What do you do with spare/duplicate coins and banknotes?

26 posts • viewed 495 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hello

I guess a lot of collectors have this issue what do you do with spare coins and notes because I’ve got many spares logged here and several kg of coins mostly pre decimal pennies.

What can I do with and what you’ve done with.
  • Current circulating coinage and notes.
  • Coins and notes that have been withdrawn but either can be traded in or has collectors/ monetary value.
  • Coins and notes that are worthless.

I’ve thought of either selling them on Ebay but most of them are common and some don’t have any monetary value so I can’t trade them in at places such as Cash 4 Coins or Leftover Currency.
I mainly give my spares to my grandson for his collection if he already has them I sell them on eBay
Quote: "Offa"​I mainly give my spares to my grandson for his collection if he already has them I sell them on eBay
​I would do that for some coins but how about the rest?
Accumulating duplicate material was one of the reasons I chose a specialism, rather than collecting worldwide. It saves you space. Also saves you money on storage products (i.e. banknote sleeves).

My childhood philately collection is organised into albums, ectra, and is sitting in a large plastic box. I would happily give it away to an enthusiastic young collector. But young collectors are few and far between, sadly.
Quote: "Jupiter"​Accumulating duplicate material was one of the reasons I chose a specialism, rather than collecting worldwide. It saves you space. Also saves you money on storage products (i.e. banknote sleeves).

​My childhood philately collection is organised into albums, ectra, and is sitting in a large plastic box. I would happily give it away to an enthusiastic young collector. But young collectors are few and far between, sadly.
Hi

Putting coins and banknote into pages and flips (because Ive haven’t ordered themyet) will be reserved for non duplicate coins/notes and the spare ones at the moment are in bags ​and higher grade ones would probably be in a flip.

Here is some photos as a example.


Until early 2021 this is how I used to store my collection.

Now been organised into bags.

Example.

UK coins because I have a lot.

Bronze 1p and 2p collection slowly taking the best ones out of circulation some came from a world coin lot that was untouched since the late 80s.

Pre 2011 non magnetic 5p and 10p collection stored in a old biscuit tin.

Finally this is how I store my high grade coins.


Sorry for going of topic.;):O

So basically you just keep them in a box I know some would be sentimental value but how to you get any cash back from unwanted coins and notes?

Finally I know, there is far and few young collectors (late millennials, Gen Z which I fall into and early Gen Alpha) but in recent years there is a small rise of new collectors so now not all Numismatists are old people.
You could always make a swaplist of your extras and try to exchange them for coins you don’t have.

Matt
Quote: "Myeackle"​You could always make a swaplist of your extras and try to exchange them for coins you don’t have.

​Matt
​That is possible but who would exchange their own coins for common coins that it easier to buy somewhere else such as Ebay.
I have made quite a many swaps and will continue after covid situation is over. My opinion is that swapping is a very good way to exchange coins to coins I don't have yet. I'm happy to swap coins even making imbalance swaps. Why should I use money if I can swap and pay extra to eBay.
Quote: "Ollisaarinen"​I have made quite a many swaps and will continue after covid situation is over. My opinion is that swapping is a very good way to exchange coins to coins I don't have yet. I'm happy to swap coins even making imbalance swaps. Why should I use money if I can swap and pay extra to eBay.
​That is an idea but I’ll wait until this situation calms down in the future and my future career has been planned.
How about you stop with these posts until your future career has been planned? It would save us a lot of bullshit posts and frustration.
"Pecunia non olet", but I know better...
Quote: "smvdbrink"​How about you stop with these posts until your future career has been planned? It would save us a lot of bullshit posts and frustration.
​I don’t want to get into much detail of what that means, but here I go. I’m studying at the moment busy working on my chosen course (which I’m doing really well at) and on the side I’m thinking about my driving lessons (plus the hobby surrounding cars because that’s my favourite hobby) and the job I might get after doing College and university.

Thats why I’ve mention it as “future career” because I might get too busy to do other things such as my hobbies. Some have already taken a backseat at this moment in time due to this pandemic and my studies.

Also why are you frustrated when I post something this one particularly isn’t silly and the recent responses have been useful.


Plus about that “Flooding the forum” thing that was just a mix of ideas and unanswered question that built up in my head for the past year.


Finally I’ve not said anything rude or inappropriate to anger people and responded to criticism calmly and in most cases for example regarding a previous discussion about a user who critiqued the condition of my coins and instead of getting defensive I explained the reason due to zoomed in scans and poor lightning condition in which I took better scans of the coins to show the difference.

He and others even posted on that argument post and many other hate/ban posts that I responded calm and I have high enthusiasm towards the hobby and a good deal of knowledge.

Sorry to those who came here to answer to the topic and found this but anyway I’ll get back on topic.

Stay safe and have a good day.
M (Worldwide collection)
At first, there is nothing wrong with this topic. If you would just let people answer without writing a novel in response everytime! And even that wouldn't be annoying if the novel didn't look the same every single time! You continiously show the same pictures of what your collection looks like, you tell us all the time that you still need to plan your future, you're telling us about all the things you want to buy. It's the same story over and over again!

Don't get me wrong, I'm really not here to bash you every time, but no matter how many times you're told to change your behaviour, not just by me, but by other members equally, you still don't seem to understand how to behave on a forum! Stop trying to be the smartest, richest, most succesful kid on the block. You will get respect of the community if you act normal, but not like this.
"Pecunia non olet", but I know better...
Quote: "smvdbrink"​At first, there is nothing wrong with this topic. If you would just let people answer without writing a novel in response everytime! And even that wouldn't be annoying if the novel didn't look the same every single time! You continiously show the same pictures of what your collection looks like, you tell us all the time that you still need to plan your future, you're telling us about all the things you want to buy. It's the same story over and over again!

​Don't get me wrong, I'm really not here to bash you every time, but no matter how many times you're told to change your behaviour, not just by me, but by other members equally, you still don't seem to understand how to behave on a forum! Stop trying to be the smartest, richest, most succesful kid on the block. You will get respect of the community if you act normal, but not like this.
​For the first thing thanks for saying that, secondly what so I say instead of writing a novel?

About the pictures what other pictures should I post then? I can do individual coins and notes but I don’t need help identifying them in any way apart from 3 coins. Ok I would reference the “planning the future” bit less often I will know by the summertime what I will be doing.

Plus what you said about me the things that I want it’s just the curious me seeming other people’s collections and which ones I like and buy later on because I’m not going to surf the World Wide Web for things such as Silver proof coins from Panama.


What is wrong with my behaviour? I know that some people might discourage what I post there will be two sides (when I post something like this for example many members help me even some of the referees and admins participate and help me and others) on a post also I haven’t said anything offensive to anyone maybe even you and other members would agree on that.

Finally I’m not here to show off or assert dominance here I am a smart person (not the smartest here) who know quite a lot of things from cars, aviation to numismatic and other things. Plus I’m not rich (I’m just a enthusiastic, curious and knowledgeable late teen early adult) because I’m not showing off stacks of 500 Euro notes or 100 key date Morgan dollars. Third and final answer I’m not here to be successful or attempt to be although I would like to be successful at my job which is a different thing.

Good day
M (Worldwide collection)
Quote
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​Hello

​I guess a lot of collectors have this issue what do you do with spare coins and notes because I’ve got many spares logged here and several kg of coins mostly pre decimal pennies.

​What can I do with and what you’ve done with.

  • Current circulating coinage and notes.

  • Coins and notes that have been withdrawn but either can be traded in or has collectors/ monetary value.

  • Coins and notes that are worthless.


​I’ve thought of either selling them on Ebay but most of them are common and some don’t have any monetary value so I can’t trade them in at places such as Cash 4 Coins or Leftover Currency.
​You can send them to me for sure!
Quote: "smvdbrink"​How about you stop with these posts until your future career has been planned? It would save us a lot of bullshit posts and frustration.
​I have to agree, I am more than tired from this world-wide-colection-nonsens-seller.
Man, concentrate onyour future career indeed, and save your useless blabla for kindergarten.
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Quote: "yvon"
Quote: "smvdbrink"​How about you stop with these posts
​​I have to agree, I am more than tired from this world-wide-colection-nonsens-seller.
​Ever since this bullshit spamming started, I reduced my visits to forums by 90%
I am a Merit Badge counselor for the Scouts. We give some of our duplicates to the Scouts when they attend Merit Badge clinics or shows.

The Texas Numismatics Association also has a "Coins for A's" program. Youth submit a copy of their report cards, and an indication of what is of interest, and they are sent a few items of coins, tokens or paper money. (They can always use more items to give away for the program.)

It never hurts to help some of a new generation of coin collectors.
Quote: "Worldwide collection"
Quote: "Offa"​I mainly give my spares to my grandson for his collection if he already has them I sell them on eBay
​​I would do that for some coins but how about the rest?
​if he hasn’t got them I give them to him including his Kew Gardens 50p and queen Ann shilling
Quote: "Offa"
Quote: "Worldwide collection"

Quote: "Offa"​I mainly give my spares to my grandson for his collection if he already has them I sell them on eBay
​​​I would do that for some coins but how about the rest?
​​if he hasn’t got them I give them to him including his Kew Gardens 50p and queen Ann shilling
Ahh ok got it.👍
déjà vu
i have a unique/nice/valuable space where nice duplicates are saved... since i either build sets or collect by type.. i really dont run into third extras
Quote: "ebec89"​i have a unique/nice/valuable space where nice duplicates are saved... since i either build sets or collect by type.. i really dont run into third extras
​I understand the building a coin set/type bit but the main thing is apart from that what do you do with duplicates when they get out of hand?
You should put your duplicates on your swap list. You never know who among your fellow Numista members is looking for a particular coin. I find more coins I want on Numista than on EBay.
It is hard to search EBay for one particular coin that might be available for swap here on Numista. Plus, bulk lots are a total crap shoot - you might find some coins you want or you might get a ton of duplicates for what you already have.
Put them on my swap list.
Swapping with other collectors is the best way to maximize both you duplicates and your own collection.
Quote: "worth"​Put them on my swap list.
​Swapping with other collectors is the best way to maximize both you duplicates and your own collection.
​Agreed. I joined Numista for the sole purpose of swapping what I don't collect for what I do collect and occasionally purchasing coins from members where I have nothing of interest to them.

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 04:45PM.