SOVIET UNION 20 KOPECK 1942 [solved]

21 posts • viewed 406 times

» Quick access to the last post

This coin has come to me in a change and it has caught my attention because it should be copper nickel but its appearance looks like zinc, and the weight is less than usual. At that time of the Second World War, all over Europe, zinc coins were being made. Is it possible that this also happened in the USSR?
weight 3,02
diameter 22 mm


Hello,
 I am a Spanish collector of coins per years. I look for exchanges with others collector, I am in the habit of using the valuation of the catalogue krawse for the changes, but I am opened for any other offer.
Hi coinsmcr

Firstly it maybe a normal 20 Kopeck but severely damaged and worn that explains it being underweight.

Secondly if this coin is a counterfeit it would have been made by the Germans to destabilise the economy with fake money or because of the war maybe a Soviet citizen made these because of a coin shortage due to the conflict (most likely the person was found and sent to the Gulag).

Finally if this coin is a fake but this time produced after the war by either criminals or buy people stuck in the Gulag make the money to hopefully escape and have change to pay for goods such as clothes and food.
I think it was found with metal detector and chemically cleaned, therefore the metall looks different. There may be some difference in metall for the WWII coins because of evacuation of Mint and metall shortage because of war needs, but no zinc coins were issued

Quote: "Worldwide collection"
​Secondly maybe this coin is counterfeit but maybe it was made by the Germans to destabilise the economy with fake money or because of the war maybe a Soviet citizen made these because of a coin shortage due to the conflict (most likely the person was found and sent to the Gulag).

​Finally maybe it is a fake but produced after the war by either criminals or buy people stuck in the Gulag make the money to hopefully escape and have change to pay for goods such as clothes and food.
​wow, so many stereotypes in one message8.
MY SALES . Cheap bulk lots of medieval coins, rare issuers, silver, Russian Empire, Rus' Principalities, Kievan Rus', errors etc.
It certainly doesn't look like a zinc coin, zinc coins always look somewhat blueish. But like Grinya says, it looks like your coin has been in contact with an acid (or other chemical product) which affected your coin and explains the loss in weight.
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​​Firstly it may be a normal 20 Kopeck but severely damaged and worn that explains it being underweight.

​Secondly maybe this coin is counterfeit but maybe it was made by the Germans to destabilise the economy with fake money or because of the war maybe a Soviet citizen made these because of a coin shortage due to the conflict (most likely the person was found and sent to the Gulag).

​Finally maybe it is a fake but produced after the war by either criminals or buy people stuck in the Gulag make the money to hopefully escape and have change to pay for goods such as clothes and food.
​Like always, a lot of "maybes" in your answer. Do your really think your guessing/assumptions/nonsense is helpful?

But maybe you're right and the Germans did destabilize the economy by making fake 20 Kopeck coins. I would have made fake banknotes but who am I.
Quote: "Essor Prof"
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​​Firstly it may be a normal 20 Kopeck but severely damaged and worn that explains it being underweight.
​​
​​Secondly maybe this coin is counterfeit but maybe it was made by the Germans to destabilise the economy with fake money or because of the war maybe a Soviet citizen made these because of a coin shortage due to the conflict (most likely the person was found and sent to the Gulag).
​​
​​Finally maybe it is a fake but produced after the war by either criminals or buy people stuck in the Gulag make the money to hopefully escape and have change to pay for goods such as clothes and food.
​​Like always, a lot of "maybes" in your answer. Do your really think your guessing/assumptions/nonsense is helpful?

​But maybe you're right and the Germans did destabilize the economy by making fake 20 Kopeck coins. I would have made fake banknotes but who am I.
​Corrected the Maybes.;)
Quote: "Worldwide collection"
Quote: "Essor Prof"
​​​Like always, a lot of "maybes" in your answer. Do your really think your guessing/assumptions/nonsense is helpful?
​​
​​But maybe you're right and the Germans did destabilize the economy by making fake 20 Kopeck coins. I would have made fake banknotes but who am I.

​​Corrected the Maybes.;)
​Maybe you missed the point?
The Germans tried to destabilise the British economy by forging £5 and £10 notes, I hardly think they would have tried to destabilise the Russian economy with 20 kopek coins. These coins are notoriously poorly produced due to the lack of metals used for the war effort. I have a complete set of wartime ussr coins and they are all poor quality strikes, so that is the answer to your query.
Quote: "Offa"I have a complete set of wartime ussr coins and they are all poor quality strikes, so that is the answer to your query.
Does your wartime 20 Kopeck coin also have that much weight loss?
Quote: "Offa"​The Germans tried to destabilise the British economy by forging £5 and £10 notes, I hardly think they would have tried to destabilise the Russian economy with 20 kopek coins. These coins are notoriously poorly produced due to the lack of metals used for the war effort. I have a complete set of wartime ussr coins and they are all poor quality strikes, so that is the answer to your query.
​As I know Germans minted quite a lot of fake notes, but this was not so well prepared operation as for UK and they were poor quality. This was one of the reasons for the money reform of 1947.

Definitely nobody would waste metal during the war to fake low value coins
MY SALES . Cheap bulk lots of medieval coins, rare issuers, silver, Russian Empire, Rus' Principalities, Kievan Rus', errors etc.
Quote: "Grinya"
Quote: "Offa"​The Germans tried to destabilise the British economy by forging £5 and £10 notes, I hardly think they would have tried to destabilise the Russian economy with 20 kopek coins. These coins are notoriously poorly produced due to the lack of metals used for the war effort. I have a complete set of wartime ussr coins and they are all poor quality strikes, so that is the answer to your query.
​​As I know Germans minted quite a lot of fake notes, but this was not so well prepared operation as for UK and they were poor quality. This was one of the reasons for the money reform of 1947.

​Definitely nobody would waste metal during the war to fake low value coins
The operation Bernhardt notes were of good quality but with one flaw in the design which made them distinguishable from the real ones, ​
Quote: "Worldwide collection"​Hi coinsmcr

​Firstly it maybe a normal 20 Kopeck but severely damaged and worn that explains it being underweight.

​Secondly if this coin is a counterfeit it would have been made by the Germans to destabilise the economy with fake money or because of the war maybe a Soviet citizen made these because of a coin shortage due to the conflict (most likely the person was found and sent to the Gulag).

​Finally if this coin is a fake but this time produced after the war by either criminals or buy people stuck in the Gulag make the money to hopefully escape and have change to pay for goods such as clothes and food.
​Is it not an idea, you shut up for a while (like 10 yrs)? Nobody is waiting for your nonsens-comments and nobody will apreciate them too.
Maybe it is a good advice read many threads here and try to learn something about coins, before you start to bark again. More important learn some decency...My english is poor but I am sure you understand what I am saying.
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
intristing thred dumpsterfire.animated.srily.gif
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Quote: "Essor Prof"
Quote: "Offa"I have a complete set of wartime ussr coins and they are all poor quality strikes, so that is the answer to your query.
​Does your wartime 20 Kopeck coin also have that much weight loss?
​yes the weights of each coin in the set vary from the norm, again because of the war


All my 20 kopek, y#111, measurements.
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Thank you all for your comments.
The answer is possibly a combination of poor war-minting quality, poor preservation, and very aggressive cleaning.
Hello,
 I am a Spanish collector of coins per years. I look for exchanges with others collector, I am in the habit of using the valuation of the catalogue krawse for the changes, but I am opened for any other offer.
Status changed to Solved (coinsmcr, 9-Jun-2021, 02:16PM)
Quote: "Sjoelund"

​All my 20 kopek, y#111, measurements.
​That is a very detailed record of each coin.
Doing that for all you coins - must have taken a lot of patience
Deleted
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Yes, I have done that for more than 30% of my collection. In the beginning I didn't have a jeweller's scale, neither a calipher. I had a a magnet and after some years I learned, that KM existed. Then I started to measure all new coins going into my collection and later I became a contributor to the km catalogs for all countries (supplying the measurements and new images, if they were missing).

Yes, it takes some time, but it's well spent in my opinion, since I can now answer queries like this one about the russian 20 kopek coins:wiz: Two of the coins here were without measurements, but because of the question, I took the time to do them and the result is as you saw.
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Impressive
I just checked the amount of measured and not measured coins in my collection, 70% are up to the standards and the rest is missing some measurements or even a grading! Rome was not build in one day. My collection consists of more than 40.000 different coins (Country, denomination, year, mint and variants), so quite a few are missing, but typewise I would think I'm around 95%.
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 09:21AM.