat. But I also use a variety of other storage things. Saflips for some coins. I bought a heat sealer and seal the coin in the Saflip. Airtite capsules for some coins. CAPS albums that hold my half-dollar collections in the airtites. Binders with polyethylene pages that hold the stapled flips and Saflips. Tubes that hold airtites. Alot of my bullion type coins are just in the tubes that the mint uses. Cardboard coin boxes for the stapled flips, airtites, and Saflips.
Quote: "HappyHippo"​I use stapled flips but I also bought a special stapler that staples flat. But I also use a variety of other storage things. Saflips for some coins. I bought a heat sealer and seal the coin in the Saflip. Airtite capsules for some coins. CAPS albums that hold my half-dollar collections in the airtites. Binders with polyethylene pages that hold the stapled flips and Saflips. Tubes that hold airtites. Alot of my bullion type coins are just in the tubes that the mint uses. Cardboard coin boxes for the stapled flips, airtites, and Saflips.
That’s sounds good I would use plastic tubes probably if I ever get bullion or for rare coins to store in them but mostly I will use flips and maybe some Saflips because there quite expensive here in the U.K. for a pack of 50 so probably limited to high grade or rare coins.​
Quote: "Tovarich"​I don't staple mine either. Just maybe need to avoid the really thin ones like a really old hammered coin, sometimes they can be too thin and move around and when I open a binder, it's disappeared out of the see-through area in the middle and is hiding in the corner covered up by the white cardboard. Never had one fall out as long as you leave the closed side on top once they're in the binder, but they can shift a little if they're too small or thin.
I understand what you mean I know that stapled flips do not 100 seal and small or thin ​coins can escape. This would most likely happen to my U.K. decimal half pennies and if I come across a medieval hammered coin if it’s silver it would get “special” treatment and go into a different binder.
Hi!

If you're worried about the staples damaging the pages you should consider getting a flat-clinch stapler. That's what I use since it leaves the staples completely flat, they're not expensive and it's a one time purchase. Hope this info helps you out :)
Quote: "Balbino"​Hi!

​If you're worried about the staples damaging the pages you should consider getting a flat-clinch stapler. That's what I use since it leaves the staples completely flat, they're not expensive and it's a one time purchase. Hope this info helps you out :)
​Thanks.👍
I have always used pliers to flatten the staples, so a special stapler is not needed. This was a tip I received when I complained about the staples sticking out.
Quote: "madingman"​I have always used pliers to flatten the staples, so a special stapler is not needed. This was a tip I received when I complained about the staples sticking out.
​That would be easier and cheaper because at home we have quite a few pliers.
Quote: "madingman"​I have always used pliers to flatten the staples, so a special stapler is not needed. This was a tip I received when I complained about the staples sticking out.
​​That would be easier and cheaper because at home we have quite a few pliers.
​I used to use the pliers method to flatten staples, but if working with a group of coins, it can be time consuming, and also cramps your hands. I use a Max Flat clinch stapler which i've found to be really good. They are well made, and it seems that less effort is required when stapling flips, versus the non-flat clinch staplers. I use the medium size model most often. There is also a small size one, that takes number 10 staples, which is useful for the smaller size cardboard/mylar flips.
Quote: "Napoleon1"​​I used to use the pliers method to flatten staples, but if working with a group of coins, it can be time consuming, and also cramps your hands. I use a Max Flat clinch stapler which i've found to be really good. They are well made, and it seems that less effort is required when stapling flips, versus the non-flat clinch staplers. I use the medium size model most often. There is also a small size one, that takes number 10 staples, which is useful for the smaller size cardboard/mylar flips.
Thanks for the advice.;)
The collection of Worldwide collection
2750 coins • 122 countries • 127 issuers
» View the coins

45 banknotes • 19 countries • 19 issuers
» View the banknotes

20 pieces of exonumia • 6 countries • 6 issuers
» View the pieces of exonumia

I just wonder, why we have that thread again?

Yvon asked a good question:
Posted by yvon on 14-Apr-2021, 07:00PM
Is this a tread only, for the sake of posting something, again?
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Quote: "Sjoelund"​The collection of Worldwide collection
​2750 coins • 122 countries • 127 issuers
​» View the coins

​45 banknotes • 19 countries • 19 issuers
​» View the banknotes

​20 pieces of exonumia • 6 countries • 6 issuers
​» View the pieces of exonumia

​I just wonder, why we have that thread again?

(Clears throat calmly)
What is the meaning of the amount of coins, notes​ and tokens relating to this topic?

Also mentioned above is that I need concrete answers so I get the right equipment and things mentioned above.
To help you set up your business case:°
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Quote: "Sjoelund"​To help you set up your business case:°
​HaHA very funny.

Anyway back on topic…
My biggest issue with self-adhesive ones is they usually go bad after a few years if they aren't used.
I bought them from a few sources and some were actually new. Others? I could just throw 'em away because the adhesive went bad.
Quote: "swatdennis"​My biggest issue with self-adhesive ones is they usually go bad after a few years if they aren't used.
​I bought them from a few sources and some were actually new. Others? I could just throw 'em away because the adhesive went bad.

​Thanks for your advice. Personally I am going to go with stapled flips and maybe try self-adhesive ones on the side and let them circulate with each other to see which ones best.

I know the thread is pretty old, but I just wanted to bring some fresh topic to discuss. I'm going with self-adhesive flips but I noticed that their film is very-very thin and can be torn very easily. Even occasional touch against the film by something sharp or hard leaves a scratch that can be a hole. Also when inserting such a flip into a tight pocket the film stretches and becomes uneven (“waves” appear on it). On the other hand. Stapled flips' film is very strong and its very difficult to tear, and is scratch-resistant.

Any thoughts on this?

P.S. I use Lighthouse self-adhesive flips.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:10.