Christiania flag

24 posts • viewed 415 times

This message aims at: requesting the creation or the modification of a country in the catalogue

Upvotes: 10
Downvotes: 1

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,

Can we add the Christiania flag to our database?
For these coins.
Always look on the bright side of life!
Topic moved to "Numista coin catalog" (Xavier, 10-May-2021, 15:43)
I know the discussion has been up before, but really, shouldn't these be under Exonumia --> Fantasy currency?
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"​I know the discussion has been up before, but really, shouldn't these be under Exonumia --> Fantasy currency?
​Good point! But that doesn’t matter so much for the flag, even if it’s move to Exonumia, the flag can be use there :-)
Quote: "Indomini16"
Quote: "ngdawa"​I know the discussion has been up before, but really, shouldn't these be under Exonumia --> Fantasy currency?
​​Good point! But that doesn’t matter so much for the flag, even if it’s move to Exonumia, the flag can be use there :-)
​Yes, of course the flag should be added. But now they can move the coins at the same time. :)
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "Indomini16"
​​​Good point! But that doesn’t matter so much for the flag, even if it’s move to Exonumia, the flag can be use there :-)
​​Yes, of course the flag should be added. But now they can move the coins at the same time. :)
​For me it all depends on the definition we make of a Micronation because as they are already separated from the normal country in the coin catalog I don’t have problem to have them listed here. What should be discussed it’s why for coins, some Micronation are in the coin catalog when others are in the Exonumia one.
Quote: "Indomini16"​​For me it all depends on the definition we make of a Micronation because as they are already separated from the normal country in the coin catalog I don’t have problem to have them listed here. What should be discussed it’s why for coins, some Micronation are in the coin catalog when others are in the Exonumia one.
​I reckon they fit in Exonumia, together with the other Christiana coins.

Otherwise they could fit in either category:
Local administration tokens
Tourist souvenirs
Quote: "Indomini16"​​What should be discussed it’s why for coins, some Micronation are in the coin catalog when others are in the Exonumia one.
​Different catagories have different criteria. For Micronations to be listed in the Coins/Banknotes sections, the criterion was:
  • If the place managed to ge their coins/banknotes to actually circulate, they can be listed in the Coins/Banknotes sections.

The majority of Micronations would fail this criterion, which means their items would be listed in the Exonumia section (as fantasies). However, it seems our list still needs some work to more accurately fit this criterion--while Christiania did manage to get their banknotes to circulate (I am not sure about their coins), we could move Sealand to Exonumia, for example.

And with that being said, with the addition of a whole Exonumia section, it is possible this criterion will change, and that all Micronations will be listed in the Exonumia section regardless of what has happened with their coins/banknotes; however, I have heard nothing about a change as of yet.
Quote: "Sulfur"​​​Different catagories have different criteria. For Micronations to be listed in the Coins/Banknotes sections, the criterion was:

• If the place managed to ge their coins/banknotes to actually circulate, they can be listed in the Coins/Banknotes sections.
​Ok that's a point, but then anyone can argue that the tokens used to pay beers during music festival like Monegros or Viña rock are as legitimate as these ones...
Don’t get me wrong, from my perspective Micronation have their place in the main catalog because they claim to be a nation and it’s why keep them in the main catalog but under the Micronation section make sense to me.
Quote: "Indomini16"​​Ok that's a point, but then anyone can argue that the tokens used to pay beers during music festival like Monegros or Viña rock are as legitimate as these ones...

One could definitely argue that those tokens are just as (or even more legitimate than) those issued by micronations; however, one cannot really argue that those issuing these festival tokens are claiming to independant/sovereign nations, as these micronations are. And with our country list being issuer-based, that is an important thing to claim.

Micronations can be confusing--they are on the line of where fantasies become actual circulating coins. Right now, it is just a matter of figuring out which micronations belong on which side.
Quote: "Sulfur​"​Micronations can be confusing--they are on the line of where fantasies become actual circulating coins. Right now, it is just a matter of figuring out which micronations belong on which side.
​I reckon Micronation should be its own category within Exonumia, since deciding which Micronation belongs where will always be questioned. But who can question that Seborga, Sealand and Hutt River are in the category Micronation? For now we have Christiania in both the main catalogue and Exonumia, which is confusing.
Quote: "Sulfur"​Micronations can be confusing--they are on the line of where fantasies become actual circulating coins. Right now, it is just a matter of figuring out which micronations belong on which side.
​Difficult indeed... Let's take Molossia as an example, are we sure that the "coins" they made are not used to make transaction within the micronation? Maybe they have a bar for the neighborhood friends where you can pay only with the local currency. It's almost impossible to define accuratly if these coins are used for transactions or not as far as most of us don't live there.
So better draw a line for Micronations than 1 by 1 ...
Status changed to Started (stratocaster, 11-Oct-2021, 21:23)
Ei pessoal. Eu também aprovo colocar a bandeira - é a única micronação sem. Até enviei uma sugestão de inclusão mas ainda não foi aprovada. Sugeri adicionar 4 moedas de lá que consegui - 3 já foram aprovadas e uma ainda não. Estou à espera. Eu apoio o hasteamento da bandeira. Bom trabalho a todos.
Quote: "meduardo29"​Ei pessoal. Eu também aprovo colocar a bandeira - é a única micronação sem. Até enviei uma sugestão de inclusão mas ainda não foi aprovada. Sugeri adicionar 4 moedas de lá que consegui - 3 já foram aprovadas e uma ainda não. Estou à espera. Eu apoio o hasteamento da bandeira. Bom trabalho a todos.
​Don't worry it will come, a bit of patience and in a bit it will be there :-)
QuoteIndomini16Em
Quotemeduardo29Ei pessoal. Eu também aprovo colocar a bandeira - é a única micronação sem. Enviei uma sugestão de inclusão mas ainda não foi aprovada. Adicione 4 moedas de lá que consegui - 3 já foram aprovadas e uma ainda não. Estou à espera. Eu apoio o aceleração da bandeira. Bom trabalho a todos.
Não se preocupe que virá, um pouco de paciência e daqui a pouco estará lá :-)
Tudo bem. Parabéns pelo trabalho aqui na Numista. Sempre bom colaborar também. 😃😃😃
Christania is not a Micronation, it has no government at all. It's a "Freetown".

Here a citation from internet

Christiania existed under special conditions for 40 years with constant conflicts and clashes between the local Christianites and the Danish state.
After many years of uncertainty about the future of Christiania, an agreement was entered in 2011, which meant that on 1 July 2012, a foundation, the Foundation Freetown Christiania, was founded.
The foundation now owns the entire part of Christiania located outside the protected ramparts and leases buildings and land on the ramparts, which are still owned by the state. Part of the money is raised by selling the symbolic Christiania shares.
Globetrotter
Coin varieties in French:
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Quote: "Sjoelund"​Christania is not a Micronation, it has no government at all. It's a "Freetown".

​Define "government". Do Lundy and Sealand have governments?
There are many definitions
1 the governing body of a nation, state, or community: "an agency of the federal government"
2. the system by which a nation, state, or community is governed: "a secular, pluralistic, democratic government"
3.he group of people in office at a particular time; administration: "the election of the new government"
and others

Christinia has no head of the township, no parlament, no elections, no dictator, no president, no king or queen.

I think first you have to define the word Micronation?
Globetrotter
Quote: "Sjoelund"​Christinia has no head of the township, no parlament, no elections, no dictator, no president, no king or queen.

​This goes for pretty much all listed micronations, I guess. Maybe except Seborga which is a legitimed towns, right?

Hutt River was dissolved on 3 August 2020, by the way.
Quote: "Sjoelund"​I think first you have to define the word Micronation?
​Yes, and this has been the main issue since the creation of the category Micronations.
Quote: "ngdawa"​​Yes, and this has been the main issue since the creation of the category Micronations.
​Agree!
Micronation is a small area or political entity that claims national sovereignty but is not recognized by other sovereign states.

I doubt about the political identity, small area yes! How can you have political identity without elections or inplace of that, a dictator?
Globetrotter

These micronations should stay in the coin catalogue because they claim independence and have their own coins and currency. Didn’t the United States in it’s fight for freedom have coins and currency specific to the colonies? And didn’t the United States as colonies for a time not have a large scale government but still had local currencies and coins, so in a way then you would have to consider the colonies themselves micro nations and move some of the early United States coins to Exonumia? 

I visited Christiania twice during August, and I only saw Danish krone circulate. I didn't see any coin sets or any signs about the Christianian løn coins. I don't think that's a thing anymore.

Status changed to Rejected (Jarcek, 12-Oct-2022, 15:35)

I am joining all flag requests into one: https://en.numista.com/forum/topic125579.html

Catalogue administrator

Ulmo

You can see here the flag of Freetown Christiania / Kopenhagen

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciudad_Libre_de_Christiania#/media/Archivo:Flag_of_Christiania.svg

Ups, I see, that the chapter of Christiania has been discussed soon… Sorry

Here a few links of coinage in christiania, it could be interesting for these discussion.

https://www.taedivm.org/christiania1.html#_FED_ISSUES

https://christianiacoinbog.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/coinage-of-denmarks-free-state-christiania-a-history-of-cash-and-hash-1971-2008-edited-from-the-danish-by-cj-hinke/

http://chiefacoins.com/Database/Micro-Nations/Christiania.htm

The mintage of the latest FED and Løn are so low, that you need connection to get one. 20 years ago it was possible to get real currency coins in Christiania.

All the Best
Ulmo

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 00:54.