Great Aussie Coin Hunt Mark 2

21 posts • viewed 976 times

» Quick access to the last post

Many of you will remember the first Great Aussie Coin Hunt which was all the rage here in 2019. 26 Coins of the alphabet with different Aussie Icons on them.

Well Australia Post is going to have another go. This is the new version.

The coins will be issued into circulation as change at Post Offices.

You can also buy the full set in a tube of 26 coins and get a push in album for them too.

If you buy the Tube of 26 coins, one of the coins (Letter G), might be a special coloured version. Possibly 1 in 5 tubes will have the coloured coin.

The country went crazy with it last time, I expect it will happen all over again.

If any of you have no idea what each of the letters represents just ask me on here.

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia, Papua New Guinea & Cocos & Keeling Islands Coins & Australian Banknotes. I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, NZ Sets, USA & Euros plus Misc Exonumia.
Quote: "brismike"​Many of you will remember the first Great Aussie Coin Hunt which was all the rage here in 2019. 26 Coins of the alphabet with different Aussie Icons on them.

​Well Australia Post is going to have another go. This is the new version.

​The coins will be issued into circulation as change at Post Offices.

​You can also buy the full set in a tube of 26 coins and get a push in album for them too.

​If you buy the Tube of 26 coins, one of the coins (Letter G), might be a special coloured version. Possibly 1 in 5 tubes will have the coloured coin.

​The country went crazy with it last time, I expect it will happen all over again.

​If any of you have no idea what each of the letters represents just ask me on here.

​Cheers Mike
Very similar to the U.K. A-Z 10p 2018-19 series I like the E, G, R and S the best.

Also like you said I expect people to go crazy and hoard them or sell them for silly money, the same thing happened here some of the A-Z 10p have a mintage as low as 60,000.
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.
Quote: "brismike"​​You can also buy the full set in a tube of 26 coins
How do I get my hands on one of these? :)
They say "Pecunia non olet", but I know better...
Quote: "smvdbrink"
Quote: "brismike"​​You can also buy the full set in a tube of 26 coins
​How do I get my hands on one of these? :)
​They will be available from the Australia Post online shop in May. Full set of 26 Uncirculated $1 coins and the album for $47. You can also buy them singly in a coincard for $3 each.

If you look at this coin you will get the idea. It is from the first set. ... https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces182501.html
Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia, Papua New Guinea & Cocos & Keeling Islands Coins & Australian Banknotes. I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, NZ Sets, USA & Euros plus Misc Exonumia.
Quote: "brismike"​They will be available from the Australia Post online shop in May.
Thanks!
As expected ... already available on eBay at a premium price!😲
Pic of the Folder with the Tube and the elusive coloured coin which will be found only in selected tubes. Will be available at Post Offices from 10th May 2021. How those ones are already on Ebay is anyones guess?

Today was the day of release for this "Aussie Coin Hunt 2". So I went down to my local Post Office this morning and bought 2 of the tubes that contain all 26 A-Z coins. The first tube I opened contained just the normal 26 coins. However the second tube did have one of the special Coloured "G" coins. So that was an excellent result as only 1 in 5 or 6 tubes actually have the special coloured coin.

I am now working on photographing all the coins and will be uploading them to Numista soon.

Regards Mike
This might interest some of you ...

https://auspost.com.au/great-aussie-coin-hunt?cid=edm:2483017:con:GACH2_hunt_collectable:LK20210503003#competition

Mike
Sadly unavailable for international posting. Ah well I’ll have to ask my nephew in Penrith to get them for me
In my Liverpool home
I have now added all 27 coins to Numista. Why 27 you might ask when there is only 26 coins in the alphabet?

That is because there was a mystery bonus coin included at random in some of the Alphabet coin tubes.
Some of them include a coloured Letter G for Great Barrier Reef coin instead of the normal uncoloured version of the coin.

I was very lucky this morning when I went to my local post office. I bought 2 of the 26 coin tubes and the second one I opened had a coloured Letter G coin. These are currently selling on Flea Bay for between AU$250.00 and AU$290.00.

Regards Mike
Quote: "Offa"​Sadly unavailable for international posting. Ah well I’ll have to ask my nephew in Penrith to get them for me
Australia Post for some reason does not allow International purchases, however ......

​If you order them from the Royal Australian Mint they will send overseas. They will also deduct 10% GST (VAT) from International purchases.
https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/great-aussie-coin-hunt-2-a-z-coins

You can get the set of 26 coins in individual coincards for $3 each (or AU$2.70 each international) So about £39 for the set.

Cheers Mike
I just bought two sets! :D
Quote: "smvdbrink"​I just bought two sets! :D
​Did you get them from the RAM?
Quote: "brismike"
Quote: "smvdbrink"​I just bought two sets! :D
​​Did you get them from the RAM?
​I did :)
Quote: "brismike"
Quote: "Offa"​Sadly unavailable for international posting. Ah well I’ll have to ask my nephew in Penrith to get them for me
​Australia Post for some reason does not allow International purchases, however ......

​​If you order them from the Royal Australian Mint they will send overseas. They will also deduct 10% GST (VAT) from International purchases.
https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/great-aussie-coin-hunt-2-a-z-coins

​You can get the set of 26 coins in individual coincards for $3 each (or AU$2.70 each international) So about £39 for the set.

​Cheers Mike

​thanks Mike all done
In my Liverpool home
Quote: "brismike"​Today was the day of release for this "Aussie Coin Hunt 2". So I went down to my local Post Office this morning and bought 2 of the tubes that contain all 26 A-Z coins. The first tube I opened contained just the normal 26 coins. However the second tube did have one of the special Coloured "G" coins. So that was an excellent result as only 1 in 5 or 6 tubes actually have the special coloured coin.

​I am now working on photographing all the coins and will be uploading them to Numista soon.

​Regards Mike
​Great outcome Mike! :D
I saw someone on eBay is selling five opened tubes for just below cost price ... guess they weren't as lucky as you were!
Quote: "brismike"​Today was the day of release for this "Aussie Coin Hunt 2". So I went down to my local Post Office this morning and bought 2 of the tubes that contain all 26 A-Z coins. The first tube I opened contained just the normal 26 coins. However the second tube did have one of the special Coloured "G" coins. So that was an excellent result as only 1 in 5 or 6 tubes actually have the special coloured coin.

​I am now working on photographing all the coins and will be uploading them to Numista soon.

​Regards Mike
​So Mike, you now have a second set that is incomplete. I hope that you are going to "hunt" around for a plain G to complete the set.
Merv
Quote: "Merv"
​​So Mike, you now have a second set that is incomplete. I hope that you are going to "hunt" around for a plain G to complete the set.
​Merv
​Yes Merv, I will be looking for an extra"G" to make my second set that had the coloured one in, to fill and make a plain set of 26.
Another great collection. Is there any reason why the letter 'G' was chosen to be coloured?
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Quote: "COINMAN1"​Another great collection. Is there any reason why the letter 'G' was chosen to be coloured?
​Hi Coinman ... Not sure why they chose the "G" to be the coloured one. Maybe because the Great Barrier Reef is full of colour? But the last series had a special privy mark on the letter "A" that was also at random and was found in about 1 in 5 sets. I think they do it to just increase the excitement of collecting them.

Kid here go crazy over this promotion by Aussie Post and it certainly gets them into coin collecting. I have a feeling this won't be the last time they do this.

The coins from the first series (Not the privy mark one) are now found in circulation quite a lot. When I noodle a roll of $1 coins from the bank I often find the ones from the first series.

Cheers Mike

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:28.