Venezuela Y#35 and Y#35a - difference? [solved]

18 posts • viewed 306 times
Hi everyone, I wonder what is the difference between these two coins. In fact I don't find any difference (just the year of course). Why do we have different catalog pages for the two coins? Why is it Y#35 and Y#35a not just Y#35?

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces5317.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces9488.html

thanks
DonChori
Different mintmark?
Looked it up in the original Yeoman book and it says Y35a has a smaller shield.
Possibly due to where they where minted because the first one was struck in Philadelphia US while the other in Paris France.
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​Possibly due to where they where minted because the first one was struck in Philadelphia US while the other in Paris France.
​That's no reason for adding the letter. Mintmarks are not a major change of the design. But quickelephant is right, the size of the shield is slightly different. Thank you!
Status changed to Solved (DonChori, 28-May-2021, 08:02PM)
Quote: "DonChori"
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​Possibly due to where they where minted because the first one was struck in Philadelphia US while the other in Paris France.
​​That's no reason for adding the letter. Mintmarks are not a major change of the design. But quickelephant is right, the size of the shield is slightly different. Thank you!
​I was talking about the place the coin was minted not the mintmark although the shield size seems more explainable than the place of mint.
But the place where the coin was minted doesn't even make a difference on the coin and would be much less a criterion to give it an extra letter. :.
Quote: "DonChori"​But the place where the coin was minted doesn't even make a difference on the coin and would be much less a criterion to give it an extra letter. :.
​Hmmmmm understandable.
Quote: "DonChori"
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​Possibly due to where they where minted because the first one was struck in Philadelphia US while the other in Paris France.
​​That's no reason for adding the letter. Mintmarks are not a major change of the design. But quickelephant is right, the size of the shield is slightly different. Thank you!
​Yeoman adds a letter, but Schön just uses a decimal, Schön# 43.1 vs # 43.2.
The Numismatic Catalog of Venezuela lists it as a type difference for a design (mv25cts-aa01 and mv25cts-ab01).
Created this showing differences:

Quote: "rsirian1"​Created this showing differences:

​thank you!
Quote: "rsirian1"​Created this showing differences:

​You are a Genius... All coin variants should have this function!!!
JustforFun...
Quote: "JustforFun"
Quote: "rsirian1"​Created this showing differences:
​​
​​

​​You are a Genius... All coin variants should have this function!!!
​Thanks but I was just copying what ZacUK does.
I just suggested adding an automatic feature for generated flipping images of two coins.


https://en.numista.com/forum/topic110477.html
Quote: "rsirian1"​Created this showing differences:

​nicely done
Quote: "rsirian1"
Quote: "JustforFun"

Quote: "rsirian1"​Created this showing differences:
​​​
​​​

​​​You are a Genius... All coin variants should have this function!!!
​​Thanks but I was just copying what ZacUK does.
​we need to send Zacuk a crate of beers!!!
JustforFun...
Quote: "bjherbison"​I just suggested adding an automatic feature for generated flipping images of two coins.


https://en.numista.com/forum/topic110477.html
​that will help with all the variants
JustforFun...
The differences:
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 10:39AM.