Upvotes: 0
Downvotes: 5

» Quick access to the last post

Peru km#223
it is not brass possible silver
0,1 thiner
same weight and diameter
the wreath is much farther from the border
I'm pretty sure it's not a variant, just PMD. Someone plated it with nickel or maybe silver for fun or for a schoolproject.
sorry to disagree
PMD plated coins are heavier and thiqher than original coins this is the same weight and thiner
and the wreath is 0,1 mm farther from the border
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1022.html

1950 => KM#223.4 (thick planchet)
1953 => KM#223.2 (thin planchet)

That part of the argument goes away. Platings can be extremely thin of the order of 1-2 mils (0.025-0.051mm) so weight and thickness are not significantly affected. That only leaves the "wreath is 0,1 mm farther from the border" argument which cannot be verified from your picture because of the angle of your picture relative orientation of the coins. Besides, 0.1mm isn't really "much farther" and could be due to measurement errors.
Observing closer it does not has AFP
I'm not really sure what the AFP is about. This shows the mintage for 1953 (no AFP) with AFP mentioned but no data.

Here's a picture of a 1953 and no mention of AFP.
https://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Peru_1953_5_centavos
Here's NGC's price guide with no mention of AFP
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/peru-5-centavos-km-223.2-1951-1965-cuid-1097412-duid-1544438
I think I found the AFP:

Also found this on the 10 centavos coin page:
I am confused
Peru km 223 5 centavos 1953 without AFP is in the catalogue or not?
To be honest, I don't know if two types of the 1953 were minted, one with the AFP mint mark and one without. Maybe another member knows. However, I'm sure that you don't have a new variant, just a post-mint plated one.
Quote: "rsirian1"​To be honest, I don't know if two types of the 1953 were minted, one with the AFP mint mark and one without. Maybe another member knows. However, I'm sure that you don't have a new variant, just a post-mint plated one.
​I also don't know, I have neither of them. I only know both are in Krause, but that's also no guarantee both exist. And I also know, like Sjoelund already said, it's often very difficult to see, especially when the coin is a bit worn. You've already detected the OP's coin also has AFP on the truncation. Luckily, sometimes it's easier to see:

Anyways, for the OP's subject, like we already said, it's just a post-mint plated one.
according to Peruvian Numismatic Socity you can have with or without AFP (Armando Florencio Pareja, grabador de la casa de la moneda de Lima 1929-1884.)
So we do have 2 types

Sent a note to referee to check.

Catalogue administrator

@alexandersp:

Let´s do some maths:

brass specific mass is 8520 to 8620,

silver is 10530

Brass coin weighs 1.85g, and is 1.2mm thick, I'm not sure if this measure is for thick or thin planchet

So, if it was brass thick planchet, thin should should weigh: 1.85g / 1.2 * 1.1 = 1.69g

taking heavier brass specific mass, silver planchet should weigh: 1.69g / 8620 * 10530 = 2.06g difference is noticeable, so there is no chance it is silver, even in a low fineness; copper specific mass is 8950, so even a .500 silver should be heavier than brass. Is possible it is plated; as said before, the plating is very thin, and would not add weight to coin, or also maybe it is plated with other metal; myself have plated brass coins with tin, and at sight is very similar to silver, maybe a bit darker.

About variant:

There is no notice on Krause of pattern or trial strikes of this coin, please note when a pattern is minted, usually is used the same planchet of the final coin, and when it is minted a off metal strike (trial strike), weight is different, and never are plated. Finally, being a so common coin, with 70 years old, if it were a variant, it should have been detected already, but there is no record on catalogs nor internet about a silverish variant. 

Looking closely your picture, on the reverse it seems reverse edge as brass color, like when a coin is plated and the plating is worn on the higher areas, also seems to have the same wearing on the number and letters.

I bet it is just a plated coin.

About AFP / no AFP lines, I think we can have both, if my co-referee agrees with it.

Just 10 options: you understand binary, or you don't.
Catalog Referee Coins, Banknotes & Exonumia: Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, Paraguay, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Panama, Ecuador, Zamunda, Parva Domus and more.

Good morning,

It also appears to me that the coin is most likely plated and not a variant. 

With regards to the AFP initials, I will add a yearline for 1953 no AFP.

Thank you all,

John

Status changed to Done (Compendium, 17-Feb-2023, 23:51)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:09.