Additions to your collection - May 2021

59 posts • viewed 1508 times

» Quick access to the last post

New month new additions.

Two Hong Kong $20 banknotes, both in good condition with one vertical fold. The bottom one is a surefire keeper (replacement prefix ZZ). I asked a friend about the top note and he told me it did not have a good serial number. So the top note is going back into circulation.

3/5 update:

Two HSBC $10 notes from 1947 and 1955
1957 Hong Kong 10c coin
1935 Hong Kong 5c coin

14/5 update:

Two Hong Kong 10c coins from 1967 and 1968

20/5 update:

1933 Hong Kong 1c coin
HSBC $20 (2016) with radar serial number 957759
Bank of China $20 (2009) with (sorta) fancy number - 388833
Gov't-issued polymer $10 note (2012) with the smallest serial number on any banknote in my collection yet

More to come as the month wears on; I'll make edits to this post accordingly.
"Life is all about being too wrapped up in the now to care about the future. When the future becomes the past, you start to regret what you've done."
"The bottom one is a surefire keeper (replacement prefix ZZ)"
Nice additions 'KS5331 Productions'!
I picked these up from my mail box this morning:

Fiji $2 (P-96b)

Fiji $5 (P-101a)

Fiji $10 (P-94a)
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/collecting-banknotes
Ireland: Silver Frosted Proof Ten ECU Coin (1990).

Composition: Sterling Silver (.925);
Weight: 28g;
Diameter: 37.5mm.

A work colleagues sister found these notes behind a fireplace in Scotland. Got 5 notes for face value & postage of £5.
I would like to thank the person who recommended yuri111 (ebay). Got some amazing UNC notes.
These from Indonesia - Fractional set (UNC) are my favourite.
Nice fractional set 'BlueHawk.' Yuri111 has always been very helpful for me. 1234Note is also a major seller back in action & that's where I picked up my Fijian examples. Also nice to get those 3 Scottish notes for FV (great score). My 'insert image' function is not working: otherwise I'd post a few others from 1234note.
First ancient coin!

(photos from the NumisCorner listing)
Ancient Greece - Macedonia - Thessaloniki
Bronze Æ13 (most examples are closer to 18) - minted around 187 - 31 BCE

Not the most impressive coin, but I'm still quite happy.
"Be kind, rewind."

Numista referee for banknotes from Greece, Crete & the Ionian Islands.
Quote: "Serial_Number_8"​Nice fractional set 'BlueHawk.' Yuri111 has always been very helpful for me. 1234Note is also a major seller back in action & that's where I picked up my Fijian examples. Also nice to get those 3 Scottish notes for FV (great score). My 'insert image' function is not working: otherwise I'd post a few others from 1234note.
​Thanks for the recommendation Serial_Number_8.
He combined postage and prompt delivery as well.
Will check out 1234Note
I am adding this irisade (you may not be able to see the colors) 5 Mils to my collection

Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
I received Angolan and Dane coins! :)

Lucas Henrique Lima Verde
- your welcome 'BlueHawk.' Good to hear 'Yuri111' provided the notes/service you were after.

Here's a couple more larger format examples I picked up from 1234note this month:

10 Dinars, a very attractive (& inexpensive) P-9b note from the Democratic Republic of Yemen (no longer in existence) &:

50 Pesetas P-75b from Spain. I really like the serial number on this one.
Can't believe this. I received this Canada $5 "Journeys" this morning:

which I grade AU. Nobody, including myself, had noticed that it is a replacement note, so I got it for $1.59 above face value. The funny thing is that I don't actually care about replacement notes now that they are indistinguishable from regular notes.

Also received today:

₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Serial_Number_8 - 76 77 78, NICE.

Camerinvs - the BoC $1 notes are delightful.
Thx BluHawk,

It took me some time to finally get a French 1935 $1 note. Usually, they go above trend, but I got this one at about trend value; I was actually a little surprised it didn't go higher.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Arrived Wednesday Charles I Group III Third Horsman Aberystwyth Half Crown the only one I have seen so far.

Not Bad for 490+ Years Old what Stories could it tell I wonder.
Quote: "Ian P"​Arrived Wednesday Charles I Group III Third Horsman Aberystwyth Half Crown the only one I have seen so far.

​/nīs/ :8D
Quote: "Camerinvs"​Thx BluHawk,

​It took me some time to finally get a French 1935 $1 note. Usually, they go above trend, but I got this one at about trend value; I was actually a little surprised it didn't go higher.
So true (rarely do French 1935's go for trend). With only 15M printed (compared to over 60M of the English version) it is no wonder. Unfortunately, they're a pretty hot item & tough to buy in higher grades.

I waited 2-3 years to buy my French $1.00 Also- still waiting to get an English $1 (believe it or not)​. I have a few but not in the condition I want for my private collection.

Your 1937 $1 is perfectly centered (like a gem) 'Camerinvs' & great score on insert replacement (whether you intended to get it or not!) Oh & thanks 'BlueHawk.'
Quote: "Ian P"​Arrived Wednesday Charles I Group III Third Horsman Aberystwyth Half Crown the only one I have seen so far.

​Looks a lot like mine, Crown mintmark - similar for 1635/36 Tower Mint. Seriously I think our coins are twins.

Mine is 1635/36 and Tower Mint.

Just one niggle - 490+ years would take it back to 1531, 1643 was 378 years ago.
I love coins
Quote: "Serial_Number_8"​So true (rarely do French 1935's go for trend). With only 15M printed (compared to over 60M of the English version) it is no wonder. Unfortunately, they're a pretty hot item & tough to buy in higher grades.

​I waited 2-3 years to buy my French $1.00 Also- still waiting to get an English $1 (believe it or not)​. I have a few but not in the condition I want for my private collection.

​Your 1937 $1 is perfectly centered (like a gem) 'Camerinvs' & great score on insert replacement (whether you intended to get it or not!) Oh & thanks 'BlueHawk.'
​So, there should be about 1 French to every 4 English 1935 $1 notes on the market, but to me it looks more like 1 to 10...

My 1937 $1 was unfortunately folded quite sharply in the center. Otherwise, it's quite crisp.
Quote: "Moneytane"
​​
​​ Not Bad for 490+ Years Old what Stories could it tell I wonder.
​​Looks a lot like mine, Crown mintmark - similar for 1635/36 Tower Mint. Seriously I think our coins are twins.

​Mine is 1635/36 and Tower Mint.

​Just one niggle - 490+ years would take it back to 1531, 1643 was 378 years ago.

My first silver coin and also my first coin from the 19th century
an 1893 3 pence
Hi there! I am an inexperienced collector with an interest in a lot of coins
Quote: "Goutham Sivasailam"

​My first silver coin and also my first coin from the 19th century
​an 1893 3 pence
​Welcome your QV Silver 3p is a good start to inexpensive way to collect these little Silver Coins as in used Condition they are inexpensive and very interesting but Maundy Issues can be Very Expensive unless you are lucky just keep looking I recommend a Copy of Spink coins of England and the United Kingdom it can be an older Copy as these will be a lot Cheaper and it will tell you Year by Year what the Difference's are.

This is a 1937 Maundy set 1p 2p 3p and 4p along with the Standard Issue 3p the Reverse of the Standard 3p is Different that the Maundy Issue
Full 1937 Proof set with full Maundy set for that Year.
Ian.
Yep, I would like to collect other relatively cheap silver coins but from tomorrow we are going to have a lockdown in the state I live in (Tamil Nadu) in India

Nice set Ian P and Jupiter.

Yes always good to start on silver, my start with silver was the half silver coins of my own country. In average condition, they were cheap and plentiful, but great as you are holding real silver - a precious metal.

As you all know now - this silver obsession got way out of hand ages ago - some 5kg of it and $10k or more later!
I love coins
Hi colleagues.
The lady brought the envelope from the post office half an hour back . In another thread here today was the question of what shipments you receive from abroad -so i took it right away mobile photo.
They're from a neighboring state, which coins I wanted, so they overtook me at the auction, and I only took it as a supplement to the envelope. sometimes it happens, however, I will give it somewhere anyway. Mint of the same Kremnica-KB ( coins they still make, I was there in the museum)
Father and son, quality as I wrote today as from the Middle Ages .

Ivan
A new gothic florin (1884) arrived this morning.
Quote: "Gothic Florin"​A new gothic florin (1884) arrived this morning.

:love:
ROMAE AETERNAE

Morocco, 10 dirhams, 1911
Got 2 nice french royal tokens from the 18th century:
1723 token celebrating the coronation of King Louis XV.:

Token from the early reign of King Louis XVI. celebrating his public building efforts:
Quote: "Gothic Florin"​A new gothic florin (1884) arrived this morning.

​Wow! Just stunning!

My own latest purchase

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces12503.html

A very nice example of a scarce coin!
I love coins
This coin arrived all the way back on the first of April
Sorry for the awful pictures

1672 West Friesland Disaster Ducat -

This one also arrived in April
1834 Peru LIMAE MM 8 Reales - Graded VG-8 by CCGS

These last two arrived in May
1648 Dutch Republic Utrecht Leeuwendaalder - The important year in which both the 30 and 80 Year Wars ended, and Spain recognized the independence of the Dutch Republic

And finally, an 1682/1 Great Britain Crown with the QVRRTO (QVARTO over TERTIO) edge error - a very tough coin to find in this grade

New addition: Pudukkottai kasu coin :)
Turi

https://www.instagram.com/my_world_coins_collection
Lots of nice things above ↑↑↑.

I got this at the bank machine:

Now you may think it's just a regular circulating $50 note. Yes, it is, but in a few years from now this particular series may be a little more difficult to get. This is because the combination of signatures Wilkins/Macklem corresponds to a very short period of six months from June 3rd (when Macklem started as Governor) to December 9th (when Wilkins stepped down as Senior Deputy Governor). It looks like only fives and fifties were issued during this period.

Macklem's term will normally end on June 2nd 2027. I don't think a new Senior Deputy Governor has been appointed yet.

I have two consecutive notes, in Unc condition, but may well put one of them back in circulation if they turn out to be common enough.
10 Keping coin from Kelantan
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces63447.html

Quote: "AgIsSilver"​This coin arrived all the way back on the first of April
​Sorry for the awful pictures

1672 West Friesland Disaster Ducat -

​This one also arrived in April
1834 Peru LIMAE MM 8 Reales - Graded VG-8 by CCGS

​These last two arrived in May
​1648 Dutch Republic Utrecht Leeuwendaalder - The important year in which both the 30 and 80 Year Wars ended, and Spain recognized the independence of the Dutch Republic

​And finally, an 1682/1 Great Britain Crown with the QVRRTO (QVARTO over TERTIO) edge error - a very tough coin to find in this grade

​Those are great, and is that Leopold the Hogmouth as your avatar?
I love coins

New coin: Biafra :wiz:
Turi

https://www.instagram.com/my_world_coins_collection
Quote: "Moneytane"​​Those are great, and is that Leopold the Hogmouth as your avatar?
​It is
Groovy! The ultimate example of Habsburg inbreeding after poor Carlos 2 of Spain!

My latest buy in covers familiar territory and some new interests.

South African crown from 1960 - the last of the Union and just before the Republic - UNC

NZ 6d gVF 1933 first year and not cleaned for once!

My first new branching into Fijian silver and a Edward VIII penny!

UNC and suprisingly not that rare like the New Guinea penny. I think some African colony also did a E8 coin and like this, no portrait just words or a Cypher.

1938 Shilling, high VF

1943S Florin gEF but weak strike on Lion. Unlike other Fijian earlies, this is 90% silver rather than 50%
as it was minted in the USA.
I love coins

​UNC and suprisingly not that rare like the New Guinea penny. I think some African colony also did a E8 coin and like this, no portrait just words or a Cypher.

​Nice find. I've attached a table of the mintages of all of the Edward VIII coins that actually went into circulation. The Fiji penny is the rarest one by far. I love the history behind them and I'm aiming to get at least one example of each colonial Edward VIII coin. I was lucky to get to handle a 1937 British pattern penny a couple of years back, but these are the closest a normal collector can get to owning an Edward VIII coin.

I think there are also at least two Indian states that issued coins with Edward VIII's name on them.

The table is from a short booklet called 'The Proposed Coinage of King Edward VIII'. It was produced shortly after the Edward VIII patterns were rediscovered in the 1970s. Well worth a read if you are interested in the topic.
These are the Edward VIII coins from India:

Jodhpur ¼ anna KM 131
Jodhpur ¼ anna KM 132
Jodhpur ¼ anna KM 133
Jodhpur ½ mohur JL 16.02
Jodhpur 1 mohur KM 140
Kutch 3 dokda Y 63
Kutch1 kori Y 65
Kutch 2½ kori Y 66
Kutch 5 kori Y 67
Jaipur 1 nazarana paisa KM 167

I think it's complete, but please let me know if any is missing.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​These are the Edward VIII coins from India:

​Thanks a lot for the list. Now I know what to keep my eye out for.
And here is a new note that was in my mailbox this morning (between two pieces of wood paneling!).

The Agricultural Bank was a charter bank based in Toronto, Upper Canada. This note, redeemable in Montreal, was issued on December 1st 1835. On the back one can read: "... Protested for non payment this fifth of December 1837 ...". The bank had just been liquidated in November 1837.

But "2" what? They omitted the denomination, which seems quite important. It's obviously US $2, the American dollar being the most usual currency in the two Canadas, and then the unified province of Canada. As a matter of fact, about two decades later, the dollar, not sterling, was adopted as the new provincial currency.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​And here is a new note that was in my mailbox this morning (between two pieces of wood paneling!).

​The Agricultural Bank was a charter bank based in Toronto, Upper Canada. This note, redeemable in Montreal, was issued on December 1st 1835. On the back one can read: "... Protested for non payment this fifth of December 1837 ...". The bank had just been liquidated in November 1837.

​But "2" what? They omitted the denomination, which seems quite important. It's obviously US $2, the American dollar being the most usual currency in the two Canadas, and then the unified province of Canada. As a matter of fact, about two decades later, the dollar, not sterling, was adopted as the new provincial currency.
Nice note ​Camerinvs.
Thanks for the Edward VIII list
Quote: "Camerinvs"​And here is a new note that was in my mailbox this morning (between two pieces of wood paneling!).

​The Agricultural Bank was a charter bank based in Toronto, Upper Canada. This note, redeemable in Montreal, was issued on December 1st 1835. On the back one can read: "... Protested for non payment this fifth of December 1837 ...". The bank had just been liquidated in November 1837.

​But "2" what? They omitted the denomination, which seems quite important. It's obviously US $2, the American dollar being the most usual currency in the two Canadas, and then the unified province of Canada. As a matter of fact, about two decades later, the dollar, not sterling, was adopted as the new provincial currency.
​Nice piece to add to your collection! It reminds me of those 10,000 dollar notes used for exchanging gold from pawn stars
What a nice addition to your collection! These are really tough finds.

Thanks for providing the text for what was written on the backside of the note. It is often tough to read the old handwriting.
Here's another image of your 10 Shilling Agricultural banknote. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks guys.

Fun fact ─ The Agricultural Bank was the first bank in Canada to offer interests on deposits. This is a little surprising given that interest rates were already a thing in the Greek and Roman worlds. The Romans normally had interest rates of ½%/month for 6% annual returns ─ at least from the time of Caesar's dictatorship when the calendar was finally fixed.

EDIT ─ Oh, I saw your post after I posted this one, Serial_Number_8. Thanks for the other image which has the same signature as mine on the back, but not the text. By the way, I can't read all the rest after "1837", but here is what I have: "Protest ... 7/6 ...". I suppose someone got 7 shillings and 6 pence for their 10 shilling note.
Quote: "Camerinvs"... By the way, I can't read all the rest after "1837", but here is what I have: "Protest ... 7/6 ...". I suppose someone got 7 shillings and 6 pence for their 10 shilling note.
​Sorry for the offtopic; I am not a guru on photoshop (I dont have it either) but I know some ways to enhance old documents. I leave you a photo that may help you to read the text better:

As far as I can read, I guess:

"SIGNATURE XXX for non payment this XXX of december 1837 XXX XXX XX 7/6 SIGNATURE".

You probably will be able to get the rest or amend my transcription :°
Quote: "klei92"
​As far as I can read, I guess:

​"SIGNATURE XXX for non payment this XXX of december 1837 XXX XXX XX 7/6 SIGNATURE".

​You probably will be able to get the rest or amend my transcription :°
​Thanks, klei92. Yes, this is clearer. I saved your picture (I do such upgrades in PowerPoint since I don't know Photoshop).

Yet, further up, I had already provided a transcript after the first signature: "Protested for non payment this fifth of December 1837. Protest ____ __ 7/6"

The first missing word looks like "copies" but after what looks like "co..." I don't rule out an old style double "s"; and then a short word, but "of" doesn't seem to fit.

EDIT 1 ─ I should add that the phrase "protested for non payment" is common in this context of bills of exchange.

EDIT 2 ─ The notion of copies of a protest is discussed in this book from the same period, so "copies" is very likely.

EDIT 3 ─ The Bank of Canada Museum holds 19 notes of this bank and also of a spurious/phantom bank of the same name.
Coin sets of Hungary 2021

It is clear it is for non-payment but I was just wondering if it
could also be related to one of the Rebellions of 1837? Compensations were often paid for the damages to properties (7/6 could be July 6th or the 7th of June). Many of the protestors wanted to be sure that they were doing things by the book (there was a Dr. Rolf involved & other upstanding citizens) since politically speaking- things were a mess back then. Money was truly scarce from 1814 (after the war) right till 1850's I believe. It would be great to know.
Quote: "cmaclean"
​​
​​UNC and suprisingly not that rare like the New Guinea penny. I think some African colony also did a E8 coin and like this, no portrait just words or a Cypher.
​​

​​Nice find. I've attached a table of the mintages of all of the Edward VIII coins that actually went into circulation. The Fiji penny is the rarest one by far. I love the history behind them and I'm aiming to get at least one example of each colonial Edward VIII coin. I was lucky to get to handle a 1937 British pattern penny a couple of years back, but these are the closest a normal collector can get to owning an Edward VIII coin.

​I think there are also at least two Indian states that issued coins with Edward VIII's name on them.

​The table is from a short booklet called 'The Proposed Coinage of King Edward VIII'. It was produced shortly after the Edward VIII patterns were rediscovered in the 1970s. Well worth a read if you are interested in the topic.
​Thanks for that info. Fiji was a small colony (about 300k people in 1936) and 120k was a reasonable mintage for a coin there then! I have some other coins like the 1941 Halfpenny and 1938 Shilling in which only 40k were minted.

In fact a coin there with a mintage of 1 million or more was considered huge. Even more bizarre was that 1936 Fijian pennies were also issued in the name of George V as well!

Also have the New Guinea Penny as well, this is also holed but bronze.

EF - AU despite slight stains.
I love coins
Quote: "Serial_Number_8"​It is clear it is for non-payment but I was just wondering if it ​could also be related to one of the Rebellions of 1837? Compensations were often paid for the damages to properties (7/6 could be July 6th or the 7th of June). Many of the protestors wanted to be sure that they were doing things by the book (there was a Dr. Rolf involved & other upstanding citizens) since politically speaking- things were a mess back then. Money was truly scarce from 1814 (after the war) right till 1850's I believe. It would be great to know.
​I think you might be right about 7/6. I had assumed it wasn't a date but if it is, it would probably be June 7th (according to British custom, rather than July 6th). I would like the small word before to be "due", so: "Protest copies due 7/6", obviously of current year, i.e. 1838.

There is some info about the bank in this Directory. Check page 260 of the PDF. Henry J. Hensleigh, who is one of the signatories on the printed side, is listed on page 274 of the PDF (= 36).

Also, see pages 7─8 of the PDF (= 8-9) on currencies and interest rates.
They arrived today!
Democratic Republic of Congo, Latvia and Myanmar ^^

Quote: "KS5331 Productions"

1933 Hong Kong 1c coin
HSBC $20 (2016) with radar serial number 957759
Bank of China $20 (2009) with (sorta) fancy number - 388833
​Gov't-issued polymer $10 note (2012) with the smallest serial number on any banknote in my collection yet

​More to come as the month wears on; I'll make edits to this post accordingly.
I like the one with the building on it.​
Hi to whoever is reading this. Did you know that TYPEWRITER (on a QWERTY keyboard) is the longest word you can type using only the letters on one row of the keyboard.
Quote: "Moneytane"​​​​Also have the New Guinea Penny as well, this is also holed but bronze.​

​I have all the Edward VIII types from that catalog page except the Fiji one. Here's my New Guinea Penny:

It arrived today, Tuvalu dollar! Owo

A couple more florins arrived over the past week (from different sources):

Some interesting pieces for the end of the month :)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:54.